Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy Rounds

revchuck

Folks - How do you mark your dummy rounds so that you know that they're not loaded ammo? I need to run about 100 rounds so I have enough to practice reloads.

Birchwood Casey makes "Brass Black", which is what I was thinking about using.

Also, do you worry about putting anything in the primer pocket to absorb the hammer fall?

TIA!

Folks - How do you mark your dummy rounds so that you know that they're not loaded ammo? I need to run about 100 rounds so I have enough to practice reloads.

Also, do you worry about putting anything in the primer pocket to absorb the hammer fall?

TIA!

I use already fired brass resized without the primer de-capping part, so you have a dead primer in the pocket. I use full jacketed RN projectiles for longer life during practice and also as I don't use these in competition, and I have separate moonclips, and then I mark the bottom of the case with a black permanent pen as well.

Now I just need to find where I put them, as it has been a while since my last practise.

Dedicated rounds with red paint on the head stamp. Put them in an ammo box and spray them. For the moon clip gun, they stay in the same moon clip all the time. Also they are brass colored where all my revo ammo is Nickel plated brass.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I use "Unloaded" empties with the spent primer for the first set, you need to practice dumping the rounds as much as loading them.

Then the reloads are done with FMJ rounds with the primer missing and the primer pocket filled with "Silicone Sealant".

I just don't trust markings on the case. Murphy says the one time you have a misfire, or dud, well you get the idea.

The Silicone works great, it's lasted a whole year. So many practice reloads the Raniers are now FN and look like the face of a mountain, very pitted.

TIA!

I don't keep nearly that many dummy rounds around. I have about a dozen of each of the calibers I shoot requently that I use to check for proper trigger and grip control. I took a permanent marking pen and colored the entire case of each dummy round black. I store them separately, in a zip lock bag that lives in my shooting box. It would be hard for me to load something live thinking it were a dummy, or visa versa. Having killed a brand new television set about thirty years ago, I'm very careful about my dry fire exercises in the home. :rolleyes:

I don't put any primer in my dummy rounds. I considered leaving fired primers in them, but my progressive press does not facilitate that. The sizing die takes out any primer that's in the case, whether I like it of not. I could prime with a spent one, or fire the new one before seating a bullet, but that's more trouble than it's worth to me.

Lee

For a primer cushion you could pop the spent primer and then fill the primer hole with RTV

silicone. Let it dry and then trim with a sharp razor blade.

The big black RTV primer let's you tell which rounds are which, and if you dry fire with old

spent primers sooner or later you puncture the cup.

Down side to this type of practice is your unload gives you a false "action", your unloading

rounds with bullets heads in them so they fall out so much easier.

Load up some empty brass also for other practice.

My dummy rounds seem to always have the bullet move after awhile, I solved this by

putting a crimp groove in the round using my crane stretching tool.

I use the same method as Round Gun.

I always shoot brass casings. All of my dummy ammo is nickel cased. I leave the primers out completely as another visual indicator.

I have all of the head stamps painted bright orange.

I keep them stored in a seperate room, in a special container. When I am done using them they all get put back in the container, where never the twain shall meet.

This will also help you to not take them for a ride to your next match.

The two loudest sounds in the world:

A gun that goes click when it should go BANG,

and

A gun that goes BANG when it should go click.

Edited by aerosigns

TIA!

Leave the spent primer in, or use the RTV silicone filler, seat & crimp a bullet, paint the heads solid green (or color of your choice) with a permanent marker. The final step involves drilling small holes into the side of the case. Chuck a sharp 3/32" drill bit into the drill press, lay the dummy round on it's side and use a "V" block to support the dummy round. Drill a hole completely through both side of the case near the midpoint. Rotate the case 90 degrees and drill another hole through both sides of the case. Remove any burrs left from dilling. The holes identify the round as a "dummy" forever.

LJE

TIA!

Thought about snap caps? Dave B)