Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Or Xl650?

After 10-12 years of screwing around with my Lee Pro-1000 I'm fed up :angry:

I see the 550B is a 4-station, and the XL 650 is a 5-station. I don't see much info on Dillion's site i.e. technical specs., etc.

I frequntly switch from 9mm to 40 (mainly) to 45acp.

I'm not looking for the fastest, but I am wanting reliablity, and consistantsy.

Heck....If I can get 150 rds. an hour, that'll be better then my Lee <_< ...stop, and fix, stop, and adjust. You know the drill

Is the 650 worth the extra bings?

Opinions please, Thanks

If you switch calibers a lot, I'd say go with the 550. It's a snap to change toolheads and cheaper too!

Thanks. That's good to know :)

How is the priming system of the 550 compared to the 650? Are they the same, or is one maybe better then the other?

can't tell you much about the 550 but i have a 650 myself. love the machine :wub: . if i had to do it over again, i'd buy a 650. if i had a ton of money i'd get three 650. if i had ludicrous amounts of money, i'd get three 1050. :lol: which won't ever happen.

you can see how some of the operation works via dillons online manual. they have manuals for most of their models they sell. Heres a link.

i've heard some people prefer the 550 priming system over the 650. something about primers in the 550 aren't within close proximity to each other during the loading process, blah, blah, blah.....

billdncn,

i dont know if you saw this link on Brian's store, but it should help with your decision btwn the 550 and the 650.

which dillon?

i had to make the 550 vs. 650 decision about 6 months ago. i went with the 550, and am very happy with my decision. the 650 would be quicker, but i dont think i shoot enough to keep up with it. i can crank out a few hundred rounds per hour on the 550 and now im thinking about getting the 550 casefeeder (which should allow me 500 rounds/hour). the 550 has been very reliable, no problems.

Brian has a great section in his store about which Dillon press to get, it is worth reading. For your situation a 550 sounds like the way to go, unless you are planning to increase you volume in the future. The priming systems are different, I think the 550 is easier to swap out, but it's no big deal either way.

As a friend of mine put it. "I counted the steps to make a round and then I counted the number of hands that I have." He chose the 650. I have had both. I upgraded to the 650 before the 550 case feeder came about. I have changed both presses from large to small primers and back. No big difference to me. I personally think that the 650 primer system is a tad more reliable. I just did 1000 rounds of .45 the other day with zero primer issues. The 550 primer slide always seemed to get dirty and sticky around 6-700 rounds.

So, the 650 costs more for sure. It does have auto index. That means you only need 2 hands. One to place the bullet and one to pull the handle. It also allows for the powder checker if you need it. And, it will accommodate a bullet feeder if you want that also.

Later,

Chuck

I see the 550B is a 4-station, and the XL 650 is a 5-station. I don't see much info on Dillion's site i.e. technical specs., etc. I frequntly switch from 9mm to 40 (mainly) to 45acp.

I'm not looking for the fastest, but I am wanting reliablity, and consistantsy. Heck....If I can get 150 rds. an hour, that'll be better then my Lee <_< ...stop, and fix, stop, and adjust. You know the drill. Is the 650 worth the extra bings? Opinions please, Thanks

I have a 550 that I use to reload 9mm, 10mm, .40, .45, .357 and .44 magnum. The most significant difference between the 650 and the 550 is that the 650 autoindexes. You have to move the 550 manually. I'm quite happy with the 550, but, like others, only have experience with one of the two models.

I used the money I saved by buying the less expensive press, to buy tool heads and powder dies for each of the calibers. Eventually, I'll probably buy additional powder measures as well. To change calibers, I change out the shell plate, change out the primer bar and primer tube insert if necessary, replace the entire head, dies and all, swap the powder measure from one head to the other, dropping the powder funnel in at the same time, and set the powder measure for the charge I want. All dies are preset for the bullets I normally load. As long as I stick with the same bullet, I don't have to reset anything but the powder measure. When I get more powder measures, I won't have to do that either.

I suppose the Dillon is like other presses. The source of the most aggravation is the primer pickup. It has to be kept clean or it will not cycle properly. Even when clean, it occasionally fails to pick up a primer, but not often. When it does, it's immediately obvious. You can feel, or perhaps more accurately, not feel when a primer does not seat. When that happens, I simply take the case back out, advance the shell plate, and put it back in. I presume that an autoindexing press will make that a bit more of a bother by moving the plate before you have a chance to pull the unprimed case out. Someone with experience with a 650 will have to clear that one up.

My 550 loads bullets faster than I need. I keep at least 1,000 rounds of each caliber I load in stock. I keep a bit more for calibers I shoot most often, which also include those that I load for different purposes. My .45 rounds, for example are loaded for bullseye, which I shoot a couple hundred of a week, IPSC major PF, which I also shoot a couple hundred of a week, and for personal defense, which I only shoot occasionally (for practice). When I shoot some, I reload to replace the stock. My wife normally goes to bed early. I stay up several hours longer. That's when I do my reloading. Frankly, my biggest complaint about the 550 is that it reloads too fast. It only takes a couple of hours to replace what I shoot during the day. I'm considering casting to take up the excess time.

Lee

I had two Pro 1000's and loaded fine on them, but switched to a 650 about a year and a half ago and I wonder what took me so long.

The big point to me was cost as with most people. If I could have let go of the extra cash I would have went with a 1050 just because those that have them swear by them. I went with the 650 with case feeder and powder check because I was used to the progressive and case feeder of the Lee.

I have had a minor kink here and there but overall I am very happy with my choice.

Good luck...

I can load 500 rounds per hour on my 550 with no primer problems. I wanted more speed so I purchased a 650 and give up on it and the primer probles inside of thirty days. I did buy a older 1050 and love it but I think the 550 is the way to go if you plan to change heads. Any dillon is good but remember KISS. Old john

I have 2-650's and a 550. The 550 is easier to change calibers. I use one 650 for major 9 only,one 650 for 40 only. I use the 550 for 9 minor, 38 super,38 spl, 45 acp and 223.

If I could only have one machine it would be a 550.

You may also want to call Brian and talk with him about your specific situation. He is a great help in making this decision.

I bought the 650 over the 550 for several reasons including:

1. I'm a Type A personality and time is very important to me. I want to spend as little time as possible loading and as much time as possible doing other things like shooting.

2. Right now I load only .45ACP but will load at least one more caliber in the future when I finally make the move to Open.

3. When I do load, I tend to load 2K rounds at a time over a couple of days. This minimizes the need for frequent caliber changes.

4. Given No. 1 above and the fact that I am inherently lazy, when I do need to load another caliber I will buy a whole new powder measure, tool head and primer system to reduce the change time required.

5. I had a Hornady LNL previously and experienced several squibs with it. I wanted the Powder Check to avoid these and only the 650 can accommodate that since it requires five stages.

6. When you add the cost of the case feeder to both presses, the difference is only $70 ($600 for 550 vs. $670 for 650).

No matter which way you go, you will be a happy camper with a new Dillon press.

Edited by XD Niner

I GOT 2 550, A 650 AND SQ DEAL. IF ONLY MY 650 WORKS ALL THE TIME I WILL STICK WITH IT BUT FROM MY EXPERIENCE THE 550 AND SQ DEAL HAS LESS PROBLEM AND LOADS FASTER THAN MY 650. IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF TIME AND PATIENCE GET 650 OTHERWISE 550 LESS PROBLEM, EASIER TO CHANGE CALIBERS. BUT NO MATTER WHAT. YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG WITH DILLON THEY HAVE THE BEST SERVICE AND REALLY NO BS WARRANTY....

Definitely give me a call if you're still unsure.

1 877 219-5598

"Should I get the 550 or the 650" is a question I have A LOT of experience with. Here's a point that isn't often mentioned in threads - just because the 650's a more expensive machine, and because you could afford it - doesn't mean that it will be the best machine for you. Here's a common scenario - a guy calls me up, he's never reloaded, he's going to start reloading in 3 or 4 calibers, he shoots about 1000 rounds/month in all his calibers - and he wants to buy a 650. That's just nuts. The 650's appealing to him because it's more expensive so it must be better, and also because it has a Casefeeder and auto-indexing. But in his case the time and trouble he's going to spend fiddling with the thing - keeping it running and every time he changes calibers - are going to way outweigh the slightly slower overall speed of the 550. Unless your planning to load a couple thousand rounds a month in a single caliber, the 550's almost always the better first choice.

And one last thing that's often overlooked when you're trying to make that big first decision - if you're going to load a few calibers and will be shooting a few hundred rounds a week total, get a 550. Then later, if you "get serious in one caliber" - get a 650 (or a 1050). ;) Set the 650 up for your high-volume caliber, and keep the 550 for your lower volume, multi-caliber work.

The 550's a great machine - it's the most durable, reliable, and versatile press there is.

be

Another thing to consider with the 550 is that there is now a casefeeder available for it. Makes it close to as fast as the 650 (maybe as fast), only downside is the 550 doesn't do rifle calibers with the casefeeder as i understand it.

Wow guys......Thanks!

Earlier I was leaning towards the 650, now I'm seriously considering the 550.

Right now I'm 70% 40 cal.

I just love this all purpose gaming cartridge.

If money was not a problem I'd get both.

I have some thinking to do.

I would still have my Lee.

One thing I can say about the Lee......It can take an a$$ whipping, because the last 3 days I've gotten mad at it, and knocked this S%@TT! out of it, and I think it's still working :blink:

B.E. Thanks for chiming in! Good point, and info. I may be contacting you.

Right now I have to fiqure out how I'm going to get this one past the wife :ph34r:

Edited by billdncn

I bought a 650. I like the auto indexing. I only use 4 stations so I have one station empty. I load about 2k rounds a month and have not had any problems with the priming system. The 650 machine is a bid tedious to change from large primer to small primer, but you can always buy a whole setup for each and then it's only a couple bolts to switch. I tend to load every empty case I have in each caliber before switching out though.

I've never used a progressive before, so it took a lot of paying attention to get this sucker set up. Oh yeah - you need lots or bench room for a 650. It's a whopper. It's also kind of silly to try it without a casefeeder.

When I switch calibers, it may take 15 minutes or so, I have toolheads for each. I spend about another 10 minutes checking out the adjustments and then I'm ready to roll out about 800 an hour. i usually get tired before the machine does. I would also use a 550, but I really love the casefeeder and auto indexing on the 650.

The casefeeder for the 550 requires conversion kits for each caliber just to run the casefeeder. The 650 conv. kits already come with the casefeeder conversion stuff. I probably don't use the machine enough to utilize it's full potential. My buddies love to watch it though.

JM

Definitely the 550. I like the manual index, it means I'm in control. Sometimes you have those "oh man" moments and I just like the ease of backing things up when necessary. I can easily load 500+ rounds in an hour and for the difference in conversions and toolheads compared to the 650... I say 550 baby!!

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I have no allegiance to any particular reloading machine or brand. I have owned Lyman, RCBS, Lee, MEC, and Dillon, and they all work. These companies could not remain in the market if they didn't make equipment that works. I did all my pistol reloading on two Lee Pro1000s for 20 years, and they worked just fine. I load on a Dillon XL650 now, and it works fine, too. The trick is to do what you're trying to do right now- find the right machine for your needs.

Since you're considering the 550 vs. the 650, I can tell you how I made my decision to buy the 650, but I cannot speak as a 550 owner, because I've never owned one.

My reasons for buying the 650 were:

1) greater rate of production

2) full auto-indexing progressive (this is not merely a speed feature, it's also a "safety check.")

The tradeoff, i.e., how the 550 is superior to the 650: easier caliber changes.

After owning the 650 for 4 years, I have concluded it's about a wash. I really enjoy the convenience afforded by the speed of the 650. Once set up, it will crank out large numbers of top-quality reloads very fast, and that's important to me. I no longer want to be tied to the loading bench the way I once did.

The downside to this is the complex caliber change procedure. I quickly realized that the only way to solve the caliber change issue was to buy a second complete primer feed, and a second powder measure set up with the large charge bar. Not having to convert these assemblies pays off in greater change-over speed. I also acquired larger stocks of cases in each caliber, so I can go longer before caliber changes.

After owning the 650 for 4 years, I have concluded it's about a wash. I really enjoy the convenience afforded by the speed of the 650. Once set up, it will crank out large numbers of top-quality reloads very fast, and that's important to me. I no longer want to be tied to the loading bench the way I once did.

The downside to this is the complex caliber change procedure. I quickly realized that the only way to solve the caliber change issue was to buy a second complete primer feed, and a second powder measure set up with the large charge bar. Not having to convert these assemblies pays off in greater change-over speed. I also acquired larger stocks of cases in each caliber, so I can go longer before caliber changes.

Ditto! That's why I added the 650 to my 550 (ran into a barely used one last year, with all bells and whistles) in the caliber I shoot the most. The 550 now handles my low quantity large primer calibers, and the 650 is 357 only.