Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Are Americans Unhappy?

dajarrel

An eye-opener. I recieved it as an email. You may not agree with every single item, but most likely, the majority of them are true. Forgive the formatting.

dj

"A recent Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy

with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country

is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the

citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the Die-Hard

American that I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days

a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in

the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of

these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a

grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen

in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean

without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way

that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants

with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it

be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide

services to help all involved? Whether you are rich or poor they treat your

wounds and even, if necessary, send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home; you

may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of having a fire, a group

of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to

extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or

prowler intrudes; an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come

to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents.

Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy

that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of

you folks unhappy. Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the

world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. yet has a great disdain for

its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have and what we hate about the country

instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

So why then the flat out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner?

The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells. Just ask why they are going to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book and do a TV special about how he didn't kill his wife. Insane!(Already nipped in the bud by correct thinking Americans)

Stop buying the negative venom you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

I close with one of my favorite quotes from B.C. Forbes in 1953:

''What have Americans to be thankful for? More than any other people on the earth, we enjoy complete religious freedom, political freedom, and social freedom. Our liberties are sacredly safeguarded by the Constitution of the United States, 'the most wonderful work ever

struck off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man.' Yes, we Americans of today have been bequeathed a noble heritage. Let us pray that we may hand it down unsullied to our children and theirs.''

I suggest we sit back and count our blessings for all we have. If we don't, what we have will be taken away. Then we will have to explain to future generations why we squandered such blessing and abundance. If we are not careful this generation will be known as the ''greediest and most ungrateful generation.'' A far cry from the proud Americans of the ''Greatest generation'' who left us an untarnished legacy.

--- Steven Hess

--- *******@earthlink.net"

Thanks for the opportunity to edit for content

dj

Edited by dajarrel

• 4 weeks later...
Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or

prowler intrudes; an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come

to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

Do you have to push the big red button or do they just know when to show up? :lol:

On the other hand, being unhappy is what drives progress. You don't go invent the mouse trap that catches 75% of the mice if you are happy with the one that works on 65%. You don't invent color television if you are happy with black and white. You also don't re-invent democracy if you are happy with the king's men providing your security.

Yeah, some people bitch to much. Some of them bitch a whole fracking lot. But not being content with the status quo is why we strive for better things.

Edited by Vlad

On one hand I agree with Vlad that discontent can breed invention (and indeed it has for ages)... but recently we had a warm/fuzzy thread here that exhibited some of the things we were grateful for rather than hated, and I ended up with a list of really, really fundamental stuff....... like hot running water, decent shelter, a car, a safe full of guns, sort-of a job, a couple of computers, decent food---you know, stuff like that.

And yet, I, too, have 'discontents' within all this apparent largesse: I want a BETTER job because the one I have doesn't begin to cover my needs; I want/need more education but can't afford it; I want to be able to afford BETTER food and supplements that will improve my health; I want to be able to afford the proper medical care I perennially need; I want to be able to buy PROPER gifts for my friends on their birthdays. You know, stuff like that. Does that make me ungrateful...? Not really. I see the Big Picture and feel lucky most days. :)

All of us here in the USA are more than lucky, WE are Blessed!!!

Our freedoms and priveleges Far excede any other place on earth!!

Here we have the chance to do anything we want , be anything we want .

With hard work and effort you may go as far as you like.

It may not be real easy? but no body has thier boot on our necks.

I have been in many many places around the world, I could not begin to express how well off we are in compairison to others!!

I just clicked my ruby slippers ,,and said (there;s no place like home) :wub:

Jim

Innovation is driven by desire(sometiimes called greed) or just the desire to create. But it's true that a lot of folks have it pretty good.

"No wonder the world loves the US, yet has a great disdain for it's citizens"

That line is reality turned on it's head.

Americans are generally well liked throughout the world, it's the US government that is viewed with disdain, mistrust, and fear. But the American people are viewed positively.

Is that the US government that helps feed most of the world???

Or is it the one that gives medicine to most of the world??

Or is it the one that sends our children off to war to die for other peoples freedom?

Americans are the most generous,caring and protective of other people!

NO one No country does more for the world than the USA......

Jim

I Thiink that our propensity to bitch comes from partly bordom and partly from a drive for something better. Most of the people I know who complain alot are not unapriciative of the things they have. If you take time to talk to them and ask the right questions you will find that they are greatful.

I also think that as we become accustom to our current situation our standards rise. How many of you have a big screen tv. A buddy of mine just bought a 50 incher. I remember when a 27 inch tv was considered huge now many people consider this to be small.

I that the world belives that we are spoiled and greedy because all they see if how much we have copared to what they have. They see our complaining and our restlessness as a flaw and not the force that propells us foward.

:blink:

I'm just presenting the fact that American people are well liked pretty much anywhere in the world by other people, in spite of the government - either there or here.

A government and a people don't necessarily have much to do with each other. They have different agenda's and interests.

And yep, a lot of Americans might be a bit spoiiled. But we really have it pretty good, thus we are able to have a hobby such as ours which in some places would be totally unaffordable. I would rather live where my hobby is acceptable - so far, that's here, especially in the great desert Southwest.

. . . I remember when a 27 inch tv was considered huge now many people consider this to be small.

I that the world belives that we are spoiled and greedy because all they see if how much we have copared to what they have. They see our complaining and our restlessness as a flaw and not the force that propells us foward.

:blink:

Yeah, I remember when Dad proudly brought home the new 19 incher -- bought it at the little TV/Radio shop on the corner, run by the guy who lived two blocks over. Then our neighbor went to The City and picked up a 21 inch . . . Mom was furious.

Having been overseas in some nice places and in some hellholes, I think (FWLIW) that people in other countries see what they expect. If they have been taught Americans are greedy and arrogant, then just about whatever you do can be fit into that mold.

If they expect Americans to be generous and friendly, then you have to be a jerk to change their minds. But it happens a lot when an American gets in a foreign country and complains about how what that country has isn't as good as what is in the U.S.

Last October the wife and I went to Belize for R&R, scuba diving, and like we always do wherever we go, talk to the local folk away from the tourist area.

One of our water taxi pilots and I started talking and I soon found out he was a firearm owner. The procedure to obtain a firearm involved filling out a bunch of paperwork, paying a fee, getting a background check, and getting a personal interview with the Belizean equavalent of the FBI. If all goes well then you are issued a permit and then you can buy your gun. Oh, no caliber larger than 9mm and be sure to register it when you get it. But you can conceal carry all you want. He has made a trip to the USA and spent some time at ranges shooting rented guns. He told me he shot big bore guns as he wouldn't ever get a chance to do it back home. Just had to shoot a .44mag after watching Dirty Harry. He was proud of his Beretta and should be after what he went though to obtain it. His parting words struck a nerve. "You have a good thing going there. Don't screw it up."

You cannot really appreciate America until you spend a significant time overseas. we worry about the size of our new TV - other nations worry about having clean water to drink and electrical power more than 2 hours per day. We take "Rule of Law" for granted and denigrate law enforcement and our legal system - I have seen the total absence of "rule of Law" - it is not pretty.

When I visited the Soviet Union in 1988, it was fairly loose at that time (in terms of 1st Amendment kinds of things) but consumer goods were ALWAYS in dubious supply (and likely still are) and things like TOILET TISSUE were coveted beyond all imagination. :ph34r:

I visited East Berlin and East Germany in the summer of '89 just before the Wall came down in that fall.

Very interesting distinction between West Berlin and East Berlin. They were still doing repairs from WWII bomb damage in East Berlin. Seriously, you could hear jack hammers all over the city.

It was also very interesting to switch trains one time in the East. East German, or possibly even Russian, soldiers with AK's and attack dogs everywhere inside the station. Catwalks up above the trains, I think. It might as well have been a scene from Schindler's List, just add swastika armbands to the brown shirted soldiers.

A few summers later, I went through SERE (POW and survival training). A'yup, us Americans are a soft bunch....nothing like being w/o food for several days to a week while outside in the mountains to make you re-center yourself and realize what's really important: a hot meal, a dry place to sit, toilet paper of course, potable water, a roof over your head, heat.

As far as Americans being a negative bunch, yeah, I would have to agree with that. So much of marketing is the Smith's vs. the Jones' thing. They aren't so much trying to sell you just a TV, or car, they are trying to sell you on the idea that having said item means that you have a better life (style?) than other people. Part of that is the individualistic nature of our country.

Did you ever see that movie Wall Street. IIRC it had Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen in it. Do you remember Douglas's "greed is good speech"?

I just recently saw an HBO special on comedian Mr. Muhl (sp?) teaching a college level history class. One of the interesting things he said was that the motivation for our Founding Fathers to declare independence from England was that they were all rich white guys who were smugglers and they were trying to avoid paying taxes.

Nothing has changed much in 230 years.

I've been following this post from time to time. And I actually believe that when every American really thinks about it, we have it very good here. Even with all our everyday struggles and problems there is a love and understanding we have of one another that the world envy's. Though most of it is unspoken, I still feel it to be here. Call me the eternal optimist. Even in our darkest days there is light shinning through. It may be cut and dry but I've always liked my salami that way! B)

This thread began with a quoted email which had made a false assumption; the fact 2/3 of Americans are not happy with the way the country is heading and the current president does not mean Americans are an unhappy lot. It means we go to the polls and change the makeup of congress. My guess is the White House will change party as well. That will make some unhappy with the direction the country is taking and with the administration but does not mean that as citizens they are unhappy being Americans.

If we lose the right to change the party in power, the right to free speech, to assemble, to be secure in our person, papers and effects, the right to a speedy trial, to be faced with our accusers, to keep and bear arms then we will have some unhappy Americans. Some of us might even get angry and think it's time for another tea party when it gets to the point TP is in short supply.

I think the people who are unhappy, whatever that true percentage is, are just disappointed by their own expectations.

Somewhere I read that "Godliness with contentment is great gain". For sure, greed and longing never made anybody content. Godliness to me means just this: accepting what ever hand I've been dealt with nod of gratitude to the Dealer. Who am I, that I should desire more? The world will tell you that you aren't man enough, rich enough, smart enough and a host of other lies. I'm doing my best not to fall for any of that. I'm just happy to play out the hand I've been dealt. Because, I know I can trust the Dealer with my life. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I think the people who are unhappy, whatever that true percentage is, are just disappointed by their own expectations.

Somewhere I read that "Godliness with contentment is great gain". For sure, greed and longing never made anybody content. Godliness to me means just this: accepting what ever hand I've been dealt with nod of gratitude to the Dealer. Who am I, that I should desire more? The world will tell you that you aren't man enough, rich enough, smart enough and a host of other lies. I'm doing my best not to fall for any of that. I'm just happy to play out the hand I've been dealt. Because, I know I can trust the Dealer with my life. ;)

Sam,

Good words. Well spoken.

dj