Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get The Splits

I am trying to improve my split times.

after shooting the first shot on a double ,my mind and my sights are ready for the second shot before I can make the finger do the work.

I cant seem to get under .14 at all and most are at .18 or .19.

Is this bad ? or ok?

I am shooting at 15yd targets.

Thanks for any help!!

Jim

Search, my man, search!!! :D We've hashed this over a bunch... You're going down what is generally considered the "wrong path" in shooting "doubles". Follow the sights and the gun, let the sights tell you when to shoot. When you get that far, then work on recoil control and allowing the gun to return to point of aim more quickly. This is the way to faster shot to shot times on a single target.... ;)

I cant seem to get under .14 at all and most are at .18 or .19.

Those are excellent times, if you are getting, and calling the hits.

You can win the nationals with splits like that. How are the important parts of your game?

I dont know whats good or bad ? I just cant seem to make the finger work any faster!

I shoot ok ,and get real good hits , but I am pretty slow moving, kinda tore up from crashing a drag boat at the world finals two years ago.

I wont ever be a master but I would like to do as well as I can.

Jim

Then my old pact timer MUST :blink: be broken.

A very very surprised Jim

Haha

Ok not to shoot your hope the flip side is your transitions should be the same too ;) and Master is more than splits/transitions but its a real good start on the way there. Heed Dave's XRE's advice and you must be calling your shots or in a match you will start to hate the word Mike.

Edited by BSeevers

The top Open shooters can split .11-.14 in their sleep, hitting A's. If you can hit 75% plus A's with .18 splits, then forget about them and work on cutting time else where. You would have to shoot a full 32 round stage to cut a second or more if you're just concerned with splits. In the same 32 round stage you could easily cut 4 seconds just conserving movement. Move more efficiently, transition quicker, forget your split times.

JM

Thanks !

I just went out in the snow shot 20 sets at three targets at 10 yds.

My splits stayed about the same but if I get below .3 in transitions my hits start getting sloppy lots of c,s couple of d,s

I am unclasified now, but 17 years ago when I quit shooting I was a high b class.

I hope to get up to A..

Thanks again Jim

There are some great drills on the forum for working transitions - I can't find the thread, but Brian had posted a nice one for us using three targets - someone will surely have the link handy :D

Yeah, transitions are where its at. Don't worry about splits - when those are a weak point for you, it'll become apparent... ;)