Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparison Of Four 9mm Bullets For Velocity

Chris Spiess

I recently compared the velocity of identical loadings of four (4) different 9mm bullets. Two of the bullets are copper jacketed, and two are coated with proprietary polymer. Each bullet selection was compared for consistency of weight and length, the details of this analysis follows below.

The following bullets where examined:

1. Hornady HAP, 125 grains
  2. Winchester FMJ, 124 grains
  3. Masterblasters Bullets CCRN, 124 grains
  4. Precision Bullets FP, 124 grains

The swaged bullets from Precision Bullets were the most consistent in weight, followed closely by the swaged Hornady HAP. It is assumed that the Winchester FMJ is also of swaged construction, although I am unable to definitely confirm this; therefore it was somewhat surprising to find that the cast Masterblasters bullets were more consistent in weight than the Winchesters. It is worthwhile to note that Precision Bullets lists their bullet as 124 grains, however, the average weight of the sample set was 125.2 grains, and is the heaviest of any of the bullets measured. Also, I discovered a 121 grain bullet in the sample set of 125 grain Hornady HAPs. I am very tempted to weigh a larger sample set from the carton to see if there are any other 121 grain bullets. This could be a nasty surprise at the chronograph; at major power velocities, the difference is worth about 5 points of power factor.

Bullet%20Weight.jpg

Fig. 1, Bullet weight (grains)

When comparing bullet length, the Winchester FMJ was least consistent in this category as well. The Hornady HAP bullets, Precision Bullets and Masterblasters bullets were all equally consistent in length.

Bullet%20Length.jpg

Fig. 2, Bullet length (inches)

Bullet lengths were used to determine the final loaded cartridge overall length. Cartridge overall length for each bullet type was selected to provide the same internal case volume for each round. This provides very similar pressure curves beneath each bullet type, making the individual bullet types the most significant variable in each of the loads.

OAL.jpg

Fig. 3, Cartridge OAL (inches)

All loads used 3.6 grains on Hogdon TiteGroup, CCI #500 small pistol primers and once-fired Winchester brass. All test rounds were fired from a five inch Para Ordinance barrel over a Alpha Shooting Chrony from approximately ten feet.

Velocity.jpg

Fig. 2, Velocity (fps)

The two polymer coated bullets recorded higher velocities than the two jacketed bullets evaluated. The extreme spread of velocities is 54.7fps. In addition, both polymer coated bullets were more consistent than the two jacketed bullets. However, both of the polymer bullet loads were much smokier than the jacketed loads, the Masterblasters load producing much more smoke than the Precision Bullets load. The Masterblasters load also being much dirtier than the Precision Bullets load. However, it has been my experience with TiteGroup that loads at this level produce smoke regardless of the bullet type. Higher pressure TiteGroup loads, around 140 power factor for example, are notably cleaner.

That’s what I found; take it for what it’s worth. Personally, I am going to stick with the Precision Bullets from now on for both Production and Limited. The velocity difference between the Precisions and the Masterblasters is minimal, and it has been my experience with the Masterblasters bullets in .355 and also .451 that the coating is scraped off the bullet as it travels down the barrel leaving the bare lead exposed; this would explain the additional smoke over the other bullets examined.

This information is available in PDF,

Micah, he's not talking about Precision Delta.

And I am confused why you would spend so much time & energy, when Uncle Bill has been shooting the same bullet (115 Hornady FMJ RN) for the last 10 years. He only has 1 load for that bullet, but it's been tested over & over again, at Major Match after Major Match. I've lost track of how many Nationals he has attended.

I chose to shoot exactly what he shoots, and it's working out fine so far ;)

PD bullets cost less, so I buy 'em.

Micah, Precision Bullets, not Precision Delta. Precision Bullets are polymer coated, not jacketed. Polymers claim to give higher velocity than jacketed for the same load. I was curious to see for myself. In volume, the PBs are a bit cheaper than the PDs.

And I am confused why you would spend so much time & energy, when Uncle Bill has been shooting the same bullet (115 Hornady FMJ RN) for the last 10 years. He only has 1 load for that bullet, but it's been tested over & over again, at Major Match after Major Match. I've lost track of how many Nationals he has attended.

Chris, for production, not the open gun. And it was less then 3 hours total over my holiday vacation, so it gave me something to do.

I chose to shoot exactly what he shoots, and it's working out fine so far ;)

If we all did that, there would only be one bullet and one powder out there. ;)

I will be using Uncle Pip Daddy's load in the open gun, if i can ever get some Remington brass :angry: I'm going to shoot mostly production this year, but I'll pull the open gun out once I've had enough practice time to not embarrass myself more than usual.

This all started somewhat as a conversation with Mr. Schul at a match during the summer where we were discussing different loads and components.

My dad is an engineer and I have two bachelor degrees in pure sciences, which leads to some strange affliction to tinker and experiment.

I definitely appreciate the time and effort.

If I ever load (hopefully, wwb 9mm won't be too snappy for her) for my g/f's new limited minor gun that's being built, I'll probably go with the Precisions for the cost and the positive feedback from everyone here. I'll definitely go with n320 though as it seems to burn a little cooler than TG and will produce a little less smoke.