Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Stage Prep

sgtlt

I got picked to be the first shooter on the first stage, didnt have time to look the stage over well. Should I have held up the squad to check out the stage better? I shot poorly on that stage. Any advice would be a great help.

Always assume you will be the first shooter.

Make sure to get all the time in your walk through that you are supposed to get.

I have no problem holding up the squad to get my share of time. The flip side of that is that I'm usually doing more than my part to help reset and run shooters the rest of the time.

If you know what you want to do, then shoot. I think many times we have a tendency to let other shooters confirm what we believe is the right path. If you're new, then this could be the case and I'd definitly slide down the line. If not though, don't worry about it. Yes, sometimes someone else will find a better rabbit trick but that may happen regardless. More than likely it won't though - which makes it that much less a factor.

In this forum we always read about sticking with the fundamentals, don't get distracted from this, that or the other.

Never forget one thing. The order has nothing to do with the shooting. The fact that we let it impact us means that before the stage hasn"t even started and we're letting things distract us from the shooting. If you know what you want to do, shoot whenever your name is called. Have confidence in your decisions. The order is random, it isn't the hand of fate reaching down and touching you. It's simply a shooting order that has no bearing on your performance one way or the other.

That's my two cents on it at least.

J

Always assume you will be the first shooter.

With this in mind . . .

Always arrive at a match early enough to check out the stages to your satisfaction, whatever that is.

If you can (like at a major match), find out which stage you are shooting first and make sure you are comfortable with what you will do there. If it is a club match, be familiar enough with all of the stages to get comfortable with ANY one of them during the designated walk through.

For me, comfort breeds confidence. Gotta have the confidence.

I got picked to be the first shooter on the first stage, didnt have time to look the stage over well. Should I have held up the squad to check out the stage better? I shot poorly on that stage. Any advice would be a great help.

IMHO - You should have begged off and asked to be put in down the list of shooters. Without a solid plan you can/will crash - and there is the match in the crapper.

I have a tendency to do that when I shoot first on a stage.....I hate to hear my name called until several have gone before me. :unsure:

Make it a priority to check out the stages BEFORE the match, even at the club level. No one likes shooting the bs before a match, but you need to break away and plan your attack. Those that fail to plan plan to fail.

• 1 month later...

Like others have said, don't let shooting first be a mental block.

I get the jitters every time I step to the firing-line no matter where I'm shooting in line. One thing I have found that helps is to just stop, take a breath, scan the course mentally and remember, that beep won't sound until you have given the RO "the nod."

FWIW

-LP

Edited by LittlePistol

Wither i'm first or last on the first stage I still have the jitters and usually shoot the stage at about 85 % speed just to get it under my belt and warm up a bit. going first on the first stage will allow you more time on all the other stages.

Last yr toward the middle of the yr all my first stages of the match were my worst ones. I didn't realize it until a couple of weeks before Nationals. I was looking over results and noticed I consistently screwing up the first stage, mainly at bigger matches. This was nothing but nerves and "trying" to shoot well instead of just letting it happen. I even told Flexmoney about it on our drive to nationals. Just realizing it was half the battle. I just told myself for a couple weeks prior to nationals that its just another match and they have the same targets I have been shooting at all year. Just relax and shoot. Wouldn't you know it my first stage at nationals was my best stage. Now to apply that to each and every stage will be the next goal to achieve.

Flyin40

• 1 month later...

The first stage for me is the most important one. It is very delicate point to prepare mentally for it (in my opinion). So I repeated for me that my first run must be relaxed and balanced and I risk even to be a bit slower that in usual! Is this philosophy is good for a start?