Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Correct Shotgun

RayB

Just Retired .Started hitting some clays.We go to a range in Pa.

with our own thrower. Using an Ithaca Pump 37/ 12Ga.

Then we went to Thunder Mountian A Range in NJ.to watch.Looks like 99.9% are using over&under guns.

Where do you start when trying to come up with the right gun? Is the Beretta Silver Pigeon 686,687L or ll

the way to go? As you know these GunsGo for $2K+

Thank You All

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how deeply you want to get into it.  I shoot a 682 Gold Beretta, and have something like 35K rounds thru it and no problems.  Yes, I paid over 2500 for it, but it will last you for ever if you take care of it..

I bought both my sons a 391 Sporting for Christmas last year and they love them.  I tried them but could not get used to the bolt going back and forth by my ear.

RayB,

It's doesn't make a stinkin' bit of difference for general fun shooting.  All a gun has to do is pattern decently and actually work.  If the Ithaca is what you use in the field, great!, stick with it.

I guy I really respected used to shoot trap with the ugliest, most roached out Winchester 97's he could find.  He'd let me borrow one of his whenever I need that little extra psychological "advantage."  (Nothing PO's a high dollar gun owner more than getting whooped by some 16 year old yahoo with a $75 special.  Plus, with the '97, it's really easy to catch the shell mid air when you shuck it - something else that makes people cringe.)  

If you're shooting a lot, you might want to consider a gas gun for comfort.  If you're trying to impress the fella's at the country club, spring for the O/U with the extra $5K in engraving.

Do fly before you buy.  Do not buy thinking that a dramatic improvement in your score will be the net result.  For Sporting Clays, that pump will be a handicap for certain pairs, so that may be a good justification to upgrade.

E

Hello,

It is good advice to try(shoot) as many guns as possible before you buy. Most shooters would be glad to let you try their shotguns during practice.

There is no "shooting" advantage between auto loaders and the O/U. It just depends what feels better and what you want to spend. Shoot some autoloaders and some different O/U's with different bbl lengths to give you a feel for the balance and your preference. Light shotguns are an advantage for hunting but not clay targets.

Autoloaders have less "felt recoil" and are cheaper. Generally, they are not as reliable or durable as a quality O/U ,but you can buy 2-3 of them for the cost of a single $2,000 stacked gun. Beretta would be the best bet in autoloaders.

In the $2000 and under price range I would stick with the Browning and Beretta. Lot's of them around and both are proven and reliable.

There are many good used sporting clays guns that can save you a lot of money. Just make sure the bbls have not been altered and it doesn't look abused.

Good luck and have fun.

Ray

I shoot tactical shotgun and 3-gun mostly but just recently (3 weeks ago) started shooting 5-stand. My first time out I shot a 7 out of 25. Second time 17, then 18 and now 21. I get goofy looks when I haul out my Benelli M1Super90 with 8 shot tube but you know what, I like it and I'm very comfortable with it. If you like that pump and feel comfortable with it, spend the money you saved by not buying an expensive over/under (for now anyway) on cases and cases of shotshells and go out and do lots and lots of shooting.

Good luck. I'm just starting to see how much fun shooting at flying clays can be.

My favorite real clay gun is either a Browning Sporting clays O/U or a Rizzini O/U.  But I've shot good scores with my Benelli M1 Practical with an aimpoint.  I just love the looks I get when I load up with a techloader.  You'd a thunk I needed to use the servant's entrance! My All time favorite though was the time I used my buddy's Win 97 trench broom with ventilated handguard and a 3 foot bayonet! Rather than use a rack you'd just stick the gun in the earth while you waited to shoot.  I'm surprised that Beretta, Browning or Kreighoff don't have bayonets as a standard feature.    

Thank you all for helping out. I think for now I will keep trying with the Ithaca Pump and see how it goes.

In the mean time I will keep my eyes open for a used Beretta O/U.What do you think about Franchi,s O/U?        Thank You all Ray

For years Franchi made autoloaders that weighed 5.5 lbs.  I just don't think a double with  an alloy receiver is a good idea.  Light weight will beat you to death and then there is the question of durability.

Ray,

If you're really serious about an O/U, look hard at the Veronas.  (Marketed by BC Outdoors, I believe.) They're relatively new to the US market but the ones that I've seen are very nice given the price tag.  I saw a very nice field grade in the travelling PMC truck that was $1100 *retail*.   Their most expensive model is only about $2000-2500, which might sound like a lot, but is very reasonable for a quality O/U.  

Keep in mind that a $750 Beretta 391 is every bit as usable and is more comfortable to shoot.  The 391 is becoming the 1911 of the clays world.  It seems like everyone is making some kind of part to customize it these days.  (Not that it needs much of anything except some weight in the stock.)  Think about giving one a whirl.  I sure love mine.

E

Dang it Brian!  Cut it out!  

I damn near broke down and bought a Verona O/U on the spot a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately I was able to get leave the area before I could pull out my checkbook.    Now that the fever has passed, you have to start taunting me...

...must...resist...temptation....do...not...*need*...new...shotgun...

:)

Flex,

It's just the damn temptation of it all...  ;)  I don't want to know how "sweet" the O/U's are, or the next thing you know I'll be jetting down to Mitchell's and making a very unsound purchase.

E

(Edited by EricW at 1:58 pm on Aug. 30, 2002)

I could give you pages of pro retoric on the advantages of O/U shotguns.  It is mostly between your ears what matters most of all.  It is just like pistols, you shoot better with what you like and feel good shooting.  Most of the hot rocks now shoot autoloaders with the 391 leading the pack, Browning in 2nd.  O/U's give you instant choice of chokes and usually handle better, and that could be pertinent when you shoot true pairs when each have enough distance to need different chokes.  the pros to autoloaders is softer recoil and cheaper investment initially.  Unless you are sponsored and have a bag full of extra parts to fix your auto during the match, you will probably do better with an O/U  I have never had a problem with my 682 Beretta and have over 35K rounds through it.  If you don't plan to shoot a lot, auto is probably the way to go.

Nothing is as nice to look at, hold and shoot as a quality O/U, but practically any auto will break them just as well as an O/U.  I knew Bobby Fowler, Scott Robertson, and Bob Brister when they all shot O/U, but Bobby and Scott now shoot auto loaders because their sponsors pay them to do so, Brister shoots an auto because he has had two retina operations on his eyes and the recoil is less.  There you have it.

UPDATE:Thanks for all your help.So this is what I ended up with.I went up to my local dealer and he had In stock a New Remington 1100 Sports about $700.00

Feels Good Looks Good.What do you think of the 1100?

Thanks Ray

Ray,

I'm not saying Remingtons 1100's are bad, but the Beretta 391 is substantially better.  It is better engineered, comes with more chokes and accessories, and will run and run and run without meticulous maintenance or cleaning.  Like Tightloop said, it also does not use consumbable parts like O-rings.  The stock is easily adjustable for cast and drop and comes with the parts you need to adjust it with.  You also get a very nice takedown case with the Beretta.  The only thing I've had to buy for my Beretta is a check pad when I got the gun fitted.  That's it.  No tuning, no custom tricky parts, nothing.  You pay your dough and get a workable gun and everything you need to go.

My 391 also patterns extremely well.  It patterns a full step tighter than my Browning.  i.e. an IC choke in the Beretta throws the same pattern as a Modified in my Browning (using the original type Invector chokes).  

As for reliability, the 1100 has a lot of stamped steel parts, which tend to break down over the long haul.  (This is not from personal experience, just anecdotal reports.)  I've seen rental 390's with probably tens of thousands of rounds through them still running without much significant maintenance or cleaning.  (Note:  I don't recommend this, it's just what I saw.)

Finally, while the 1100 is dominant for 3 gunning because of it's capability for accepting extended mag tubes and the wealth of accessories available, the 391 really dominates the gas gun scene in the clays world.  There's very little you can't get for it:  new stocks, forend weights, custom triggers, recoil buffers, yadda yadda yadda.  

If it sounds like I'm trying to steer you away from the 1100, you're right.  It was great in it's day, but has been eclipsed by better technology.  You will not regret getting the Beretta.  I promise.  

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 7:08 am on Sep. 2, 2002)

Whoops!  Didn't read closely enough...again.  I've got to start paying attention.  :(

Ray,

Sorry for railing on your new baby.  You'll really love shooting a gas gun over your trusty pump.  Very comfy, but still light enough to hunt all day with.  

Enjoy!

E