Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Use Chronograph Purchase

Lets start with I have never used a chronograph before. I don't know how close I have it when testing 9mm loads, or if the lights I have in my range will work. My private local range has small spot lights ligting the bench and the 10ft spot (as well as the others out to 50ft). If I turn them all on it's fairly bright for a indoor range. I am often the only shooter as well, so I can turn 5 lanes on at once if I like. Will a standard chronograph even work in such a setting? How close is the sensing unit to my gun. Should I get the IR version (which I don't want to spend the extra if I don't have to). I don't want to waste my money as this is my only place to shoot/chronograph at this time. What Chronograph would you recommend in the 100 range (more if IR I guess).

Edited by 98sr20ve

The only way I have been able to chrono indoors is with one of those real bright halogen garage lights sitting beside the chrono on a table aiming up at the screens. Takes a little playing with to work.

In the past I have used 2 garage "trouble" regular lights and they stink but can work if practically taped to the screens.

I don't think standard range lighting has a chance especially fluorescent also you must put the unit downrange a few feet.

IR is the best but you dont have a lot of choices.

Making a chrono box with a built in light and say a Prochrono might be a solution but I bet it cost more than a IR. Competition Electronics Prochrono does have a light setup pretty cheap. I think Chrony has a light version too.

Edited by BSeevers

Chrony has a light setup but the Chrony is such a POS that you would be better off saving up your money and buying a CED. Yes it's not in the budget but it's worth saving for. You won't have to buy another one when it fails.

I have a Chrony in my basement with a lighting setup. The factory won't fix it and it reads 50-60fps high. It did work inside, but who cares if it's wrong.

Chrony has a light setup but the Chrony is such a POS that you would be better off saving up your money and buying a CED. Yes it's not in the budget but it's worth saving for. You won't have to buy another one when it fails.

I have a Chrony in my basement with a lighting setup. The factory won't fix it and it reads 50-60fps high. It did work inside, but who cares if it's wrong.

I was looking at the 125 ish PACT one Brian sells. If thats not an option then it looks like the IR ones are 50ish more.

The pact is a nice unit. Everything that Brian carries is quality stuff designed for shooters. I got burned with the Chrony and went with the unit that is used at most of the area matches and sectionals that I've been to. That's how I came to get the CED. The important thing is that the "brains" of the unit are behind the gun. If it gets shot then only the cheap stuff dies.

Be careful who you lend it too. :ph34r:

If you want a unit you can use indoors, that is easy to set up and transport, at a reasonable price...CED is your answer. See Chuck at Shooters Connection. He's got a kit with your name on it.

I was thinking of blowing my budget, getting the PACT MK IV with the IR screens. That way if I am spending all this money I at least get a timer to train with as well.

I also have had a brand new PACT returned for "evaluation". Not only the screen triggered together error but also when it did work for the first week I had it would only read 2 out of every 5 in the string. This was indoors.

Yesterday PACT also told me it would be "returned next week". They didn't look at it yet (after two weeks in the shop) but they suspect there is a bad piece on the circuit board which got into the production line. A number of units have been returned for the same symptom.

I haven't given up on PACT but this does not make me feel comfortable.

Is CED the only one that works indoors?

Is CED the only one that works indoors?

From my research if you are going to use things indoors you need either a light kit (which mounts on the screens and are clumsy to use) or a IR model. IR models run 200 ish so the PACT with the IR is actually a good buy seeing how it's a timer and chronograph and you buy the screens seperately to get the IR versions for about $280 total.

the PACT with the IR is actually a good buy seeing how it's a timer and chronograph and you buy the screens seperately to get the IR versions for about $280 total.

In October I reached the same conclusion; bought the IR version with the PACT chrono. Never really worked indoors as advertised. Even with the overhead lights off wouldn't read consistently. Then the screen error comes up and the unit is no longer functional as a chrono. PACT is telling me the two symptoms are related to the same problem. PACT has also told me that they will fix the problem and the unit will read indoors.

I agree with yoshidaex and think the best route is to wait to see how this shakes out. My guess is there may be more than a few units waiting to be sold that have the same problem.

IR kits HATE fluorescent (sp?) lighting. I came up with a cardboard enclosure and a freebie target taped to the front to keep all the fluorescent lighting away from the IR sensors. after i figured that out, i've been chronoing everything i can get my grubby little hands on :P it works perfect :D .

IR kits HATE fluorescent (sp?) lighting. I came up with a cardboard enclosure and a freebie target taped to the front to keep all the fluorescent lighting away from the IR sensors. after i figured that out, i've been chronoing everything i can get my grubby little hands on :P it works perfect :D .

Fortanatly, I don't have any flouresent lights in my range.

Do you have a properly funtioning MarK IV

• 4 months later...

Any new options on the indoor chrono's? I think I'm going to get one and it would probably see more indoor use than outdoor but I'd like it to both if that's and option. :rolleyes:

Any new options on the indoor chrono's? I think I'm going to get one and it would probably see more indoor use than outdoor but I'd like it to both if that's and option. :rolleyes:

As an opposing view, I would opt for the Shooting Chromy Beta of Gamma model, with the additional lights. I use the chrony on both indoor and outdoor ranges and indoor the lights work as advertised. Only drawback is that I need to bring / borrow an extension cord to provide the power to let the lamps burn.

Dick

As an opposing view, I would opt for the Shooting Chromy Beta of Gamma model, with the additional lights. I use the chrony on both indoor and outdoor ranges and indoor the lights work as advertised. Only drawback is that I need to bring / borrow an extension cord to provide the power to let the lamps burn.

Dick

I've been using a Shooting Chrony indoors exclusively for the last 4 + years. My chrono readings at major matches has been only a few fps off each time, and my PF readings +/- 4 or 5. If you don't load to go bare minimum in Power Factor, it's a good choice.

I now have a ProChrono Digital with the indoor light set up. The last outing it read 25 for 25 under indoor lights. The ProChrono is a little different than other units since the lights are in a cardboard set up which forms a roof over the chronograph.

It seems pretty consistent. If down the road it is reading high and can change the loads to compensate. Only drawback is the unit is self contained (unlike the Shooting Chrony) and can meet an unexpected death from a stray bullet.