Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior Open Shooter Needing More Optic

hockeydadnu27

I shoot Open Division and looking to purchase a new scope for long range shooting. Our 3 gun matches now have alot more shooting beyond 300 meters. I shoot a JP Trijicon ACOG

4x32 with a EO tech mounted on forearm which is great out to 100 yards. I struggle with the 300 meters and out. I would like to purchase a good quality scope with adjustable optics.

The 1.5x5 scope is not enough to change, need more POWER. Senior shooter my eyes just can't see as well. I need something for 100 yards and out to 400. Suggestions that will fit our sport and my division.

thanks Louie

Louis,

You can alway go the 3x9 route, but I would look at trying some of the 2-7 power scopes. If 7 is not enough, I know there are a few scope manufacturers that make a 2-10 power scope. Either one of these should serve you well.

Erik

Louie,

I used to use this scope:

Sightron 2.5-7x32SG

It's got good glass, decent FOV and the double diamond reticle is great for bracketing flashers and Larue's. I zeroed it at 200 yards and on flashers/Larue's at SMM3G just swung it over, diamond is on, and bang!

I run an ACOG now, due to the glass just being better and the more simplified reticle, but this scope will probably do the trick for you. It's a sweet scope and would probably use it again if I knew I was going to a match that had real yardages for the rifle (400-ish yards).

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I bought a Leupold Mark 4 M2 2.5X8 and WOW! WOW! WOW!, I can't believe I did not do this sooner. 8 inch plates at 300 meters are like shooting ducks in the pond. These old senior eyes feel like high school senior on prom nite. I feel that having the higher powered scope will reduce my times when engaging long range targets. Thanks for the advise.

Just remember, magnification does not decrease gun movement, muzzle wobble, or heart rate. Likewise, it doesn't improve trigger control or hold. You also lose field of view when you crank that sucka up. Everything, including prom, has a price.

Enjoy prom night! :D

Since most of the shooting in 3-gun is at pistol ranges with the rifle, it's going to be a bitch on 2.5 power with no field of view.

I also have a Eotech mounted on the side. Us Open shooters need all the help and equipment we can bolt on.

Bill whats this former Super Senior? If you didn't feel it in your eyes on Prom Nite where did you feel it???

Edited by hockeydadnu27

Hdad...your sig line has the shortest quote I have seen in recent memory. And..even with it being one word...I got it..... What a movie!!!

Kool. :)

I love that line as he rides out of town, kinda stuck with me and I use it alot. Movie Unforgiven 1992 long time ago. I enjoy old cowboy movie s

Louie, "Former Super Senior" is a tongue in cheek reference to the USPSA changing Super Senior age from 60 to 65. The first trophy I actually won in shooting was High Open Super Senior in the 2004 Mid-Atlantics. I totally screwed up the match and was amazed when this trophy showed up in my mail box.