Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Five Inch Barrel In Idpa ?

Timpe

I'm new to IDPA actually I stoped by the first major shoot in Jefferson City Mo. a few years back to Observe looked very challenging. At the time I was tied up in IPSIC. I,m trying to sell a S&W and was in negociations but it went south because the pistol has a five inch barrel. What is the guideline for barrel length in IDPA?

Thanks Timpe

4 inches

Thanks Mr. Walsh now that same length requirement doesn't apply to IPSC or ICORE does it?

Timpe

Nope, they are still legal in USPSA and ICORE. IDPA banned the 5 inch barreled revolves about 5 years ago since they were not 'pratical'.

IDPA banned the 5 inch barreled revolves about 5 years ago since they were not 'practical'.

And too many shooters with 5" guns were showing up, kicking a$$ and taking names! That's how they got rid of those. <_<

Thanks agin! To bad about such a narrow minded ruling. Seems to me there are a few five inch government models in that game . Oh well I'll stick with IPSC.

Timpe

Edited by Timpe

Thanks agin! To bad about such a narrow minded ruling. Seems to me there are a few five inch government models in that game . Oh well I'll stick with IPSC.

Timpe

That not an apples to apples comparison. The barrel of a 5" semi-auto includes the chamber while the barrel of a 5" revolver does not.

Timpe

That not an apples to apples comparison. The barrel of a 5" semi-auto includes the chamber while the barrel of a 5" revolver does not.

Ok I'll play, and what is the difference in overall length between a 5" 1911 and a 5" 625?

Hint: one of them has a 1/2" longer sight radius.

Double hint: it ain't the revolver. :rolleyes:

Thought the reason for the 5" guns being taken out was "Wilson wasn't making them"! He runs the game, and if you aren't buying his equipment, your not welcome....

Just the way I was treated when I attended a local IDPA match. They wouldn' even let me shoot for fun(no score). What the heck, it's my CW gun?

Scott (some of us got big hands) B

Ok I'll play, and what is the difference in overall length between a 5" 1911 and a 5" 625?

Well, according to the S&W Web site, the difference in length is that the 5" 625 is 1 5/8" longer. The 5" 625 is listed at 10 3/8" while the 5" 1911 is listed at 8 3/4". Any more questions? :rolleyes:

Well, according to the S&W Web site, the difference in length is that the 5" 625 is 1 5/8" longer. The 5" 625 is listed at 10 3/8" while the 5" 1911 is listed at 8 3/4". Any more questions? :rolleyes:

Never really had a question, I own both, so in some regards it was a "rhetorical" question to highlight the spurious nature of the chamber-in-barrel point, but thanks for asking. To get to the longer length on the revo you must include the different grip angle and measure to the apex of the grip; well below the bore of the barrel. The rule change was a barrel length change, not an overall gun length change. Please note that in the IDPA rule book that revolvers are specifically exempted from fitting in "the box". So the overall length must be a moot point in any case; it may also be embarrassing to find that a 5" revo can be turned to fit in the box anyway.

You're "apples to apples" comment was that the difference is due to the chamber being in the 5" 1911 barrel. I think that's an "apples to hamsters" comparison, but I'm glad you took the time to look up the data. When you get a chance, align the business ends of a 1911 and a 5" 625 side-by-side and you'll see that the overall length of the 5" 625 is shorter (hammer to muzzle) than the overall slide length (hammer to muzzle) of the 1911. If you have any more questions about that I'll be happy to answer them as well of course. If you have some lucid rationalization for how that makes the 5" revolver impractical for personal defense while the 4" is, (compared to all the semi autos that will fit in "the box" that is 8 3/4" long, without regard to barrel length) we may have to take that discussion elsewhere based on Merlin's comment.

I think the reason(s) for the change was stated more clearly by Nemo and Scott. Barrel length on 5" 625's was a Red Herring.

Now I wish to honor Merlin's request that this doesn't become (yet) another dogpile on IDPA. In that spirit I think it is helpful to explain to the OP that IDPA is a company owned for-profit branch of Bill Wilson Enterprizes, not a member-operated volunteer organization like USPSA, ICORE, et al, and is therefore subject to different rulemaking processes. Without going into detail here, the further subsequent rule making (specifically in IDPA revo) proved that the issue wasn't about barrel length and practicality, but was about guns coming over from USPSA & ICORE and taking all the marbles home; too many folks went out and whacked off their barrels (or bought 4" guns) and nullified the rule change, albeit at an unnecessary considerable expense. The fallout from those changes can be researched elsewhere.

The bottom line is that the exclusion of 5" revos isn't based on relative concealability or practicality, or some spurious parity with 1911 barrel lengths, it was erroneuosly viewed as an easy way to handicap the revo competitors from other established games; pure and simple.

Don't be an aggie, we are talking SIGHT distance, not over all lenght.

He was not talking SIGHT distance-he specifically asked about overall length. But more importantly, let's talk about the term aggie. Care to explain that comment, as I have only heard it used to describe students at certain universities or homosexual sailors?