Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Cost Of Optics

Kimberkid

I am in the process of putting together my first AR for 3 gun use, and the cost of appropriate optics is unreal. It is very possible I am just cheap. I recognize that quality comes at a price, and that you usually get what you pay for. However, it seems that it is gonna be over $400 minimum to get and mount any of the popular optical set ups.

The very idea of paying $1,000 for an ACOG, $750 for a CQT, or very near that for one of the better low powered variables makes me laugh, then cry, then start wondering if I even want to continue with this venture.

It seems that the Simmons 1.5x5 is gonna be about my only option with the budget I am on, and there is very little to get excited about when you are settling for a base bottom option.

Fortunaly I can be distracted from this by the ridiculous cost of .223 ammo.

If I was home I'd hook you up with the miriad of extra scopes I have laying around. Good shotgun scopes can be had for under $200 (i.e. the Simmons, Weaver, B&L, Bushnell, et. al.).

Even the Sightron that I like on occassion is a great option (heck if I can do Top 25 at SMM3G anyone can).

It's frustrating but we have to remember that in IPSC and especially 3-Gun, there are options but with the 3-Gun in particular, nothing worthwhile is "cheap".

Rich

Have you ever looked through really good quality glass?

I have to revert to the saying "you get what you pay for." So the inverse is true, usually, pay a lot and get a really good product.

I like this quote from Ruskin:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's more unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that's all.

When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you take. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin - Poet and Writer (1819 ~ 1900)

My only other advise is eBay, the classifieds here, or maybe on sniper's hide or the lightfighter's forum

Been a LOT of threads on this. Does kind of seem WRONG somehow to spend more on a scope than the rifle cost. :mellow:

Lowest cost: Simmons Pro-Diamond . If you can find one. I tried it, couldn't handle

the 1.5x with both eyes open on close targets.

Next up---Weaver V3. Again, If you can find one. I've got one on my current match

gun. I LIKE the 1x, wish it had a little more horsepower on the top end.

BIG jump.----The current darling, Meopta Meostar K-dot. Also the CQT.

Then it really gets expensive! If I hit the lottery I've GOT to try an Elcan Specter DR.

There is hope! (maybe). Supposedly Mueller is going to have their vaporware tactical

scope ready for market in early '07. Everything you could hope for or dream of, and

around $300. Of course, it was originally supposed to hit the market in '06, '05, and

maybe even '04. Don't hold your breath.

Get the best you can aford and what makes you happy.

<_< I payed a weeks pay for a leupold scope, I had to cring to let the $$$ go.

It was the best shooting $$ I have spent >it has lasted 16 years and 50,000 ,rounds over 100 matches< and it still works great!

The scope is great and worth more now then when I first payed for it.

Yea, I have looked through what most people would call really good glass. A couple high powered Ziess, several of the top sized VXIII, and a mid range Khales. Keep in mind though, this is over $1,000 for glass and aluminum.

I may have talked myself into a decent deal on an Eotech. That is (i think) a pretty good product and a pretty useful set up. I'm gonna get either a low powered Tasco or Simmons, since it aint that big of a risk ($50) and might be of some use.

I totally dig the whole concept of quality control, but paying more for 1 lb. of glass and aluminum than I did for my first car, isnt a pill I can make myself swallow.

The rule of thumb for glass on a rifle is the optics can AND probably should cost as much as the rifle itself. I have a couple rifles with optics on them that are worth more than the rifle itself. Nothing new here ;-)

I am into woodworking also, as a hobby. WRT to 10" tablesaw blades there seems to be distinctions in price point with a corresponding jump in quality. Used to be anything under $50 was crap. Closer to $100 was way better. And then shelling out $150 got you more into the professional shop kinda blades.

Is there any such price demarcation in scopes?

Crap?

Okay?

Good?

Better?

Best?

The rule of thumb for glass on a rifle is the optics can AND probably should cost as much as the rifle itself. I have a couple rifles with optics on them that are worth more than the rifle itself. Nothing new here ;-)

You cannot put a bullet into that which you cannot see.

If it won't hold a zero, it is worth zero.

Hunting or playing games, it's the same thing.