Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow down there "whiskers".

You keep up all this and I won't want a rematch from the last butt whippin you gave me. ;)

You talked to Larry lately? I haven't seen him in a coons age. :(

Hopalong

Every dog has his day, Hop! As a matter of fact, yes, I talk to Larry frequently! He's building up my single stack gun right now (or should be done?? you know how those gunsmiths are....;) )

Airic, I think I'm going to try in the morning. Considering I did deadlifts, rows, shrugs, and pulldowns today, my lats and shoulders are absolutely shot. It was a real struggle to maintain form and I don't want to get sloppy.

XRe - I feel your pain, ain't nuthin' we can do about it though. If you shoot the open as well as you shot Waco after laying off from Nationals, I think you'll do just fine. ;)

Been taking some advice I heard that was attributed to Todd Jarrett - someone mentioned that he asked them what they do when they're on the pot - read a book? He replied that he practices reloads. :P So, trying to maximize my time.... :lol:

Some practice yesterday morning before work and about to get into some dryfire here shortly. Weather still sucks arse but tomorrow may actually bring out the shiny yellow orb... If so, I'm going to try and get to the range and run through a Ronin drill or two, and a new drill that Bryan W has shared with me.

Airic - the streching helped - also this week was the last week of a 3 week session aimed at hitting my arms rather hard and I went pretty heavy this (final) week which has contributed to the total deadness in my shoulders, biceps and triceps. 2 weeks off of that routine coming up so I'm hoping the soreness ain't so bad ;) It's all for good though, because if I can work through my routine sore as hell now, then I can damn sure handle the gun well when I'm tapering off for the big matches.

Finally got to the range today and got about 400 rounds downrange. Did a series of bill drills at about 5 and 10 yards. Times were in the mid to high 1's. Felt terribly rusty and had a hard time at first tracking the sight, but the last couple felt pretty dang good and were zero down, in the 1.6-1.7ish range.

The remainder of the session was spent shooting a "new" drill twice, courtesy of enos member Bryan W. Shot the first go round at 548 points and cleaned it up a bit and shot the second one with 574 points. Worked out to about 84.4% of the points available.

Too many mikes, either lazy on the front sight at distance or impatient on the front sight up close. Otherwise, it felt damn good to get rounds downrange without freezing my ass off!

Here's the drill:

PRACTICAL SHOOTING STANDARDS

Set up 3 USPSA targets – spaced 1 meter apart. Targets are numbered T1, T2 and T3

String 1: 50 Yards (18 Rounds / 90 possible points)

6 shots on T1 in 8 seconds from prone position x 1 run:

6 shots on T2 in 7 seconds kneeling x 1 run:

6 shots on T3 in 6 seconds standing x 1 run:

String 2: 35 Yards (18 Rounds / 90 possible points)

2 shots on T1 – RELOAD – 2 shots on T2 in 6 seconds x 3 runs:

6 shots on T3 standing in 5 seconds x 1 run:

String 3: 25 Yards (18 Rounds / 90 possible points)

2 shots on T1 in 3 seconds x 3 runs:

2 shots on T2 – 2 shots on T3 in 5 seconds x 3 runs:

String 4: 15 Yards (30 Rounds/ 150 possible points)

2 shots on T1, T2, and T3 – RELOAD – 2 shots on T1, T2, and T3 in 8 seconds x 1 run

(Score and tape)

2 shots on T1, T2, and T3 strong hand only in 6 seconds x 1 run:

2 shots on T1, T2, and T3 weak hand only in 6 seconds x 1 run:

2 shots on T1, T2, and T3 upper A/B zone in 7 seconds x 1 run:

String 5: 10 Yards (30 Rounds / 150 possible points)

EL PRESIDENTE –2 on each target –RELOAD-2 on each target in 7 seconds x 1 run

EL PRESIDENTE – Upper A/B drill [same as above] in 10 seconds x 1 run:

(Score and tape targets)

2 shots on T1 in 1.5 seconds, facing target x 3 runs:

String 6: 7 Yards (22 Rounds / 110 possible points)

2 shots upper A/B on T1 in 2 seconds x 3 runs:

2 shots on T1 –RELOAD- 2 shots on T2 – RELOAD – 2 shots on T3 in 5 seconds x 1 run

2 shots on T3 in 1.3 seconds x 5 runs:

Maximum Possible Score: 680

Total Rounds: 136

The drill that Catfish posted is something I put together and is a spin off of an old drill I knew as Ronin's Drill - This one, however, is tad harder. Although the PAR times may look very easy the goal is shoot A's and not just beat the times. For example, the EL Prez string in the upper A/B in 10 seconds seems easy - keeping your focus and follow through in check for this string is another matter. It's a decent standards practice drill to help teach you what you need to see in order to shot A's on demand. Good luck!

Had a fantastic pracitce session tonight after making some ammo and becoming better aquainted with my new 650. :)

Did a session of slow draws, buring it in really focusing on minimizing unecessary movement in either my head (which was going slighty forward) or my right shoulder (right handed) raising up. At some point in the middle of that it just hit me that I'm very much becoming one with the gun. Cool kinda zen like moment indeed. B)

Hit some race day speed draws without the timer and then brought everything back down to slow and controlled.

Some light reload drills, nothing major just focusing on being smooth and having impeccable coordination.

Good high intensity cardio at the gym today has me rather euphoric from the endorphins and it's lasted all day long.

- It's like me to move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination

Shot IDPA tonight with my SW 1911 in CDP. Considering this is the 2nd time I've shot the pistol and it was cold as a witch's.... I'm pleased. Movement felt very crisp, impeccable actually. ;)

Had one stage where I completely forgot I was 8 round challenged and ended up having to do an "oh well" reload at the end because I ran out of bullets. :blink:

We had lots of new shooters out tonight so I spent a LOT of time with them making sure that they understood what was expected of them and that they were being safe and having fun.

Considering that I plan to shoot single stack nats and then Area 4 in the SS division, I'm going to need to put some more time in practicing reloads - that SS mag well is sure small; but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Until after the Double Tap Champ match is over, Limited will be my main focus with single stack/CDP as a diversion from time to time.

Was a rest day from the gym and other than freezing my ass off tonight (stupid weathermen and 53 degrees my as_!) felt very good physically today. Soreness from last week's brutality pretty much gone.

- It's like me to move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination

I really wanted to come tonight. I ended up getting talked out of it by my wife after I spent all day in the back room dryfiring. She hasnt quite come to terms with the fact that dryfiring is different than shooting a match...she just thinks all ive done all day is play with guns. :D

no practice tonight - night off!

Hoping the weather cooperates this weekend - rain and cold are predicted which means shooting double tap on Saturday is not going to happen. Whatever rain comes, hopefully it won't screw up the range where I'm the match director Sunday....

Have I mentioned I'm tired of this weather yet?

Some table draws and reloads off the table tonight. Spent a good bit of time making bullets and cleaning my Limited gun. Noticed the slide was starting to slow down a bunch at last weekend's practice session, and considering it's going to be cold this weekend I needed to get rid of the slide glide anyway and put on some lighter oil.

Good workout today; today was measuring day and I'm happy to report I've lost 4 whole inches off my gut since Thanksgiving! :D

Was shafted by the weather Gods today; no match at Wichita Falls. :angry:

Made the most of it, made bullets, adusted the 650 for a new load using Zeros instead of Montana Golds - had to lengthen the OAL considerably; I'd been loading fairly short for most game guns to have the rounds fit my MP40 as well.....

Designed stages for tomorrow's match - Gunracer is back online! :D

Essentially fondled the pistol all day, working on trigger control and grip. Some more formalized practice to come shortly, some more table draws and regular draws/reloads. Everything slow mo, no speed whatsoever tonight; will burn it in for tomorrow's match. (which will hopefully go over just fine with no weather surprises.... :wacko:

Will run some rounds through the chrono tomorrow to make sure the new rounds are where they need to be.

- It's like me to move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination. :)

Nice solid match today. I'm starting to get some very positive feedback from all my working out - my legs felt very very strong today, and those low ports/under table shots while squatting were a piece of cake; something that I would have been dreading last year.

Felt good. ;)

- It's like me to move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination.

Snuck in some dry fire at the end of the day yesterday. Went back to some table draws - loaded/unloaded; and worked on continuing tio smooth out my draw and reloads.

I wanted to make sure that any bad habits I *might* have picked up at speed during the match yesterday were banished and good, smooth technique was reinforced before I went to bed.

Made more bullets, organized loading tables and called it a day.

More work at home tonight. :)

Edited for bonehead spellin. :blink:

Edited by Catfish

Excellent work at the gym today. Had two more sets to go, of increasing weight and decreasing reps of 2 and then 1. Was lifting pretty heavy for me and just wanted to bag it because I was feeling it from the rest of the workout. I just remembered that I'm on a mission, and that mission does not involve leaving the gym early so shut up and press 'em out. And I did. :)

Good dry fire session at home. Again working on minimizing any unecessary movement.

Spent time in breaking down the draw into two parts, and isolating the speed from each half. First part is getting my hand on the gun and getting a good grip; rolling my hand into the beavertail. Second part is getting the gun out of the holster and on target. So for 10 draws I would get to the gun as fast as I could and then get the gun out on target as smoothly as I could. Then swapped. Got to the gun as smoothly as I could and then brought the gun on target as fast as I could. I struggled at first in isolating the two movements, but then at the end put them both together, same speed and felt solid.

Did a plethora of Burkett reloads; and realized that I'd caught myself wasting time. I catch myself every now and then watching the mag allllll the way into the gun, until it's seated.

I took the Burkett drill a setp further to try and correct this issue. I brought the mag up, just into the mag well and then paused, ala Burkett's drill. Then I shifted my eyes back to the target and put the mag the rest of the way in the instant my eyes snapped to the target. I'm going to do this drill some more and see if it has the desired effect, but I think I'm on to something here.

Practiced some moving reloads, striving to finish the reload within one step.

All in all, a good day at the Catfish household. ;)

Edited by Catfish

There is a saying, "Sever the edge between before and after." Not ridding

the mind of previous moments, allowing traces of the present mind to remain

- both are bad. This means one should cut right through the interval between

past and present. It means not detaining the mind.

-Takuan Soho

This little gem showed up on the Maku Mozo list this week. I really like it as it seems to speak directly to what we do, or should be doing when we are competing. It says to me that as soon as I call the shot, GET MOVING!

Good cardio day at the gym today, no gun practice other than some generic gun fondling and mag changes while kicking back. I'm shooting well, practicing well, and working well - and I have no intention of burning out; which makes rest days mandatory.