Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working Towards A Goal

BBunin

So I've decided that I'm going to focus on JUST this, until I can achieve it. Shooting primarily Production, it's more important than in other divisions, and the C/D's have been costing me.

I ALMOST made it this last match. One Charlie and one Mike/NoShoot.

The Charlie was me not taking the time with the second shot and the gun had not come 100% back.

The Mike/NoShoot was one of 5 A zone only, bracketed by NoShoots, at 25 yards. I missed the shot by about 2". That one was just pure bad luck, I guess.

The end result was that I ended up placing right about where I usually do. Smack dab in the middle of the pack; 21 out of 38. I don't know if I should be pleased, because I slowed way down and still stayed where I was at, or be pissed, because I shot virtually all A's and didn't make it any higher.....

What did I learn?

That I STILL need more work on the A's before I can start focusing on speed, but not much more!

Edited by BBunin

So I've decided that I'm going to focus on JUST this, until I can achieve it. Shooting primarily Production, it's more important than in other divisions, and the C/D's have been costing me.

It's important in all divisions.

I ALMOST made it this last match. One Charlie and one Mike/NoShoot.

The Charlie was me not taking the time with the second shot and the gun had not come 100% back.

Lesson learned. Don't shoot until you're back on target. See the sights, see the target, shoot the A zone.

The Mike/NoShoot was one of 5 A zone only, bracketed by NoShoots, at 25 yards. I missed the shot by about 2". That one was just pure bad luck, I guess.

Luck had nothing to do with it. If you hit allmost all A zones on other shots, you could have hit the A zone on this one too. Best guess, you lost your focus on accuracy and rushed the shot.

As for being in the middle, don't let it bother you. You're working on accuracy skills, not place. When you've got the accuracy where you want it, speed will follow. When both come together, your placement will improve, guaranteed.

Lee

The end result was that I ended up placing right about where I usually do. Smack dab in the middle of the pack...

I'd say you did pretty well actually. Especially considering your new goal: shooting all A's. That's a tough goal in that you will naturally overcompensate by "slowing down" too much. Maybe think of it like you're going to "shoot good points." With practice, you'll find that it doesn't take any longer to "find the middle of the target - shoot the middle of the target" than it does just to "shoot at brown." Don't be too careful - but do be deliberate. A series of deliberate actions is quick and precise...

be

The advice I was given by a very experienced shooter for double noshoots A zone only targets was to move your aim point to the upper A zone. At 25 yards the average group size is 4-6" so shooting at a 6" A zone surrounded by noshoots doesn't leave much room for error. Moving to the upper A zone tells the brain this is a smaller target and we need to refine the aim. And brain can distinguish whether the sights are aligned enough to make the hit. If you get a mike it is down 15 instead of down 25 with the mike/noshoot. This method at 10 yards becomes a no brainer as it is like shooting at a full target.

I don't believe I am saying this. Don't worry about all "A's"

Brian just gave you a "secret" to paraphrase him and change an Enos-ism.

A's are the byproduct of proper attention.

I am not saying shooting A's is a bad goal. Just trying to help achieve a later goal.

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!

I know that I'm fast enough for B/A class, when I go full speed. The problem is that my accuracy goes into the lake when I do. And shooting minor really highlights it! So I figured to get to where I could consistently shoot all A's, then speed up gradually. When I start dropping the A's, stay at that speed until I CAN get the A's, then increase speed again. Once I get to a good speed with all A's I can afford to speed up from there.

I guess what I'm going for here is perfecting my form. As BE and a lot of others have said, speed comes with smoothness.

Had to shoot a plate rack stage that included weak hand this weekend. I was really stressing on this, going in.

As I brought up the gun on the weak hand portion, I ABSOLUTELY could NOT get the sights to hold still. After wasting a second or two trying, I realized just how hard I was gripping the gun. I relaxed my hand while watching the sights and SAW them settle down, right on the target.

Lesson learned:

• Practice your weak hand. We all say we need to but we never do.
  • A proper grip is even MORE important with the weak hand
  • If you can't get the sights to settle down, check your grip ASAP!

:) DEATH to Plate Racks! :)

Edited by BBunin

• 2 months later...

So...

What's new????

Been shooting lately?

BTW, I had your hat from the WSSSC in my truck....I left it in the hotel....So someone in AZ has a nice XD hat.

Later,

Roberto