Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A-merc 223 Danger Will Robinson

FYI I just shot some a-merc 223 got what I thaught was a bargin <_<

30 rnds loaded into mag..shot 27 # 28 had no primer flash hole primer blew out of case ripping extractor groove off,case stuck real good into chamber.

key holes at 75 yds.

many of the 27 fired had split the cases.

Not such a good deal after all :angry:

Jim

• 3 months later...

I've only bought .45 A-merc. Amazingly it functioned in my .45, but in no one else's I know.

People complain about Wolf, but A-merc has to be the very bottom.

I picked up a few hundred pieces of 9MM A-merc brass this past weekend at the range while grubbing for reload material. I'll post the results when bulletmeister.com removes their heads from their posteriors and sends my bullets.

The only time I ever bought any of that crap was when I got my last Kimber .45 and picked up a couple of boxes just to test functioning with factory ammo.

Half of the brass split when fired and the brass was very thin. Now it seems the brass is REALLY thick, thick enough to feel them when sizing, which is a good way to cull any that make it through earlier inspections.

I stopped selling it in my store once I saw what kind of QC they had. I have never had such poor-performing ammo.

On an interesting sidenote, Black Hills Ammunition (who arguably knows how to load top quality ammo) uses A-MERC brass in their blue box reman line.

Hey! I love hitting those off center primer flash holes when I'm reloading. <_<

I deprimed all of them last night prior to tumbling and didn't have this issue. I will keep my eyes open and as promised will post a report here when I'm finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to HJ your thread GentlemanJim, but.....Just shot off my first batch of this in 9MM with no issues except for one of the 100 or so had an off center primer hole and nearly cost me my decapping pin. Other than that, worked like a champ. Maybe the .223 is flaky from them, but for 9MM range scrap, it worked for me. Full report on first full batch of reloads forthcoming tonight with pics.... amazing power lunch.

Jim,

A good rifle deserves good ammo! Trying to save a couple bucks on ammo is foolhardy. Even if it didn't screw things up, it's probably not suitable except for blasting ammo limited to 50 yards for matches.

Time to get dies to load .223.