Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Uspsa Match

Lee Bell

I finally got around to shooting a USPSA match. Thanks to the South Florida Pistol Club for putting on the event and for waiving the charge for first time shooters.

First match, first division win. OK, so it wasn't much of an accomplishment. I was the only shooter in the single stack division. Still, things went quite well. As suggested by the safety briefing and those I talked with, I took things at a gentile pace, shooting what I was supposed to shoot, not shooting what I was not supposed to shoot over three stages, each somewhere between 40 and 50 seconds, not crawling, but not running either.

Those that said "just go do it" were right. I'll just go do it again, and again, and again.

Those that said that shooting my 10mm Delta Elite would eat up my brass budget in a hurry were right also. I had no chance to recover brass that I am only able to replace by purchasing it new. Otherwise, however, my 10mm was a good choice. It's accurate and, while recoil is significant, I'm used to it. Best of all, though, is that it leave no doubt about whether a hit popper going down. One shot, one popper and no waiting around to see if it will actually fall.

So, I'll be back, and will continue to shoot Single Stack Division. It's what I enjoy most. I like 1911 guns and I like the added challange of deciding when, where and how to do magazine changes. Since I reload for all the pistols I shoot, cost of ammunition isn't a significant factor except for the cost of 10mm brass. Hopefully, my Colt Gold Cup will be back from the shop early next week. If so, that's what I'll be shooting. If not, I may shoot the 10mm one more time or, perhaps, give production class a try with one of my other pistols. Who knows.

Longer term, my plans have changed. Based on the fact that my existing guns are quite adequate for the division I prefer, I've decided against building a custom gun specifically for USPSA shooting. Instead, I'm going to talk to my gunsmith sometime this week about the possibility of fitting a .40 S&W barrel and busing to my Delta Elite frame and slide not only letting me continue to shoot the guns I like best, but reducing the cost as well. I have at least two, maybe three sources for free once fired .40 brass.

So, the accomplishment was getting off my rear and giving the sport a try. Winning my division would be so much better if there were some competition to win against. Somebody get that .45 you used to love out of the safe and join me.

Lee

Lee,

I'm glad to hear that we have another enthusiastic convert. As you've discovered, it is not so much the pistol you shoot as the challenge and most of all the fun. Practice and more matches will make you even happier.

I'm just sorry to hear you ended up last in your Division. :P:):rolleyes:

Lee,

I'm glad to hear that we have another enthusiastic convert. As you've discovered, it is not so much the pistol you shoot as the challenge and most of all the fun. Practice and more matches will make you even happier.

I'm just sorry to hear you ended up last in your Division. :P:):rolleyes:

:lol: I was going to post "Congrats on your Division win"...but that's just funnier :D