Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Barrels - Oil Or Not?

Gunmac

I have been lightly oiling the barrel of my GP100 after each cleaning. That is what I have been taught. Usually I run a mop through and then follow up with a patch.

I also see a number of sources on gun cleaning where the barrels are not oiled.

Should I oil or not? The GP100 will not sit more than a week between use.

Will the same logic apply to a semi auto barrel?

Thanks,

I have started using Blue Wonder gun cleaner to clean the bore & they recommend oiling the bore after as it strips all oil as part of the cleaning process. I have been oiling with Otis SF dry lube or Microlon Gun-Juice also a dry lube.

I oil all my firearm bores after cleaning. Choice of oil is dependent on when I'm anticipating using it again, but typically I use "Butch's" gun oil, it's reddish, by the Butch's Bore Shine people, but only on the bores. After cleaning I run a "Butch's Oil" patch through ( amazing how dark it comes out), followed by a dry patch, followed by a lightly oiled patch.

Usually I'll push a dried patch through the bore before shooting if time/conditions permit.

FP10 is the oil I use where oil is required. "RIG" for storage.

Not sure why some do not include oil as part of the cleaning routine.
At least for accurate rifles, your first bullet or two may hit to a different point of impact from a clean and/or oiled barrel. If you're slaughtering helpless Bambi WAY out there, this can be an issue. From a handgun fired at a relatively close target, it ain't gonna make no difference that you can tell.