Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 627-4 8x.38 Super Issues

David Sinko

I have a S&W 627-4 8X.38 Super which I bought new a while back. As I see it, S&W could've made this gun to fire without moonclips but for some reason did not. My 625 will hold and fire individual rounds just fine, so why couldn't the 627 be made the same way? My guess is that they could've but just didn't want to bother. I don't like having to depend on moonclips for the gun to fire. Also, this gun will not shoot cast bullets at all. I have tired all shapes and sizes from .355" to .357" and they literally hit sideways at six feet. But it shoots plated bullets beautifully. The cylinder locks up properly so my guess is the chambers were not bored properly. Does anybody else have the same experiences? This is a good gun but I believe S&W did not care to invest the time and effort (expense) to make it a great gun.

Dave Sinko

The 38 super is one of the few guns that S&W made for competition shooters, probably one of there reasons they didn't bother to make it work without a moonclip. I own two of the supers, #174 and #192 of the original run and the barrels slug in at .356 and .354 respectivly. Both guns off a ransom rest at 50 yards will keep all the shots in the x-ring of a NRA D1 target. This is with moly coated lead bullets and Zero's 135gr jacketed bullet.

Don't know what is wrong with your super, but if you want to sell it, i'll buy it off you.

.38 Super being a nearly rimless case, needs full moon clips to work as it was never intended for revolver use but auto guns. I agree too, this is a competition gun, not a gun that everyone would want. Most $1,000 revolvers take a very serious person that really wants this gun.

I have a couple of these myself and have to admit, I'm not crazy about the accuracy

so far, now that's with my bullets and brass and powder selection.

A friend gave me some ammo with .357 sized 125 CMJ and JHP Montana Golds in

(I think) Starline cases using 4756 powder. They are great in the accuracy dept.

and made 127 pf.

John, I'm amazed at the difference in bore diameters between your two 627 supers,

I would have assumed they would have been closer than that :huh:

They are cool guns and I hope to get a good recipe for them, until then I think I'll

have to stick with my 38 spcls for now.

I too have a .38 Super, and was tragically disappointed initially with the fit and finish of my gun. #513. Mine was purchased in Australia, and came without front sight pin, and a broken ratchet....that's correct broken ratchet. You try getting anything done quick in Australia from S&W. Due to my customer service knowledge, and the ability to not take no....or BS for an answer, I convinced the Agent that they would either replace the gun, or pull the cylinder and ratchet from a new one, as I was not prepared to wait for months to have mine sent back and repaired. When we finally got it running, it shot so poorly, that I ended up using my old 627 for the ICORE regionals, as I couldn't get the super to group. Eventually, after not receiving any response to my emails to S&W, we re barelled it with a 9mm blank. :D It works now, but my overall experience with this gun was terrible. I understand that if you live in the USA, S&W service is outstanding, and since then I have had no issues, and have several other S&W products. I guess I can put that down to a "Friday Gun " :(

I know that some of you will now be thinking, what was your load, powder, bullet diametre, weight,etc etc . Let me tell you that we tried over 40 differnt loads, all from a ransom rest, and the best result was just over 2.5inches at 25yards. Not competetive for the standards. :wacko:

In closing, let me say I feel your pain. :D

I know that some of you will now be thinking, what was your load, powder, bullet diametre, weight,etc etc . Let me tell you that we tried over 40 differnt loads, all from a ransom rest, and the best result was just over 2.5inches at 25yards. Not competetive for the standards. :wacko:

In closing, let me say I feel your pain. :D

Sheez...I'm getting better than that Mark, wonder what was wrong with that one ?

I do not believe that my .38 Super revolver should need moonclips "to work." If my 625 can fire the totally rimless .45 ACP without moonclips (I said fire, not extract) then I believe the 627 could've been made to do the same with the semi-rimmed .38 Super. All they needed to do was bore the cylinder properly and leave a lip to hold the case mouth. I don't like having to depend on expensive moonclips to get the gun to fire in an emergency. My gun is very accurate with bullets that wear copper. But is anybody out there having any success with cast bullets? Having a revolver that will not shoot cast bullets is a bitter pill to swallow. I admit that my gun is very good within its intended element, which for me is competition shooting with plated bullets and a clean powder. It will easily go 1000 rounds or more without having to scrub the chambers between stages and with the one load I use it is absolutely reliable. But I really wish I could use cast bullets for practice.

Dave Sinko

I just finished looking at my slug kit and #174 is .356, #192 is .3555 and the 38/357 with 5" full lug barrel is .354. got the guns all mixed up.

My loads for the super's, is 135gr billy bullet with 3.7 gr VVn310, and it runs at 1000fps. With zero's 135gr, i'm using 4.0 gr VVn310, same velocity.

Hey Mark, do you have any more c-more mounts???

David, I agree with you. Unfortunately, you get whatever SW thinks you want.

I owned a 38 super 8 shot, and after some experimentation I found out what it would shoot. I loaded up 147lfp sized .357, used a Lee Factory taper crimp die, and had great accuracy with titegroup powder. These were plate loads, which was what I used it for. I sold it before I sent if off to get a .355 barrel, which is what I would do if I still had it.

You will need to slug the barrel or just rebarrel it, period. By rebarreling it to .355 bore size and "taylor" throating it you will get the best accuracy with a large amount of projectiles. In the competition circles I have been running the last 10 years the 8 shot woes you have heard here are common place. I personally know a guy that bought an 8 shooter, dry fired it 8 times, and something broke and he couldnt even turn the cylinder. Back in the box to Smith....they fixed it and it was fine after that, but like Mark said, it is pretty frustrating to pay that kind of money and have those problems out of the box.

As far as the moonclips go, that is the way you have to go with the super. If you dont like it I would encourage you to buy another 8 shooter in 38spec. then you wont have to use clips.... ;) We all need another gun, right???? :)

Regards,

DougC

Hello Mr. Rodriguez....

I do have 20 more mounts that I brought over for the Steel Challenge, and forgot that I had. I found them on Sunday morning looking for ear plugs at a 3 gun match. I was speaking to one of our CA whelgun compadres on Sunday night and he has earmarked one, and I am also about to put one on my gun, since I am still running the higher proto type. Are you coming over for the Mid West regionals next month.

talk soon

Mark

Hi Dave....

I think that I still have the barrel.....we may have to play with it one day, and get to the bottom of the issue.

Mark

Slug that puppy Mark, after reading the other post I'm going to check mine :o

Hey !! we gonna see you at the PSA now that you live here in the states ?

I do not believe that my .38 Super revolver should need moonclips "to work."

Dave Sinko

What DougC said Dave, S&W could have done just like the 625 and the 610 but nooooo,

they had to be different <_<

And the rest of Doug's post is spot-on, he's done a TON of experimenting with revo's and

know's what he's saying IMO

I just finished looking at my slug kit and #174 is .356, #192 is .3555 and the 38/357 with 5" full lug barrel is .354. got the guns all mixed up.

That's real interesting ...I have a couple 38/357 5 inch barrels, wonder if I could get one

to work on a 627 Super ?? Now I have slug all my stuff :o

Hey Mark, do you have any more c-more mounts???

Hey Mark !?!? post a pic of that mount, you might get a few more sold !?

(or did you already and my foggy memory is failing :wacko: )

Edited by 10mmdave

Hi guys....

I will get some photos of the mounts and post them late Monday night. These are the lowest mounts that I could / would run on my own gun. The idea is that the lower you can get the dot, to the centreline of the barrel the better. :unsure:

Til Monday......... :wacko:

I know that some of you will now be thinking, what was your load, powder, bullet diametre, weight,etc etc . Let me tell you that we tried over 40 differnt loads, all from a ransom rest, and the best result was just over 2.5inches at 25yards. Not competetive for the standards.
Dang, Mark, I have a couple of police trade-in M10s that beat that by at least a half inch. :wacko: Bummer!

When I bought my RPM 38 super 8-shot revo a few years ago used, I was really disappointed with the accuracy with 125 pf loads. It was about 4" at 25 yards. I was using a Zero 125 JHP .357 bullet. I decided to try the Zero 125 JHP .356" bullet and kick it up a notch. The faster that bullet went the better it shot. What I ended up with was the Zero 125 JHP 38 super bullet, Fed 200 primers, Starline brass, 8.3 gr 3N37, 1370 fps and 1.5" 16-shot groups from the Ransom Rest. With the comp and that much powder, it actually felt really good. Shot this at the IRC a few years ago without any problems on the chrono stage!

BTW, this gun will shoot without moonclips but not that reliably. You really need the clip for proper headspace.