Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working Retail.....

Scott Butler

Love the people that get mad because I won't make "deals"! Do you go to the grocery store check the eggs in the carton, and then tell the girl at the register that you deserve a discount because the package was opened?

Guess everyone thinks that the store I work in is a pawnshop?

Scott B

I tried to order a pizza tonight from Pizza Hut. They have a special for a large at $10. When I made the order the guy on the phone said they were out of large pans.

So, what do I get instead.... Oh, a medium for the same price as the large.... Fogedaboudit.

I am 34 years old. I have been in retail since I was 16 years old. I have worked for Best Buy, started in 1991 with them in the 75th store in the chain in Evansville, IN. I opened that store, one in Lexington, KY, one in Atlanta, and one in Augusta and two in Cincinatti then went to Circuit City and opened a store for them in Evansville and then 3 of them in Indianapolis, left them to go to Dick's Sporting goods were I worked in Cincinatti and Louisville and then opened a store in Evansville with them. I am now at Sear's for the past almost 4 years and in my 3rd store as a Store Manager.

You name it I have seen it, been there, done it and there is nothing that surpises me anymore. From employee and customer theft to cleaning up trashed bathrooms and every scam, or upset customer or screw up employee I have experienced it.

Retail is easy, all it is making sure that you have the right people there at the right times to get the product off the trucks and on the shelves and keep the money in the drawers.

My goal as a store manager is to make sure that every associate understands what their job is and that no matter what is going on the customer comes first.

We have a board in my store, one side of it has our weekly customer service survey results, the other side of it has the daily sales goals and the year to date P&L results with our bottom line profit number on it. Several times a motnh we have our "board meetings" were I cover these numbers with as many associates as I can. My expectations of my associates is that everyone of them knows what our customer service survery results are and how much money we are making.

The goal behind this is that every associate understands just how important their role is in making these numbers happen. Hopefully it creates some ownership with them.

I love going out on the floor and interacting with customers, shaking hands and thanking them for coming into my store and spending money. I also love getting out and selling myself and letting customers know that it was the store manager taking care of them, something that you really don't see at my competitors. Every customer I interact with I give my business card to with my email address and cell phone number, even the ones that are just there to complain about something.

I am 34 years old. I have been in retail since I was 16 years old. I have worked for Best Buy, started in 1991 with them in the 75th store in the chain in Evansville, IN. I opened that store, one in Lexington, KY, one in Atlanta, and one in Augusta and two in Cincinatti then went to Circuit City and opened a store for them in Evansville and then 3 of them in Indianapolis, left them to go to Dick's Sporting goods were I worked in Cincinatti and Louisville and then opened a store in Evansville with them. I am now at Sear's for the past almost 4 years and in my 3rd store as a Store Manager.

You name it I have seen it, been there, done it and there is nothing that surpises me anymore. From employee and customer theft to cleaning up trashed bathrooms and every scam, or upset customer or screw up employee I have experienced it.

Retail is easy, all it is making sure that you have the right people there at the right times to get the product off the trucks and on the shelves and keep the money in the drawers.

My goal as a store manager is to make sure that every associate understands what their job is and that no matter what is going on the customer comes first.

We have a board in my store, one side of it has our weekly customer service survey results, the other side of it has the daily sales goals and the year to date P&L results with our bottom line profit number on it. Several times a motnh we have our "board meetings" were I cover these numbers with as many associates as I can. My expectations of my associates is that everyone of them knows what our customer service survery results are and how much money we are making.

The goal behind this is that every associate understands just how important their role is in making these numbers happen. Hopefully it creates some ownership with them.

I love going out on the floor and interacting with customers, shaking hands and thanking them for coming into my store and spending money. I also love getting out and selling myself and letting customers know that it was the store manager taking care of them, something that you really don't see at my competitors. Every customer I interact with I give my business card to with my email address and cell phone number, even the ones that are just there to complain about something.

I'd buy from you...First.

Don't get me wrong......I really like my area that I work. And understand that without the customer....I'd still be building houses...in the cold, hot, whatever.

The special people that can't find things in front of them, "Where's the restroom?"(while standing 5 feet from it).....etc, how do they get up and do anything without someone to hold their hand?

45shooter....my hats off to you! Retail for that long deserves some kind of award! Congrats!!

Scott B

Though I function as a technician at the computer demolishing facility where I work, we DO have a retail outlet here and I've been handling incoming phone calls for the entire shop area for several months (soon to end in a week or so, thankfully). The incredible amount of work it is just to provide GOOD information and customer service over the phone can't be emphasized enough.

The phone is often the first contact our customers encounter/experience with us, and I've encountered ALL kinds of people... from the truly professional (alert, intelligence, motivated, skilled) to the Slow Talkers of America who haven't a clue and who have never looked up the word "logic" in their dictionaries or who have NO experience with computers (aarrgghh!). In my case, I just have to take charge of the call and direct it to its simplest and most productive direction no matter what... and leave the caller with a feeling of having GAINED something by the call. This is easy for me, in a sense (because I'm good at it), but it's REAL WORK, and I can go home worn-out after just five hours answering phones and trying to do other things at the same time.

In any event, customer service and its importance cannot be emphasized enough. I've gone the extra mile for a few callers and they've been so grateful, you just can't imagine it.

Fortunately, I won't be answering the daily phones much longer when my workbench gets built (we just moved to a new, bigger location), but I'll now be in charge of Repair Intake, which is the initial filtering of incoming tech support and repairs of computers. It'll be a 'live' version of phone-answering and I was selected to do this particular job BECAUSE OF my customer service and communication skills. (Our techs are a little grumpy and don't handle this kind of thing too well sometimes.) I am actually flattered that the company came to me for this task. I actually DO care how we treat our clients and customers. B)

Yeh, well, what I get to do is take the public's cast-offs and rebuild them. I let other folks at the center rip 'em apart. Although when I can't quite get one of the cast-offs to behave, I get to "dismantle" it. Heh.

Well, we DO happen to need a few extra volunteers in the Dismantling Room... Feel free to drop by and grab a screwdriver. :P