Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need A New Laptop:(

Did a search, but the last laptop talk was 2005, and the other was all about Dell. So here goes...

Been planning to buy a new Laptop, but just never got the time to get one. But now, my laptop is crashing and being sluggish and all. :angry: I think its high time i get my ass up and look for one. Been browsing all day, and MAN!!! there's a lot of them since the last time i bought one.

So i need your help guys. I'm gamer kind of guy. the type who likes to play while having his lunch at work. Heavy graphics shooting games... Quake, Half-Life, Fear, and other stuff. But budget always plays the villain... thing is, i'm only willing to pay 1,500.00 for a laptop. Got any advice? and where to get them at the lowest price? :D

Edited by sandman_sy

Take a look at the dell XPS laptop line. They are a completly different beast then their regular line. I have one of the smaller ones, and when the place I work for bought it for me it was about $1600 very nicely configured. The should be a bit cheaper nowdays and they do have decent video cards available. The large versions are quite nice too, but they get way out of your price range.

I can tell you that I recently bought a Dell and I was very disappointed.

Their laptop display quality (IMHO) does not match the normally high standards of the other Dell equipment I have owned.

I bought an Inspiron 17" with their best display and graphics card and the image quality is wretched.

All LCD displays have what is called the "screen door effect".

If you look very closely, you can see small horizontal and vertical lines in the display.

In most displays this effect is very subtle and does not detract from the quality of the image.

In the Dell this effect is very pronounced and the display looks like crap.

There is no way to adjust it out.

It appears to be inherent in the manufacture of the display.

My advice to you is to buy an HP.

You will be a lot happier with it.

Tony

Ok, XPS 1201, Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 x 2ghz, 4mb cache), 1gb ram, 80gb drive, dvd burner, 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce Go 7400 is $1503. Is it a screaming gamer machine which will play everything at the best possible frame rate? No, but for $1503 it is a pretty nice machine. I have one configured kinda like that (actually I have the first generation Duo, pre Core 2) and I can play Neverwinter Nights 2 at close to full pretty. I'm also not the only Enosverse member to have one, and the other guy I know has one is also pretty happy with his.

yes, its only 12, but it is a widescreen. It is a bit of compromise, and you can always plug into a real monitor at home.

My experience with HP's has been pretty poor, but maybe they've gotten better.

Another vote for Dell, I've been beating one all around the country for the last 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat (it even got knock off a table by a TSA person once in KC). Of course all the newer wide-screen versions are much cheaper now so I'd like it to break so the company buys me a new one but this one just keeps ticking......

Anybody here has experience with Sony VIAO? what model is good? i love the look and price is reasonable.

Was looking at the 17" Dell Inspiron. the High End config. But seems that the display is not so good huh :o

Wish i had the dinero to buy a XPS. Read about it, and man, there's a lot of rave about that Notebook. My desired screen size is a minimum of 15.4". I like experience my games in a big screen!! heheheh :wub:

Edited by sandman_sy

The Sony Vaio's are not bad for the dollars. Screens are awesome and the speed is pretty tough to beat.

For a serious gamer though, Alienware really is the only way to go. They're expensive but for what you get they really are the best.

Since 90% of what I do is internet, I just picked up a simple HP. When I get back to the real world, I'll be getting another Dell for drafting, etc.

Rich

My wife has a Inspirion 1505 with a 2ghz duo and a X1400 with the highest end screen they make. She really likes it, but the x1400 is not killer video card. The screen looks good to me, with no artifacts.

I love my ThinkPad :wub: I got mine from some place called Euclid Computers in Ohio IIRC.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I had a problem ( my fault, loaded some software that caused some issues ) and CS walked me through the whole thing.

I have a Z60m. It is more or less a desktop replacement. Big screen, wireless and has the pointer/stick in middle of keyboard as well as touch pad for mouse. I like the stick. :D

Things just got a bit serious for me. :( My bro and sis found out that i was on the market for a new laptop. they too wanted one... "We're getting whatever your getting" Crap, Oh the weight of the world. If i get a crappy one, i'll never hear the end of it.

SO HELP!!! :blink::blink::blink:

sony vaio.....except for all the crap they put on it (sony this, sony that) strip it of its proprietary software and yur gud.

IBM thinkpad .... except the chinese own it now. so dunno.

Have to ask George if the apple line is gud as I dunno.

Just say no to Dell, Toshiba, HP, Gateway.

Alienware makes a laptop now. Uber cool. Dunno how it performs.

Falcon Northwest makes a laptop. UBER Coolio. Same same. falcon-nw.com

Puget systems. rockio solidio. dunno laptopio.

Gotta pay to play

Edited by Sandoz

From fellow soldiers, the Alienware laptops just flat out run, but like everything else Alienware, you're going to pay for it.

For $1,500 it's tough to beat a Vaio or an upper tier Dell.

The IBM ThinkPad's are flat out awesome. I don't like their screens too much, but the computers are actually pretty quick.

Rich

no matter what you do , DO NOT finance with dell. They farmed it out to people in India ( their tech support goes there now too, though helpful.. not easily understood to someone not into computers, they just try to paraphrase note cards) the financial services are nightmares send you payment in less than 10 days b efore it's due and they harass you all day with phone calls. weekends too.

I hear that IBM think pads are the toughest if your hard on things that might be a really good thing. there seems to be a bit of a Lull in technology upgrades right now. Good luck in your search!

I've had a Dell E1505 for the last few months and haven't had any big complaints. 1.83 Ghz Core Duo (I bought it like a month before the Core 2 Duo's came out... damnit), I have an ATI X1400 video card, not the greatest, but I can run COD2, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 and America's Army without any issues. The one issue I did have was with IE, the graphics always loaded very fuzzy no matter what setting I changed, installed Firefox and everythings fine.

This thread caught my eye because Dell came up in conversation recently, and it was said that they were anti-gun. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't know if they are or if they have no opinion.

No, they aren't. They officially have no opinion, and only small 'no weapons in the workplace' signs like the rest of corporate America does. I know many shooters that work there, including some high-up positions ;)