Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ron Avery's Training

Gumby

Forum member Bryan_W has trained w/ Ron in the past - if you don't get anything else, a PM to him might expose some details, that way. Also, Ron's email address is running around somewhere on the net (and in Front Sight, too, possibly, from a couple of months back - the BIPSC article...). I'm sure he'd answer questions via email - he seems like a nice guy the times I've talked to him....

In particular, what he does for those forearms?? He has forearms like Bruce Lee in his videos.

I don't know what he does, but I know a great exercise for the fore arms. All you need is a 5-10# pounds weight (the round type you slip on a bar work well), a length of rope 3-4 feet long and a 1 1/2 dowel and foot and a half long.

You drill a hole in the middle of the dowell and tie the rope so it will hang down a few feet from the dowell when you hold it both hands out stretched.

Then what you do it you hold your arms straight out and "roll" the rope around he dowell using your wrist action. You wind it up and then back down and repeat until your arms are numb. It won't take many reps, and it will give you forearms of steel if you keep it up.

ps. Avery can be a hard ass, so if you are a softy you might get your ego stepped on, ok more like trampled, but if you get past HIS ego (attitude), you should be able to learn a thing or two.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Look into russian kettlebell training. there are a couple of websites to look at. dragondoor.com or my favorite, tacticalathlete.com. i have spoken to Jeff martone about a specific kettlebell program for ipsc shooting ( fast accelaration, positive decelaration, grip strength, etc) he had several great exercises he had to show for these specific areas. He is what you wouod call high speed kind of fella too.