Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source For .40 Caliber Bullets

paraman1

I don't think the word "cheapness" and "shooting sport" can ever be used in the same sentence any more without some form of conflict. :D

The price of lead, copper and brass ALL went up drastically over the past two years. *Sigh*

Yeah , I know about the cheap thing but most IPSC shooters I know are like Farmers ... They want the best money can buy for next to nothing .

I used to shoot Berrys bullets and then started using West Coast . I know Berrys still exists but couldnt find West Coast anymore .

I am just trying to figure out which plated bullets folks are using and where they are buying them on the cheap (or as cheap as they can get it).

is that it your S_I or your Glock Eric ?? I was speaking with Rich Redovian yesterday and he was saying that some bullets were keyholing in his G24 but when he reefed down on the crimp the problem went away . he basically warned me against buying more than about 100 of anything to start and see what works before buying 20K .

These will be shot out of a stock G35 barrel and yes I know its bad ju-ju but Rich says he can use a Bloody Chickens foot to remove the curse from my barrel .

STI with an STI factory barrel. No clue about cranking down on the crimp. I tried every variation of crimp and none of it made any difference. I agree on the little before buying a lot, but I'd buy 500 to 1K. My problems really got started once my gun heated up.

Mike --- I meant to say I reduced the crimp so the 200 gr. Accura's (now Extreme) would shoot out of my Glock 20. They always shot well out of my Glock 24 no matter the crimp. I will find out how they shoot in my Glock 29 after I get the Vanek drop-in kit for it and get some 10's loaded up. Gonna start with a light crimp and go from there.

I'll give you some of my bullets to try if you want, let me know & I'll bring some to the Emmett match Saturday.

Rainier 180gr plated bullets are $80 per 1000 from Midway, which is cheaper than the xtremebullets. I bought 1000 165 gr ones from them last year for practice loads and they worked fine. I like the idea of the all over plating, less smoke and lead vapor certainly can't hurt--can't be too safe when your health is on the line.

I'll probably buy a bunch of the 180s this year for competition since the Montana Golds I was using went WAY up :(

I've had really good luck w/ "the infamous black bullet" - the moly coated Precision Bullets 185gr TC bullet. They're about $60/K delivered from http://www.precisionbullets.com - delivered. And, David Long (the owner) supports our sport!!!

Slightly smoky, but nowhere near like lead, and it does not appear to be the toxic, thick, sweet tasting lead cloud, but a funky smelling stuff that dissipates quite quickly...

They seal the bore better than jacketed and thus use less powder to attain the same velocity - so they're cheaper in that fashion, too... ;)

I've had really good luck w/ "the infamous black bullet" - the moly coated Precision Bullets 185gr TC bullet. They're about $60/K delivered from http://www.precisionbullets.com - delivered. And, David Long (the owner) supports our sport!!!

Slightly smoky, but nowhere near like lead, and it does not appear to be the toxic, thick, sweet tasting lead cloud, but a funky smelling stuff that dissipates quite quickly...

They seal the bore better than jacketed and thus use less powder to attain the same velocity - so they're cheaper in that fashion, too... ;)

Hello i was wondering what powder you are loading the black bullets with TG????

Give Master Blasters a try. www.masterblastersbullets.com

They are not "moly-coated" but "Poly coated" A little smokier than plated/jacketed, but nowhere close to lead. Safe to shoot out of a Glock. Been using them for about a year. About $54/K delivered if you order the big Maxi-case

Accuracy?? I use 'em for Bullseye, too.

Hello i was wondering what powder you are loading the black bullets with TG????

My current load is 185gr PB, 1.180" OAL, WSP, 4.2-4.7gr of N320 (depending on outside temperature). In the middle of summer here in TX, 4.2gr makes 168PF. In the dead of last winter, at 32 degrees, 4.7gr made 165.1 PF....

Titegroup is used by some folks w/ these bullets, as well... Basically, any powder you'd use w/ jacketed or plated bullets would work with PBs - obviously, YMMV :)

I have a box of 200gr PBs that I've been meaning to test out, but I've been shooting Open exclusively for the past year, so I haven't made it around to it...

Give Master Blasters a try. www.masterblastersbullets.com

They are not "moly-coated" but "Poly coated" A little smokier than plated/jacketed, but nowhere close to lead. Safe to shoot out of a Glock. Been using them for about a year. About $54/K delivered if you order the big Maxi-case

Accuracy?? I use 'em for Bullseye, too.

In my case, I'm running 4.3gr of TG with the 180gr MasterBlaster bullet loaded to 1.175" Runs about 169pf out of my STI Edge. Very accurate load. You notice smoke when your shooting into the sun especially when the sun is low in the horizon.

Only reason i ask about the smoke is because we have a weekly match that is indoors. i wouldnt want to make a bunch of smoke inside haha.

If that's the case then I wouldn't use TG with moly bullets. It's going to smoke. I'm running 3.6gr under a 180 shooting minor and it still smokes. Your lighting the back of the boolet on fire before it gets out of the barrel. Use WSF or another slower powder for the black bullet. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Joe

I use the masterblaster and they smoke, and I am using Titegroup powder also, but they are cheap bullets to shoot and can't complain about the cost. but will smoke and dirty up your gun more. But cleaning your gun is cheap. You can put alot of rounds down range without feeling guilty at the end of your practice session.

I never understood the thinking behind buying plated bullets. For a few dollars more a thousand you can buy the good stuff, and if you buy enough of the better bullets you can get the cost down to the price of plated bullets. plus if your crimp isn't right than you have a keyhole issues(scratching my head)

just my .02 cents

PK

Check out "The Hunting Shack" in Montana for good prices on bullets. They had CCI OEM TMJs, Frontier plated TMJs from South Africa. and some other good jacketed bullets for more reasonable that most execpt maybe Precision Delta...

• 3 weeks later...
I use the masterblaster and they smoke, and I am using Titegroup powder also, but they are cheap bullets to shoot and can't complain about the cost. but will smoke and dirty up your gun more. But cleaning your gun is cheap. You can put alot of rounds down range without feeling guilty at the end of your practice session.

+1. Just ordered myself another MaxiCase and 8 more pounds of TG. I was thinking about buying some jacketed for matches and moly for practice but once again the battle leans towards the lazy side of the house.

Joe

Precision Delta has the best prices for non-lead bullets. They are cheaper than my dealer price for Berrys at Grafs, Berrys direct or Cabelas. I just shot some groups out of my two G35s with stock barrels. I am very pleased with the results.

I just use plain lead bullets for practice. Seems like 180 gr lead bullets run me $26 per 1000.

Edited by Joe D