Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leftie in a right handed world

noname

I have been looking at the Beretta 391. Is the grip, stock, and controls such that a left handed shooter could easily operate this gun? If not, what options do I have for purchasing a semi auto shotgun of similar quality and price?

The main issue is with the crossbolt safety.  I know on some guns that they are reversible.  I don't know if that's true on the Beretta.  You might want to call Beretta USA and ask.  Angle Port and Seminole gun works do a ton of customizing on 391's and they may well have an answer to this.  

I can't think of another auto that won't have the same issue.  The rest of the controls work fine lefty or righty.  If you're only shooting clays and not hunting, the safety is pretty much a non-issue as well.  I set it to OFF and leave it that way for the day.

If you're willing to settle for a pump gun, the Browning BPS is totally ambidextrious and ejects the shells downward to boot (a la Ithaca).  The safety is on the top of the receiver.  It's such a good idea ergonomically, it's hard to believe that it hasn't been copied more...

E

Thanks Eric,

I found this question and answer at the Beretta USA site.

"Does Beretta offer a left-handed version of the 390/391?

Beretta does not offer a left-hand-bolt version of any of its semi-auto shotguns. The AL390 and AL391 do allow the shooter to change the cast of the stock to left-hand, as well as the operation of the safety to left-hand. Please be advised that the safety on the A391 Xtrema shotgun cannot be converted into a left-hand configuration."

This is encouraging information. I have shot several right handed semi auto shotguns, and I'm not bothered by the shells ejecting to my right.

By the way, the gun is going to be used primarily for hunting.

(Edited by noname at 12:42 pm on Nov. 2, 2002)

You should be good to go!  

You will need to change the cast on your stock before your first trip to the range.  You'll need a screwdriver, some vaseline, and a socket wrench with a deep socket and an extension.  (I don't remember the nut size, but I'm pretty sure it's metric.  The vaseline is to lube the screwdriver tip and keep it from chewing up the recoil pad when you remove it.  The instructions for adjusting the spacer are included with the gun as well as the proper spacers.  I think all you have to do is flip ends left for right on the existing spacer.  You may want to finish reinstalling the stock with a small dab of loctite, although mine has yet to shoot loose.

Don't overlook "fitting" your stock.  It seems a little wacky, but it's 30 minutes well spent.  The 391 patterns pretty tight and you won't be breaking much of anything if you try to go out with and Modified choke and the gun fit for a righty.  

One trick we ended up doing was putting some extra drop into the stock.  My "stock bender"  (AKA the range owner) then stuck on a rubber cheek piece that fit over the top of the comb which effectively took the extra drop back out.  (It comes off with a hair dryer.)  This really increased my comfort level.

I sure hope you like your Urika.  I love mine.

E

(Edited by EricW at 1:08 pm on Nov. 2, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Benelli make true left handed guns. But they are recoil operated and some people don't like that in a range gun, something about the fact that with the recoil operation and the light weight of the Benelli they tend to tap you around a little. Bunch of nannies.

(Edited by gm iprod at 12:43 am on Nov. 24, 2002)