Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Build Debugging

chuckbradley

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find any SATA drivers. the only thing i can find is SATA RAID drivers. Is this what I need"?

This is bringing back bad flashbacks from when I built my last computer ---- with WD Raptors for the OS and the Photo Ingest folder. I seem to remember having to download a specific SATA --- and it may even have been a SCSI --- driver, in order to make the computer bootable off a SATA hard disk.

Off course my Gigabyte Mobo had two normal hard disk controllers and a couple of SATA connectors ---- but it was apparently designed to prefer to boot from a non-SATA drive.

Anyway ---- I'm pretty sure I found my answer on the WD site, searching something like booting from SATA Disk or Bootable Raptor....

HTH....

Austin,

this post in this thread may help --- as may other stuff in that thread, which basically details how I decided to build a new computer, and most important of all, contains all of the valuable advice I was given....

Click This Link.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.......

well im not really sure what i did other than going ahead and installing sata raid drivers. but i got windows installed and got to he desktop. im gonna go through normal drivers and stuff then i will run some stress tests. I will let you all know how it goes.

Right on man, your on track. Gotta communicate between mobo and HDD with SATA baby! No stress tests yet,....unless its a burn in test program. My only other recommendation had you not fixed it to completion, besides the mobo, was memory...but OCZ mem is the shiznit and there is nothing on the intel website that has specific Mem manufacturer recommedations.

thanks, i will keep you all posted on how it goes. Also I noticed on the device manager that there is a device simply called "pci device" which is not working properly. There are not pci card installed at the moment and if i do install the pci cards (modem and sound) there is still a generic pci device detected not running right.

There should be a few items in device manager that have a yellow exclamation point. Don't worry about it. On mine its the Promise fastrack raid controller as I have it disabled in the bios in favor of the via raid controller, which , although I am not using RAID 0 (Striping without parity) the SATA drivers are part and parcel.

Make sure you run the latest chipset INF package for that board. You should be able to find it on Intel's download site by looking up the board model. That may get rid of unexplained bangs in the Device Manager.

+1 They should have been on the CD during/for install as the published released of the .inf was early 2006.

Look at the version here and see if it jibes with your copy.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...al〈=eng

Well i left the computer on all night to see if it would survive idling for several hours. This morning I tried to do some windows updates and left it alone. When i came back it was at a blue screen error: 0x000000D1 and had a usbport.exe file or somthing to do with usb below the stop error message. I restarted and tried to download a diagnostics tool and it restarted on its own once and when windows loaded back up and i tried the download again it went to a blue screen:

BAD_POOL_HEADER

Stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x885F8D28, 0x885F8DF8, 0x0A1A0008)

Edited by Austin Bradley

Well I checked the date of the MB purchase and we are about a week outside the return window. We already sent back the hard drive and got a new one from WD. Probably wasnt anything wrong with it. I suppose Intel will replace the MB but we dont really know for sure thats what it is.

Austin is getting pretty frustrated, he doesnt really know where to go from here. He tried downloading a diagnostic tool but it wouldnt install. He said he tried it many times. The part that is frustrating is to have error and codes and not know what they are or how to fix. Whats also disheartening is the fact these companies put out crap that wont work. Maybe its a situation comparable to one of my customers buying a +1 base pad and getting frustrated when, installed on a 126 mag, it wont seat in the gun. Of course at least they can call me and I will tell them why. In this case we as consumers are on our own. Of course you guys are trying to help but i know its like trying to diagnose a gun problem over the phone.

I think a better analogy is someone trying to build a 1911 from so-called "drop in" parts, for whatever that's worth... ;)

I wouldn't try using the sick machine to do downloads, and such - use a working machine for that, and transfer items to the sick machine via floppy or CD. That'll save a lot of time. Don't know if that's what you're doing, Austin, but the last two posts lead me to think that, for some reason...

Most of the answers are "out there" on the web, and accessible via Google, and such, but its time consuming and frustrating. Mike and Sandoz are feeding you good info - keep plugging away, and you'll figure it out... ;)

Ok Austin.

You need to give more info and what you have been doing.

Were you upgrading/downloading XP SP2?

If so, then do you also have a wireless network card, like say a netgear? Tell me you DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NORTON OR SYMANTEC.

Try turning off your indexing service via Start->Run type services.msc then find indexing service and set it to disabled.

the xp installation i used already had sp2 installed i was installing all the high priority updates. no wireless card. the cd that came with the mobo installed norton with the chipset inf last night but i uninstalled it immediately after i noticed it. I did install AVG free anti-virus last night. i also checked indexing it was already disabled.

Edited by Austin Bradley

I think a better analogy is someone trying to build a 1911 from so-called "drop in" parts, for whatever that's worth... ;)

Yea, I was thinking more of compatibility between parts but I think your analogy is a better one for the whole process. I wish it was as easy as putting a drop in 1911 together but for those that are as knowledgeable with computers this may seem simple also.

Ok Austin.

You need to give more info and what you have been doing.

Were you upgrading/downloading XP SP2?

If so, then do you also have a wireless network card, like say a netgear? Tell me you DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NORTON OR SYMANTEC.

Try turning off your indexing service via Start->Run type services.msc then find indexing service and set it to disabled.

We do use a wireless netgear router but that machine is on it by a network cable.

Try a different hookup. The research I did on your error code is netgear....or one of them. Norton was an issue as well with that code. So you have two items to troubleshoot for bsod.

Chuck, my builds are all researched for compatibility, which takes awhile cruising the technical forums. Worth it in the long run.

Edited by Sandoz

Try a different hookup. The research I did on your error code is netgear....or one of them. Norton was an issue as well with that code. So you have two items to troubleshoot for bsod.

Chuck, my builds are all researched for compatibility, which takes awhile cruising the technical forums. Worth it in the long run.

I thought we did that but not detailed enough I guess. We dont have the expertise to get as detailed as needed. Sort of goes back to the manufacturers putting out crap that would have these issues. We used an article on the net, best bang for the buck, as a basis. Then things happened, some our own decision, that resulted in a few different brand items. I thought we went to a higher end, name product than what they suggested to keep this from happening.

Hopefully we can get it to work. I appreciate the help.

None of the things you have are necessarily junk, Chuck/Austin. Compatibility can be a difficult game though. Building a system from various parts just doesn't work sometimes, even when you buy top of the line from each vendor. Nothing guarantees that they will work together. Companies that sell complete systems or small builders will test that the complete systems they sell do not have compatibility issues (well, that's the theory anyway.) Where I work, we do some compatibility testing for the big companies from time to time and it is VERY common to see top brand peripherals that get rave reviews not work when combined with certain boards or other peripherals. Frustrating as hell for the consumer, to be sure. Doesn't mean that the product is crap, it just means that there is no way they can possibly test for the infinite number of combinations that the product might be deployed.

The new blue screen error is also driver related. It may be tricky to figure out which one. I forget what all you've added, but try to strip the system down to the bare motherboard. Remove everything possible, one by one, and see when the problem goes away (hopefully it does!) Then you have your culprit. I trust you have applied the latest downloadable drivers and firmware for any add-ins. I suspect the problem is related to a driver, but memory can also cause strange anomalies. You might swap memory with another system, if that is an option, or if you have more than one DIMM, remove one, run for a while, see if the error occurs, run with the other, etc.

after installing the lan driver i found it was setting on the desktop while i walked away for a little bit. i came back and it was back to the blue screen error 0x00000019 BAD_POOL_HEADER. I have been reading about checking the memory dump file to help find the problem. Do you know anything about doing this and if it will even help me out.

When Windows KB's in the kernel, you should get a memory.dmp file in the windows root folder. You can download windbg from Microsoft, which can be used to open dmp files. Setup directions are in the getting started section on their site. Basically, set up for connection to the symbol server as they describe, open the memory.dmp file, and type !analyze in the command box. You may get some useful info like the name of the faulting driver.

Need to know:

All the software you loaded as there are conflicts with bad pool in the following areas associated with faulty/incompatible hardware or more likely faulty drivers. Areas researched that show this header are

*Nero

*Norton

*Winamp

*Active-x (disable for now)

*Firefox

*ATI drivers (fixed with omegas)

*USB drivers (one fix mentioned using the adapter for PS on the usb connect)

*A router incorrectly set the packet fragmentation bit on a browser broadcast datagram packet. The Tcpip.sys driver attempts to reassemble this packet and causes pool memory corruption. <see netgear>

*SB Audigy sound card drivers

*NETGEAR (capped for a reason with the LAN driver issue you have)

*Isochronous devices such as a webcam , consumer grade cameras and audio devices require the specific timing coordination. When data travels across a busy network, data packets can experience variable delays due to network traffic. This 'first come', 'first served' delivery method is problematic for isochronous devices because the data must be delivered within specific time restraints.

*Is your system BIOS Cache enabled? Disable it.

*match memory timings in your bios with your memory

Reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 a few times when the PC is starting up).

If the problem does not happen there, then it's a hardware driver conflict.

Rerun Windows XP Setup from the installation disk, but choose to "repair" XP.

Edited by Sandoz

Is the NETGEAR software residing in your startup folder? I really will like to see the driver version and software configuration utility that was installed for netgear. What card are you u using for the cable network connect or is it all wireless?