Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Word: Iphone

DJPoLo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stock is goin out of countrol! I got a buddy in SF @ the mac show right now. he texted me to let me know about it. We both bought stock in mac @ about $35 a share a couple of years ago. I bought it right after buying my first mac and hearing about this thing called an ipod. Once your on a mac, you never go back! Keep on mac-kin!

:):):):wub:

Is there really anything to the phone that is not already on the market?.. except maybe better music..? :huh:

It's pretty, has a touch screen, and is high on the cool scale....... OK, that's all I got..... :D:P:P:P

After much industry speculation, Apple unveils the iPhone. B)

-Chet

I remember about 15 years back when I was giving a presentation, telling our guys that portable communicatrion would end up with a pocket sized gadget that handled all forms of communication...... phone, internet, music, video... and we are almost there right now.

I also predicted that it would "talk" to your big screen TV when you are near it deferring visual display to it (or any other comaptible screen in your home).

I also think the little "hands free" phone headset gadget will soon include a small screen you can rotate down in front of your eye and activate specific "buttons" by eye movement.

Apple really jumped the competetition. At $500, those things are going to fly out of stores like cruise missiles.

Iphone bad!!!! MAke sure you can download music over the air!!! HAve been told you can't!

Here is the crazy part about this phone as of today - when they release it, the phone will only be GSM (2G) and the 3G version will be a later edition. Why would such a potential hot, revolutionary phone come out on the older technology??????

Definitely not a forward thinking decision on Apple's part.

Is there really anything to the phone that is not already on the market?.. except maybe better music..? :huh:

Um - there is no ONE gadget that does all it does, yet! You currently have to carry 3 gadgets - phone, ipod and pda. Or you could get by with 2 gadgets, ipod and pda with phone, ie blackberry, blackjack, treo - but those things are HUGE and as far as I know, don't offer alot of storage options - 1g at the most.

My biggest disappointment with the iPhone is the storage. My ipod has 18g of songs, my pda has 3 1g cards... 8g max ain't gonna cut it!

Although it looks spiffy, the iPhone has some real issues.

First thing you have to do is look at what it is. It's a pda/cell phone. They'd ratehr associate it with ipods, but it's readily apparant that it is not primarily a musci player any more than any other phone/pda is.

This measn on top of the $599 price for the 8gb model, you have to cough up $39 a month for the phone contract, and another $39 a month for the data plan. Roughly, to get through your 2 year contract, you are talking $2500. Yow.

Between the capacity and the price, I don't think this is selling to the crowd who buys iPods. For the same capacity, a nano and your current phone take up less space more than likely, and give you better battery life.

Given the price, the primary customer is likely business. Business has been clamoring for a smaller smartphone that takes care of business. The motorola Q was snatched up in droves, and isn't making them happy, mainly due to battery life. But it was only $200.

The iPhone has lots of potential, but basically fumbles it all.

For the business smartphone, the killer apps are A - being a phone B - recieve and send email C - calendaring.

For being a phone, the contact manager interface from the demos is unacceptable. It's cool looking, but imagine going through your 200 person business contact list to get the right guy with a funky gesture for EACH ENTRY. Ow. Hopefully that won't be the only access method.

For calendaring, they support iCal. Which as a guy who HATES excange deeply, I would love nothing more than for the iPhone to be so cool iCal displaces exchange for calendaring. But it won't, and so far nobody has said it talks exchange. Oops. SO the businesses have to change infrastructure, or not get their calendaring.

Email is more or less workable, but... well.. there's the battery. See, the big gripe about the Q and friends, is that even with the giant hunchback jumbo battery, they don't make it through the 8-10 hour day if you actually USE them. 15 hours of music, 5 hours of talk/video. THe battery is not user accessible. We go with the iPod conversion from mareting to reality, you are REAL borderline. You go with standard cellphone conversions to reality, this thing won't make it through a business day at all.

Then you have the size. LOOKS sexy, but the thing is you have a touch sensitive qwerty keyboard in less than 2.4 inches of width.. and no onboard stylus that I can see. I wonder how that works out for replying to email?

Then there's the software. Many businesses might be happy they have a phone that uses OSX underneath. Write some proprietary secure apps for the biz.. but.. well.. you can't. Apple is only letting the blessed few make and sell apps for it.

Then there is the storage again.. No expansion slot for a SD card. ow.

About the only thing going for it is it looks cool, and that it realises in a fairly neat-looking way the idea of a reocnfigurable interface for a multi-purpose device.

With sidekicks, the blackberry perl, the Q, and the blackjack all going for $200, $599 is a bit much to swallow.