Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Truely A Shotgun Start

GmanCdp

has anybody used a shotgun to start a COF ? thougt of a stage were the shooter starts with a shotgun,from low ready, loaded with 2 rounds and must engage 2 poppers before using thier holstered weapon...

Sounds too much like 3 gun....LOL

has anybody used a shotgun to start a COF ? thougt of a stage were the shooter starts with a shotgun,from low ready, loaded with 2 rounds and must engage 2 poppers before using thier holstered weapon...

Sure! Nothing wrong with that as long as its safe.

It breaks up the boredom with the usual stages too.

G

that would be multigun...lol :)

lynn

lynn

I am thinking, shotgun, sidearm and BUG....three gun....lol

I see no reason not to. The thing is though, you'd have to be liberal with regard to what shotguns the competitors chose to use, unless you were providing it along with the ammo. It sounds like fun.

Mike

I'm not sure how that would work out. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to throw one of my shotguns down on the ground so I can draw and fire my pistol a bit faster.

Lee

I'm not sure how that would work out. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to throw one of my shotguns down on the ground so I can draw and fire my pistol a bit faster.

We have done this many times in our IDPA matches, including at night shoots. The club or MD needs to provide a shotgun for the stage, but shooters may use their own. Either way, there is a heavily padded area to set it down, usually an open rifle case on a table.

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I have seen people miss both poppers at a close distance in these stages. They are a hoot, especially at night when you have to hold a flashlight while shooting the shotgun.

Ken Reed

lynn

I am thinking, shotgun, sidearm and BUG....three gun....lol

Lee

[/quote

i'd supply the shotgun and shells and was thinking of using a hammerless 20 ga double bbl shotgun and an elevated old matteress as a place to throw down the shotgun......actually...i was going to use the matteress as part of the scenario..you know.while lying in bed with your girl friend.her boy friend and buddies walkin on both of you...... at the buzz...........wait..i live in the south........this may have happened in real life............or it may go like....while in bed with your sister.. :ph34r: .. :lol::lol:

Edited by GmanCdp

I've done it too. The club supplied the shotgun and birdshot. The starting position was behind a table with carpet on it. 2 rounds in the pumpgun and two poppers about 12 yards away. People did miss the poppers and were allowed make them up with their pistol while moving to cover and the rest of the targets. No one threw the gun.

Edited by Hot Brass

I designed a stage one time that started with three dog targets two shots each at about 35 yds with a rifle. This was String 1. String 2 started with a shotgun with 5 rounds at low ready. The shooter had to open a door and shoot 5 poppers. If they missed, they had to engage with their handgun, then move about three yards to another door and engage three more targets with two shots each. I supplied the rifle (SKS), shotgun (Mossberg 500) and the ammo for both of them. This was a fun fourth stage at a classifier match. Everyone had a ball!

Edited by COF

I designed a stage one time that started with three dog targets two shots each at about 35 yds with a rifle. This was String 1. String 2 started with a shotgun with 5 rounds at low ready. The shooter had to open a door and shoot 5 poppers. If they missed, they had to engage with their handgun, then move about three yards to another door and engage three more targets with two shots each. I supplied the rifle (SKS), shotgun (Mossberg 500) and the ammo for both of them. This was a fun fourth stage at a classifier match. Everyone had a ball!

i like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

would it be to much to have a stage designed like this at a regional match?????????

would it be to much to have a stage designed like this at a regional match?????????

Sorry, but in a sanctioned IDPA match, you can only have handguns.

• 2 weeks later...

We use shotguns all the time. In the majority of cases your start with a loaded SG at the low ready.

If you start with a plate rack or some poppers it makes it very interesting.... since misses mean you will now have to knock them down with your handgun.

The SO ALWAYS loads the SG and double checks the number of rounds loaded.... then the empty gun is place on a table with a piece of carpet on it before he can engage the other targets.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from the Badlands idpa state match...they had a stage in the match that got approved from A/C to use....as a matter of fact......D' man himself from HQ shot the COF and thought it was OK...nobody complained about using the shotgun [xcept me..blew by the 2nd steel popper]...started with it on a table,4 rnds loaded..empty chamber,at buzz pickup shotgun,rack slide to load engage 4 steel targets,lay down with action open before leaving position..if you missed..had to reengage with sidearm before moving...

this is the 1st that i've seen at a state match....and may open up new area's of COF's for the future............hmmm...a 3 gun state match in IDPA.......... :ph34r:

Edited by GmanCdp

This CoF was in fact approved by the area coordinator and I did enjoy this stage. I have used a shotgun to start a stage in a number of club matches. It helps add a different perspective to the match and a new level of fun.

That being said, currently IDPA is about handgun shooting. We do not have a set of multigun rules therfore a shotgun should not be part of a sanctioned match. I was able to observe a number of people that the unfamiliarity of a shotgun, combined with match pressure, could have affected their score. I don’t think it went that far, but the possibility was there. I know that there are some that would use this as an argument against the use of “found” or “down” handguns in a match. There is some small merit to this argument but it is still a handgun and uses the same essential skill set. As long as the gun is set to where all you have to do is pick it up and shoot with out looking for a safety or making a reload, it is OK. A long gun is a whole different set of actions and skill set. A letter is going out to our AC’s asking them not to approve any future CoF’s using long guns.

This does not mean that there is no place for a shotgun in IDPA. A side match using a shotgun can be fun and an additional source of income for a match for those that would like to see more use of the old street howitzer.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

Just got back from the Badlands idpa state match...they had a stage in the match that got approved from A/C to use....as a matter of fact......D' man himself from HQ shot the COF and thought it was OK...nobody complained about using the shotgun [xcept me..blew by the 2nd steel popper]...started with it on a table,4 rnds loaded..empty chamber,at buzz pickup shotgun,rack slide to load engage 4 steel targets,lay down with action open before leaving position..if you missed..had to reengage with sidearm before moving...

this is the 1st that i've seen at a state match....and may open up new area's of COF's for the future............hmmm...a 3 gun state match in IDPA.......... :ph34r:

Well, I'm disappointed. IMO, IDPA is a is less about a well rehearsed COF and with more surprises along the way. This removes part of the variability.

Using a standard shotgun (nothing unusual like a Saiga or speed fed gun) as a prop is a long way from a multigun match. Multigun matchs have you own and practice and bring a second firearm. The second firearm would be used roughly as much as the pistol. This isn't moving us to a 3gun sport!

One of the tenets of IDPA that I love is the idea of recreating RW situations, and going to someones rescue (officer down) or needing to pickup a strange gun ... well those feel like they belong with the other excellent stages that are thought up.

And if it's acceptable/encouraged at the local level ... well shouldn't the sanctioned matches be allowed to include rather than be forced to exclude the practice.

There is VERY little difference between this and a revolver pickup, or a Luger with a 30 lb trigger, both experiences are VERY foreign to modern day semi shooters, and give small advantages to revolver shooters ...

Hmm, I could go on. I'm just here to ask that you rethink removing these options from large matches. Allow the MD to decide to include them or not. The match was sanctioned, that says it was considered and fit the spirit of IDPA. Allowing them will not mean that there will be one at every match, it just means that it won't automatically be rejected.

Bottom line is they are going to favor a more rounded shooter, and that feels right.

-Kenneth Moore

Sorry, but in a sanctioned IDPA match, you can only have handguns.

This CoF was in fact approved by the area coordinator and I did enjoy this stage. I have used a shotgun to start a stage in a number of club matches. It helps add a different perspective to the match and a new level of fun.

That being said, currently IDPA is about handgun shooting. We do not have a set of multigun rules therfore a shotgun should not be part of a sanctioned match. I was able to observe a number of people that the unfamiliarity of a shotgun, combined with match pressure, could have affected their score. I don’t think it went that far, but the possibility was there. I know that there are some that would use this as an argument against the use of “found” or “down” handguns in a match. There is some small merit to this argument but it is still a handgun and uses the same essential skill set. As long as the gun is set to where all you have to do is pick it up and shoot with out looking for a safety or making a reload, it is OK. A long gun is a whole different set of actions and skill set. A letter is going out to our AC’s asking them not to approve any future CoF’s using long guns.

This does not mean that there is no place for a shotgun in IDPA. A side match using a shotgun can be fun and an additional source of income for a match for those that would like to see more use of the old street howitzer.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

i've gotten a few emails about this subject..thats ok :P:P ...1st look at the orginal date of this post ..it was in January...it was a question about an idea i had..then drop down to the reply from my then current A.C. that answered that....i didn't know in January that i was going to be shooting a s/g stage at the badlands match...which in my post[[xcept me..blew by the 2nd steel popper]...i should have put in this smilie :lol::lol: ...i was not knocking the stage at all..somewhere i've got an ATA card with the 20k mark on it for birds hit[ or fired at]..that's what i was mad at....my shooting..not the stage idea..i got the stage designs a few days before the match and thought cool..get to try it out after all...but then got to thinkin..would it be fair to use it in a stage counted for score for shooters who never even fired a SG before?? since i was So'ing that match..i talked and got to listen to other shooters talk about the match overall...NOTHING but good responses about the match..and nothing was said about the SG stage other then .."dang" that was fun..so you see ...shooters are looking or asking for more and different idea's in a major match...i guess another way to setup a stage like that would have been start off with the SG...time it till the 4th shot..stop..then at the 2nd beep start over with the handgun...it would at least give the shooter a"rush" to fire the SG as part of the stage..but then not score/time the 1st 4 shots...again...the /Badlands match was a GREAT match..and everybody within striking distance needs to shoot it... B)

I've done it too. The club supplied the shotgun and birdshot. The starting position was behind a table with carpet on it. 2 rounds in the pumpgun and two poppers about 12 yards away. People did miss the poppers and were allowed make them up with their pistol while moving to cover and the rest of the targets. No one threw the gun.

Gman, note that I'm a fan of the idea and if HQ approves it, so will I. As an A/C, it is my job to approve a sanctioned match COF based on the rules that HQ lays out. If asked to vote, I would say "let's lay down some simple rules and go for it!" As of today, I have not received a letter from HQ on the subject.

There were quite a few things I had never done with a pistol before getting into IDPA and had to learn on-the-fly. For example, shooting on the move, prone, moving targets and a bunch of other stuff. All of these things just made me want to learn how to do them better. I've got a group of guys who have been bugging me to do some sort of 3 gun with IDPA rules and I love the idea. I just wish I had time to shoot some 3 gun matches and get some experience. Then we could sit down and come up with a set of rules that were based on the principles of IDPA...

• 3 weeks later...

We did it once at a local match, but we ended with the shotgun. It was a 20ga. pistol-gripped pump with buckshot, and you shot it point blank at the -0 section twice. The first guy who shot it blew out the whole section of the target. After that, we just left the center out and assumed that everybody hit it if there weren't any other holes in other zones!

• 11 months later...
I am thinking of incorporating a shotgun in this weeks CBS IDPA match. Some neat stuff has already been mentioned in this thread. Any new updates/experiences or fresh ideas on scenarios? :mellow:

should be fun...any extraneous weapons should only augment the basic sidearm in any match...as long as that tenet is upheld, I can dig it..

• 2 years later...

I have shot a few club matches that use a shotgun to start a stage. One memorable match was a night match.... I was happy I hit the steel. I like stages that include pick up guns because you get to try new toys. I never thought I would like shooting a .44 mag but I did.

I have shot a few club matches that use a shotgun to start a stage. One memorable match was a night match.... I was happy I hit the steel. I like stages that include pick up guns because you get to try new toys. I never thought I would like shooting a .44 mag but I did.

Not for sanctioned matches.

From the rules clarification on the IDPA website:

Appendix SIX - IDPA Organization

Additional language to F. Sanctioned Matches. page 63

Blind stages are not allowed for use in sanctioned matches.

The use of long guns in a sanctioned match is not allowed. This

does not mean that there is no place for a shotgun or rifle in

IDPA. Sides matches using a shotgun or rifle can be fun and an

additional source of income for a match. Inert (non-firing) long

guns may be used as stage props.