Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leo Dept's That Carry Cz As Duty Gun

Kevin Kline

Thanks Flex,

This was starting to get into something I had not really inquired about and didnt want to start anything. I'm not comparing one gun vs another for duty. I was just wondering what dept's anyone knew of that issued or allowed the duty carry of CZ's?

My dept carries MP40's and I LOVE the gun. Glocks are also excellent choices, but after shooting my MP, I dont have any interest in shooting my Glocks anymore, I like my CZ's and MP (for duty/SWAT) that much. I agree that the very simple basic operation of the Glocks make it an excellent choice for duty carry for all types, (large/small male/female, strong/weak)

Harmon,

What dept do you work for that allows CZ's to be carried? You can PM me if you want to.

Google search says:

Czech National Police: http://www.concealedcarrymag.com/Sample_Article_04.pdf

Israel Police: http://www.answers.com/topic/israel-police

And from iansa: "the CZ 75 is in use with the Czech police and police forces in various countries: http://www.iansa.org/regions/europe/docume..._production.htm

Best regards,

Keith

Edited by midvalleyshooter

• 3 months later...

I think there were surplus police CZs imported into the US from South Africa & sold off for low prices. Some Turkish departments issue clones. And CZs might have been issued to police in Argentina (I saw HPs there for sure - but possible CZs too - this was in BA in the 90s).

I've seen at least one member of the Austin P.D. (Texas) carrying an STI down on 6th St. Surprised me. However, IIRC, the other uniformed officers with him weren't all carrying the same guns. Maybe they have a very liberal policy on what they're allowed to carry?

Haven't seen anyone with CZs.

Have seen some foreign military folks carrying Glocks; I think they were Germans. I would've thought they'd have something by HK.

As far as AK vs. M-4, I like the HK416. Best of both worlds.

I think to find actual working units that use the CZ, one would have to travel "Across the Pond" For many years after its design, it was not even available in this country, as were many Eastern block firearms. The CZ-75 is the "1911" of Europe, and you can see its design cues in EAA, Tangfolio, Jericho etc. pistols. The poll of the USPSA production nationals has shown almost 20% of shooters use the CZ, tangfolio, or EAA witness(they are lumped into one catageory. They are accurate, Reliable, and reasonably priced (although prices have begun to increase due to increased popularity.) Go to Europe and look on some LEO hips and you will sure to see it. :D

I just dont believe you have seen that many CZ's puke, I have em all, STI, Sig, HK, XD, etc almost every 1911 variant and the most malfunctions in one brand that I have seen were with Glock's from my observation but thats solely due to the sheer number of people shooting them. I have more than 25,000 combined rds thru every variant of CZ, 11 count em, 11 total misfires, in 25,000 + rds. And those were most likely related to incorrect spring rating choices or ammo. You must be thinking of some other brand. I know 11 is too many, so I shouldnt have messed with the springs or should have used factory ammo.

Jon Kushner

• 15 years later...
On 1/9/2007 at 3:35 PM, Eager said:

The standard CZ (-75 family) requires dropping the hammer on a live round to access the DA feature. Alternatively it could be carried cocked-&-locked. Neither of these options are popular with LEO agencies.

CZs with decockers are relatively new.

The CZ-50, CZ-53, CZ-70(upgraded CZ-50), CZ-75 and all the upgrades that came after it had decockers. CZ pistols without decockers are realitivaley new.

Would be an interesting question now though after all these years if any police departments in the US have started issuing CZ dasa guns? Or put them on their approved for on duty carry list

2 hours ago, RJH said:

Would be an interesting question now though after all these years if any police departments in the US have started issuing CZ dasa guns? Or put them on their approved for on duty carry list

I’ve ran the range for a law enforcement demo day and they have an active law enforcement group within the company that focuses on Leo sales. I’ve actually got a really cool challenge coin for it. 

A federal officer came through a class of mine. He was shooting a Shadow 2 with a dot on it. Duty holster, belt, tq, flashlight, baton, etc etc etc. For a cop he was a pretty good shooter. The gun was NOT 100% reliable. 

I rhetorically asked him if that was his duty gun; ASSumed it was given that he had a complete belt dedicated to it. 

Nope. His duty gun as something else. Maybe a Glock or Sig. 

Another federal one came through with a SP-01 and that WAS his duty gun. 

S2 guy was a Bureau of Reclamation guy from the PNW and the other guy was with a an agency here in the DC area.....I want to say NCIS but don't quote me.