Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Master Does It Work?

shooterbenedetto

I have a recoil master that I found and it is heavy duty. I bought it last when I was C class open shooter.

does anybody try this on their open gun?

If by heavy duty you mean it has the heavier of the two springs, I don't think it is recommended for open guns. This is from the STI site:

Light STI Recoilmaster Designed for 9mm, .38 super, 9x21, 9x23, and .357 Sig. factory loads

Heavy STI Recoilmaster Designed for .45acp, 10mm, and .40 S&W factory loads

I guess if you were using 40 or 45 in an open gun you might try it, but with a comp. properly functioning, the slide may not have enough force to compress the RM.

BTW, I have one in my L-10 Kimber .45 and love it.

Hope this helps.

Adam

I had one in my Ltd gun but found a steel guide rod, 12lb spring and shok buff felt softer. It's worth the expierment to see what works best for you. In my Open I run steel guide rod 10lb spring and a shok buff. Pretty simple stuff.

I ran recoilmasters in my openguns for 2 seasons, and still have 1 in my oldest practice gun. If your going to run them in open you had better but 2 or 3 and keep a check on them as they will break at the head. (Send them back to Sti and they will replace them free of charge but that is why you will need 2or3) The gun tracks fairly well and the recoil isnt objectionable, but on my newer guns I run a Sprinco. I really like it on a Sti eagle I have for IDPA. Shooting 38 super with 115's loaded to 125pf is no recoil and no gun movement.

I've never been a fan of adding parts that have additional moving parts, it increases the likelyhood of breakage. And if it's gonna break, it's gonna break in a match. I find too that it adds another 'feel' into the recoil cycle. It's one more 'bump' in the cycle. I like having as little different impulses that I can feel so that anything out of the ordinary can be noticed, it might be a precurser to a jam, or a jam itself.

The GM who builds my open/limited guns runs recoilmasters. He has never had a complaint except the old models were prone to breaking. You use a light in open and heavy in limited.

I have used both the recoil rod and recoilmaster. I prefer the recoilmaster. It is a matter of peception I believe. My perception is the recoilmaster requires less fitting costs and just fells better.

You just have to try and see what feels good to you.

A friend of mine used to have one of these recoil magnifiers. I finally talked him into a tungsten guide rod with a 12lb spring for his limited gun. Funny, he went from a C class shooter to an A class shooter shortly thereafter. Not sure if the guide rod or the recoil magnifier had anything to do with or not...... :blink:

I was thinking of going with a recoilmaster this year but I'm going to pass after reading this thread. I have never had any issues but thought of giving them a try.

Flyin40

Yeah, I thought the same thing about 1 year ago. I figured "what the heck, why not". Then I realized, "why mess with what is working?". So I decided on staying with what works.

Glad I did.