Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the deal with choke tube grease?

Bill Schwab

I've never heard of "choke tube grease."  Sounds like a bunch of hokum to me.  Slide Glide or any other grease or lube or anti-seize ought to work just dandy.  

The reason choke tubes stick isn't because of improper lube, but because they were shot loose or left loose - allowing residue to build up underneath, wedging them in.

E

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bill.......What they said......except chokes backing out during a session is a problem me thinks. Keep the threads clean and lube the first two threads only with a grease of your choice...........

I'll trade you some Tetra (what I use) for some of the Slide-Glide...to demo.

TR

I am pleased to report that Slide Gliding my choke tube has been a resounding success.  Not that I've actually shot the gun yet, but based on *extensive* living room testing I've concluded that the sticktion provided by SG makes your choke tube less likely to back out under tactical combat conditions.  

;)

Seriously, I did see "choke tube grease" on a web page the other day.  My "expert" assessment: whoop-dee-f-ing-doooo.  Anti-Seize.  What an innovation!  I think any heavy grease or lube will work just dandy.  I have heard that grease can be used as "threadlocker" of sorts for stuff you'd actually like to take apart again.  So far, the theory seems sound.  

E