Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Size Shells to Use?

Irridium

Hey, I'm just new to sporting clays, and I am not sure what sort of size shells to use with whilst shooting.

At present, I am using Winner 2000 28 gram 8's to shoot Tower, Skeet & Trap.

Can someone recommend what size & weight I should be using for each discipline I shoot?

Tower

Skeet

Trap

Also, does it matter what brand of shells to use? Are the Winners fine, or should I be using RC1's or does it come down to personal preference?

I've only ever used the Winners, so any help would be great.

Thanks.

(American units here; I understand Euro or English shot sizes are different...)

1.125 ounces (is that 32 grams?) #8 for most everything in sporting clays and trap. #7.5 for the long shots. (This is often the largest allowed at gun clubs.) Some of the guys I shoot with even switch to #9 (skeet loads) for the close SC shots.

Now if you are talking competition, there are payload limits from 24 grams to 1.25 ounces. You are going to have to look into each specific sanctioning body's rules.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dick W Holliday

i got tired of changing my 12 ga loader bushing ect so i shoot 1 oz #8 magnum shot going 1200 at any clay bird.....Dick

Hello,

If you are shooting International style skeet and trap then the 24 gram(7/8) is the required load.

American(regular) style can be 28 gram(1 oz) or 32 gram(1 1/8).

Effective pattern becomes smaller as you drop weight charges.

Sounds like the 28 gram 8 shot would be good all around.

If your "Tower" shots are very far then many people might opt for 7 1/2 shot as it retains energy better than lighter shot, better pattern and better breaks. Less shot in the 7 1/2's, but you need less pellets to break the bird also- always trade offs in life!!

Have fun

Assuming the same distance to each target, as you go down from 32 grams to 28 or 24, you need to tighten your choke everytime you step down to compensate for the lower pellet count and the loss of density at the target.

Also there is no such thing as the Golden BB in shotgun sports.  it takes a minimum of 3 pellets plus the forward momentum and the rotational forces to break or terminally fracture a clay target to get the break with certainty.  yes, there are many variables.  Good luck