Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"d" Class Production Shooter

mgcchkn

This video is a test of my new hat cam set up and is my 5th match. Could you all please take a look at this video and give me some tips on how to improve? I know the video doesn't show much, but please critique me on what it does show. :) Thanks a million. Sorry about the video quality.

My video

Eric

Eric,

Sweet clip man. That is a great setup, any chance you could tell me what set up your using for the camera and accessories??

It looks like your going at a safe pace just watch your muzzle direction. How long have you been shooting?? The thing I noticed was your grip...... Have search on this forum about correct grip, it looked like you had your right thumb tucked under your left palm.

Also when you shot through some of the ports you may have gone into them a bit deeper than I would have, If you put your gun through a port your gonna have to pull it back out and that will cost you a bit of time.

What was the RO oh'ing about at the end of the second stage.....The single handed shots???

Hope this helps.........

Nice work again on the clip :D

Edited by Rumpy

My video rig is from viosport.com, I got the SCOUT model. But they quit selling them with the Archos 500's for some reason, now only with a video camera. I got the Archos kit with the cam. It's pretty nice so far, I just have to play with the lenses and the filters.

I haven't been shooting very long, this was only my 5th match and we have them once a month. I did also notice my grip, I think I picked up that habit from a basic pistol class and concealed carry class. That'll have to be something I consciously work on.

I agree I went a little far into a couple ports, and that was after telling a first time shooter not to go into the port if they didn't have to and it would save them some time. lol

Yeah, the RO was oh'ing about that one handed shot. Kind of an inside joke. There is another guy that started shooting the same time I did and we have a picture of him doing some one handed "terminator" stuff. The other guy is who I usually stack myself up against, so the RO made a big deal about it all in fun. :) (so far that other guy hasn't placed higher than me! woohoo!)

One other thing that I can think of that I'm doing wrong other than going at a snail's pace is not keeping my gun in front of my face when I do a reload. My cadence on that last stage (a classifier) seemed good to me, just way too slow.

Thanks, Rumpy, for the help. :)

Anyone else, please feel free! And don't pull your punches either, give it to me straight!

I found that while head mounted cams are really cool for some things, the best way to see your own performace if by having someone else hold a camera for you.

That aside, The three things I saw are: Grip, and ports, as mentioned above, and speed. You seem to be moving slowly between shooting positions. I don't know if that is because you don't feel comfortable about going faster or because of what shape you are in, or maybe you had uncomfortable shoes that day :) Anyway, you can speed your movement quite a bit. Your splits are a bit slow to, but let experience and your eyes control that, don't rush them. I can't really see your reloads, but it is possible you are dropping your gun too much, try to bring in to your chest at about the same height as your normal shooting stance.

Finally, on stage two, I have no idea why engaged that far left target from the far right. I assume you did that for reload math reasons, but seeing how you had to get right next to it anyway, I don't think it was worth it. You can always find the time for another reload on a stage like that, even if you have to drop 1/2 full mag somewhere.

Actually on stage two, I would have taken the first 3 targets from around the end on the right, then the fourth through the second port, eliminating on spot you had to stop, reload, engage the next 2, reload again, and finish of the last 5.

+1 on the above. Only your 5th match! Come back after your 20th or so and look at this thread again. This sport is more mental than many think...I improved my shooting by just shooting with A's and GM's and then thinking about what they were doing to be fast. Shooting on the move accurately is something that comes with time. I think mental comfort will bring you along too...the more you have the plan laid out in your mind the faster you will be able to execute it smooth and correct. The accuracy thing is also comfort with your gun. If you do not already...shoot with two eyes open. I also look over the gun a little when I am up close....it helps me see without the gun clogging up the picture in a small place. I like to see the holes pop in the target at a distance if conditions will permit. A GM once told me "I don't shoot much faster than you, I just make up the large difference in transitions and economy of movement". Keep it up and you will feel the change coming on! Good luck.

Great shooting, especially for a beginner. All the points brought up seem very legitimate & can help you in big ways, especially the reloads & movement. A couple of little things I might add. Stage 1, at the end when you shot a paper target, then went to the poppers, your gun dropped out of firing position as you moved from the paper to the poppers & then you did it again on the other side. Not a big deal, but you asked! :P Also, you might check out Matt Burkett's instructions on entering a box. The classifier stage was very good but as you dropped into the box, it looked like some wasted time. Plus it seemed you started your reload late as you were moving. Not big things or large time wasters but maybe something worth thinking about. Again, good shooting! Keep up the good work.

Mark

We had a classifier only match a couple months ago and I shot Production, Limited 10 and Limited all with the same gun just to get classified in those divisions. Same exact gun, no modifications between divisions. I shot "D" in Production and "C" in L-10 and Limited. I wanted to do the best in Production, but the stars were aligned against me that day. This video is the first match I've shot since watching Burkett's Vol 1-3 video. I tried entering the box like he said, but I don't think I did. I cut a couple of practice runs between boxes from the video, but for some reason it required too much thought to enter the box and shoot! lol

Thanks for every thing so far guys. Keep it coming. :) My next match is a Multi-Gun match of which I've never attempted before, not even in practice yet.

Are you calling your shots ? Are you seeing the front sight lift out of the notch ?

Probably not as much as I should. After listening to BE on Burkett's podcast and Vol 3 about calling your shots, I understand the concept, I just need to practice it more now. Most of the time, after I shoot a stage I'm somewhat surprised where my hits are. Sometimes I think I shot great but didn't and other times I think I screwed up but had good hits. On a stage at that last match that didn't get recorded, I thought I did ok, but when I checked the targets, I actually missed a couple of shots all together and I hit a NS which completely surprised me. The only time I really make a conscious effort to see my sights is on longer shots and steel, other than that, I don't really really know if I'm just point shooting or what. Man, after typing that, I can see why I'm a "D" shooter.

I know there are a bunch of things I need to practice, but what is the order of importance? Reloads, calling shots, splits, transitions, movement, etc...

Eric,

My advice would be to totally ignore your spits until your able to call your shots, IMHO trying to get fast splits is counter productive if you can't call your shots - Especially if your getting Mike's..... Also follow through on the long shots if need be.

I've only been shooting IPSC for 18 months, I went from ungraded to master in 10 months (production). I spent the first 2-3 months going at a snail's pace concentrating on 'Alphas'. If your not getting at least 80% of the available points...... Your going too fast. It's hard not to listen to the shooter squadded before you shoot and get into their cadence. Like it's been said plenty of time before...."Let your front sight dictate your speed!!!" You gotta trust it!!!

*. Accuracy

1. Calling shots

2. Transitions

3. Reloads

4. Movement

6. Splits

Edited by Rumpy

• 5 months later...
My video rig is from viosport.com, I got the SCOUT model. But they quit selling them with the Archos 500's for some reason, now only with a video camera. I got the Archos kit with the cam. It's pretty nice so far, I just have to play with the lenses and the filters.

I haven't been shooting very long, this was only my 5th match and we have them once a month. I did also notice my grip, I think I picked up that habit from a basic pistol class and concealed carry class. That'll have to be something I consciously work on.

I agree I went a little far into a couple ports, and that was after telling a first time shooter not to go into the port if they didn't have to and it would save them some time. lol

Yeah, the RO was oh'ing about that one handed shot. Kind of an inside joke. There is another guy that started shooting the same time I did and we have a picture of him doing some one handed "terminator" stuff. The other guy is who I usually stack myself up against, so the RO made a big deal about it all in fun. :) (so far that other guy hasn't placed higher than me! woohoo!)

One other thing that I can think of that I'm doing wrong other than going at a snail's pace is not keeping my gun in front of my face when I do a reload. My cadence on that last stage (a classifier) seemed good to me, just way too slow.

Thanks, Rumpy, for the help. :)

Anyone else, please feel free! And don't pull your punches either, give it to me straight!

Eric,

Can you tell me what size lens you were using in the clip???

I don't recall which lense that was, I think it was the regular lense that came on the cam. I have since moved to the wide angle lense, but am not sure which one I like better yet.

I don't recall which lense that was, I think it was the regular lense that came on the cam. I have since moved to the wide angle lense, but am not sure which one I like better yet.

Thank you,