Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp Short Range Sight

gose

I was thinking of modifying my .22 AR so it will look more like my (yet to arrive) CTR-02 and I wanted to add a JP short range open sight to it. However, I haven't been able to find any hand guard that has a rail at the 1:30 position. I've seen the JP/Viking hand guards, but it looks like it will take quite an effort to install.

Yankeehill has a 45 degree "adapter", but it's only five slots and I'm unsure if that is enough for the sight.

So, would five slots be enough for the sight or are there any other options? Or do I have to get the JP/Viking and try to find someone to help me get it mounted?

My first option was to buy the JP .22 upper, but apparently it's "unavailable" at the moment.

You are going to need to install an aftermarket rail onto the free floating handguard. The Short Sight will then clamp onto the rail.

And if you are built like most of us, the Short Sight will have to be raised up slightly, YHM 1/2 inch risers work well for that task.

You are going to need to install an aftermarket rail onto the free floating handguard. The Short Sight will then clamp onto the rail.

And if you are built like most of us, the Short Sight will have to be raised up slightly, YHM 1/2 inch risers work well for that task.

+1

YHM freefloat handguard + YHM 1/2" riser = good to go.

If the point is to be a practice platform to mimick your CTR, just send your .22 to JP and have them do a handguard swap/install. Then it's the same tube and everything.

Rich

Probably not the cheapest solution, but probably the best one, since I lack both the tools and skills to do the install myself :)

How much rail do I need to mount the sight, is 4" enough?

Edited by gose

If the point is to be a practice platform to mimick your CTR, just send your .22 to JP and have them do a handguard swap/install. Then it's the same tube and everything.

Rich

Probably not the cheapest solution, but probably the best one, since I lack both the tools and skills to do the install myself :)

A 4 inch rail should be plenty, YHM sells makes a good one, JP also has some. It is a 10 minute install to put an aftermarket rail on a free floater handguard with the open slots. Just usually takes an Allen wrench. The handguards without slots takes a bit of drilling.

Edited by Cactustactical

Rich

[Devil's Advocate Mode On]

So dropping a ton of dinero on a CTR-02 is okay but spending a little extra coin to have your practice rifle mimmick your $2-3k competition rifle is questionable?

[DA Mode off]

I agree, that it's not the cheapest, but definitely one of the best. What are you using for your primary optic? Are you getting two of those too? Only makes sense to do it right.

Rich

I was thinking of modifying my .22 AR so it will look more like my (yet to arrive) CTR-02 and I wanted to add a JP short range open sight to it.

It would help if you told us how you .22 AR is currently set up. What kind of handguard do you have on it? Etc.

I would advise that you wait until you get the CTR-02. Because:

1. A number of people get the JP SR... and they don't like it. :lol:

2. You may have to change how it is being mounted on the CTR-02. If you get stuff now you might end up changing it. And you will end up buying more attachments.

Rich

[Devil's Advocate Mode On]

So dropping a ton of dinero on a CTR-02 is okay but spending a little extra coin to have your practice rifle mimmick your $2-3k competition rifle is questionable?

[DA Mode off]

I agree, that it's not the cheapest, but definitely one of the best. What are you using for your primary optic? Are you getting two of those too? Only makes sense to do it right.

Rich

Yeah, and thats why my first choice was to get a JP .22 upper. I'm hoping that it will be available soon again, which is why I don't want to spend a fortune on the current .22.

I think my course of action will be to get the .223 running first and then either get the JP .22 (if available) or try to get my .22 to be as close as possible.

Thanks for your input...