Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Price On Primers?

hitman

You should be asking: Who has SPP primers right now?

I have a Sportsman's Warehouse in my town. I get $10 off coupons in the paper, buy 3000 primers, and take off the coupon value. That is pretty close to $18.5 per thousand. That's about the easiest good deal I can find without ordering 10k+ at a time.

JM

• 3 weeks later...

Also take a gander at Widener's. I did my last Federal SPP order with them. This was before the price went up again and we managed just over $19/k shipped and with 2 hazmat fees (the whole order did not fit in one box, damn Fed Primer boxes!). I think we got like 50 k or so.

Vince

I am in the same situation with primers as you are Hitman. I can't find anyone with Federeal SPP in stock for a price that I will pay except tntreloading.com. I talked to a local dealer and he told me the key is to buy a bunch to bring the prices down, so I order 25k through him. I think the price got down to 18.50 per 1k out the door. I don't think I will need primers for a while. Talk to you local guy, get some dudes together, and order a #$% ton.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I normally use Powder Valley, but they didn't have Federal SP primers and I had to go with Midway.

My best bet is to order from Georgia Arms and pick up at the next local gun show. Unfortunately I'm never organized enough to do that, and GA no longer brings extra primers for sale.

I can pick them up locally for $20/k out the door. The best I can seem to find is $18.50 mail order. Honestly, I'm OK with just picking them up locally.

I envy you that. I paid $31 for 1,000 from Bass Pro Shop just a few days ago. They're gone already. I have close to 10,000 Precision bullets and zero primers. Just my luck.

Lee

I try to stay away from retail. Basically, only in an emergency. Thankfully one of the ranges I go to sells primers at a decent price in a pinch. I used to get primers at $60/sleeve (5k) but have been told they've gone up in the $75-80/sleeve range. Still a good deal and since I buy 10-20k at a time and they go to pretty much every gun show I do (the only reason I go to shows in CA any more; NC shows aren't much better but hey...) it works out.

Rich

I try to stay away from retail. Basically, only in an emergency. Thankfully one of the ranges I go to sells primers at a decent price in a pinch. I used to get primers at $60/sleeve (5k) but have been told they've gone up in the $75-80/sleeve range. Still a good deal and since I buy 10-20k at a time and they go to pretty much every gun show I do (the only reason I go to shows in CA any more; NC shows aren't much better but hey...) it works out.

Rich

Any reloading components seem exceptionally rare in the Ft. Lauderdale area and at the last gun show, I didn't see a single vendor selling anything, brass, primers or bullets. There's a guy a couple hundred miles up the coast that carries a good inventory and, it my order is tied right, will bring them down to the West Palm shows, about an hour drive from here. That saves me shipping charges. I'll probably be calling him later today, or Powder Valley, or whoever. I was buying primers 5,000 at a time. I'll order as many as I can figure out storage space for this time. Storage space is getting scarce.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, storage can be a problem. Fortunately I have some wooden cabinets that were nearly empty that received the primers we ordered. It's a good thing we ordered them then since Federal Small pistol primers are quite scarce these days. Regular or Magnum. In fact I think when we ordered from Wideners, we cleaned out all the standard Fed SP's and I had to get some magnums so I'd have enough for the year. I've found that my revolvers ignite the Fed Mag SP's without any issues and I just need check velocity and consistency when I switch over to them.

Vince