Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Break This Habbit

Hey guys. This site has helped improve my shooting alot. My thumbs are along the slide and i now index the trigger and the groups have gotten smaller. My next problem is

my groups are in the 8 ring in the 8 oclock position. They knock down steel fine but not

so good for score on paper. Do you have some advice

Scott

Chances are it’s not your sights but if you are like me it helps to prove these things to myself. Practice firing groups from bench and sandbags to confirm gun is zeroed. If you are still hitting the same spot in tight groups have another good shooter try it out. If the second shooter shoots the same groups in the same spot as you then think about sights.

When I did this exercise I confirmed gun is fine, I’m the problem. As I’m still working on it I’ll not offer any advise on fixing it once you eliminate the gun as an issue.

So, you are right handed and shooting low left ?

Hey flex.

Yes , that right . Its a glock 34 others have shot it and found it to be a accurate and dead on pistol. I think that i could be jerking , tightening my grip or my

trigger finger not correct spot. Do any of these sound likely ?

Scott

Hey flex.

Yes , that right . Its a glock 34 others have shot it and found it to be a accurate and dead on pistol. I think that i could be jerking , tightening my grip or my

Scott

Get some dummy rounds and have someone load them into your slides. They'll help you determine what you're doing wrong. My best guess is you're either anticipating the recoil or jerking the trigger, problems I fight on a continusous basis.

I finally broke my habit by shooting my revolver with alternating chambers empty. I'd line the cylinder up so that the first chamber is empty, dry fire while concentrating on keeping the sights stable, then fire the next round, then dry fire . . . you get the idea. For me, it was not enough to dry fire at home or to put an occasional dummy in to test my trigger pull. I had to get the dry fire and the actual fire together. Once I did, I was able to carry the improvement over to my autoloaders.

Good luck.

Lee

Hey flex.

Scott

Get some dummy rounds and have someone load them into your mags. They'll help you determine what you're doing wrong. My best guess is you're either anticipating the recoil or jerking the trigger, problems I fight on a continusous basis.

I finally broke my habit by shooting my revolver with alternating chambers empty. I'd line the cylinder up so that the first chamber is empty, dry fire while concentrating on keeping the sights stable, then fire the next round, then dry fire . . . you get the idea. For me, it was not enough to dry fire at home or to put an occasional dummy in to test my trigger pull. I had to get the dry fire and the actual fire together. Once I did, I was able to carry the improvement over to my autoloaders.

Good luck.

Lee

It's probably your sights. Had the same problem with my G22 when I first got it. It's not a flinch, 'cause you wouldn't be grouping them well. If you have a nice tight group and they're just low left then file the front sight a smidge to get the group up and slide the rear sight a smidge to the right.

Rich

ETA: You could also be pulling/steering the gun with your grip.

Edited by uscbigdawg

It's probably your sights. Had the same problem with my G22 when I first got it. It's not a flinch, 'cause you wouldn't be grouping them well. If you have a nice tight group and they're just low left then file the front sight a smidge to get the group up and slide the rear sight a smidge to the right.

Probably not the problem. You missed the post where he said others shot the gun on target.

In my personal opinion, a much more likely cause.

Lee

Rich

nah...it's a common problem with shooters new to the Glock. It has a lot to do with the multiple stages of the Glock trigger (it gets harder to pull, in a consistent manner). And, too much grip with the strong hand. You can still shoot pretty good groups.

Easy test. If you think it is the sights, shoot some groups with the off-hand...you'll likely notice the group move to the other side of the target.

Rich

nah...it's a common problem with shooters new to the Glock. It has a lot to do with the multiple stages of the Glock trigger (it gets harder to pull, in a consistent manner). And, too much grip with the strong hand. You can still shoot pretty good groups.

Easy test. If you think it is the sights, shoot some groups with the off-hand...you'll likely notice the group move to the other side of the target.

[/quot

Hey guys. This site has helped improve my shooting alot. My thumbs are along the slide and i now index the trigger and the groups have gotten smaller. My next problem is

my groups are in the 8 ring in the 8 oclock position. They knock down steel fine but not

so good for score on paper. Do you have some advice

Scott

Ok , i let my wife shoot the glock and it shot great. I am going to take a hard look at my technique and slow things down. You guys have given me some tools to work with , also

i'll start a shooting log

Ok , i let my wife shoot the glock and it shot great. I am going to take a hard look at my technique and slow things down. You guys have given me some tools to work with , also i'll start a shooting log

Don't forget to try the dummy rounds. It's a lot easier to see what you're doing wrong when your mind thinks the gun will go off and it doesn't. I'm betting that you'll find you're anticipating the recoil, even though you know it's no big deal.

Don't forget to let us know what the problem was when you discover and overcome it.

Lee