Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Georgia Firearms License

cpty1

Thought I'd share my experience as I went to renew my Georgia carry permit. Some background...for a short period in GA, a change was mandated by ATF, whereby a carry permit no longer eliminated the need for FFL licensees to do a NICs check when selling/transferring a gun to a non-licensee. I had heard this was due to the ATF's belief that the GA carry permit renewal process was not more comprehensive. A few months ago, a carry permit was once again recognized by ATF in lieu of a NICs check for gun purchases. Now I think I know why ATF once again recognized a carry permit in lieu of a NICs check. Now, there is no longer a carry permit "renewal" process in GA. Every "renewal" is no different than a new request. No more interim license issued if renewing within 30 days of expiration; you have to pay the additional money (combination of cash and money order) for the complete background check, fingerprints, etc., etc. The probate office estimated a 6 month turnaround on the receipt of my new license. Granted, this is Fulton county, and each county could be different..but, to be sure, I would suggest, if anyone wants to completely eliminate the possibility of a gap in their carry permit eligibility, that they begin the "renewal" process upwards of 6 months prior to the expiration of the current license.

Edited by cpty1

I can only dream of living some place where getting a CCL is a long and frustrating process.

Out here, it is quick and very entertaining: you ask for the form to apply and the cops roll on the floor laughing as if you were a moron. ...... since none have been granted in this city in more than 40 years.

6 months is unreasonable! My wife applied for her first permit today (Oconee County) and they said that Probate court will be calling us in 2 business days. We'll see if that holds true or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they don't inflate the wait time to try and discourage people. I'll reply back when I actually see the new license. We'll see how long it takes.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they don't inflate the wait time to try and discourage people. I'll reply back when I actually see the new license. We'll see how long it takes.

Please do. Mine doesn't expire until late-2008, but I'll start the renewal process now if it helps. :o

My new one in Clarke county took less than two months. Sadly I moved to MO and now I have to take a class. I have been told I have to be able to put 15 of 20 rds on a B-27 target at 7 yds (I think I am going to try for 20 rds within the 9 ring in under 10 secs).

I do feel your pain about the GA thing I have heard that Fulton and Chatham were pretty slow counties to get permits.

Come on, Chris... Fulton County?? What do you expect??? ;) 6 months blows... seems like I remember it used to be that if they couldn't find a reason to deny it in 3 months from the application date, they had to issue it... but its been about 10 years since I've applied for a permit in GA, and then it was a renewal, so...

Man....I feel privileged to Live in Alabama.... In shelby county you mail in the application with $25 and I had my new Lic. in less than 2 weeks. Even the first application took less than 1 month....print the applicaton off the the web site and mail with check and thats IT!!!! Put that in the PLUS column for AL....

Edited by DrawandDuck

My wife just got her "renewed" Georgia CCW and it took less than 2 weeks from application to card arriving in mail at my house. We live in Houston County about 100 miles south of Atlanta. Ya'll need to leave Hotlanta and come down to "Mayberry".

Yeah, one of the many nice things about Fulton county I guess. I remember my first permit...many years ago in Cherokee County, Alabama. There's a metropolis for you. :lol: Caught the county sheriff in the grocery store parking lot; told him what I wanted; he pulled a blank form out of his glove box and wrote the permit on the spot. Guess the probate didn't even have to sign them in those days. My how things have changed.

Edited by cpty1

Chris, Mark, and everyone, this is Mike Menkus writting this.

The good news is that a group I belong to is fighting this BS. I'm the group's treasurer. The group is georgiacarry.org and our web address is www.georgiacarry.org . We are suing several probate judges for violating the law on the 60 day issuance requirement, refusing to issue temporary permits, requiring more information than permitted by law such as social security numbers, employment information, etc.

We've got a 60 days case in front of the appeals court right now. I'm not sure when a ruling is expected. Ideally, we will win and that ruling would apply to all courts in the State. Here is a link to the case with all of the documents.

http://georgiacarry.org/cms/category/action-items/60-days/

The judge in that case responded to effect that the 60 day requirement doesn't apply to her because she doesn't want it to apply to her (nice). When we did research about turnaround times we found the metro atlanta area had the worst. There are some counties where you walk in, apply, get fingerprinted, and get your license ... all within 2 hours. I've heard Gwinnett is fast. In Oconee County, the Sheriff is a good guy and will help if you have issues, which is highly unlikely. Fulton ... I'm not sure what to say except you are not alone. I am aware of another IPSC shooter with the same issue.

We also are suing Cobb County for not issueing temporary permits. I'm the plantiff. Once again, the Judge thinks he's above the law. I can't comment on an open forum about the status but am happy to discuss it next time I see you. Here is the link for all of the documents:

http://georgiacarry.org/cms/category/actio...orary-licenses/

We aren't really a "shall issue" state. There is that pesky "of good moral character" clause in section 16-11-129 (d) that originated in the Jim Crow era. The entire process was meant to prevent Blacks from bearing arms. If you look at this law and compare it to the laws disenfranchising Blacks, you'll see the same methods used, and it was written by the same folks. The reason the Probate Judges are used is that its an elected office and since Blacks weren't allowed to hold office back then, all Probate Judges were white. They also have judicial immunity. Hence, the Probate Judges could be counted on to reject every application submitted by a Black. Its shameful that these Jim Crow era laws are still on the books and are still defended by our leaders.

Back to the suits .... the attorney time and filing fees are being funded by the Board members. We are looking for members so we can fund more lawsuits and our appeals to the Georgia Supreme Court if neccessary. The fees and expenses are expensive. We'd like to do more since we have more targets than ammo (money). Here is the link for the membership information:

http://georgiacarry.org/cms/georgiacarryorg-membership/

We also are going to be active at the Legislature to get rid of the public gathering nonsense (another law written by white sepremacists to prevent Blacks from bearing arms. The Public Gathering clause was added after the Camilla Massacre in 1870'ish). If we can, we going to get the licensing process changed too. Our legislative priority is the public gathering nonsense though since we think we'll be successful enforcing the law regarding the process agianst the Probate Judges.

Now for the bad news. The Republicans aren't our friends and lately seem quite anti-gun. I spoke to one of the sponsors of HB1032, which is the law change per the ATF. He knew his law would cause delays and doesn't have any plans to remedy it. Prior to the election, Sonny would not allow concealed carry reform bills to be introduced. The Georgia Supreme Court just ruled against a gun owner and said that the second amendment doesn't apply in Georgia and we have no right to bear arms under the state consitution. UGH!!!

You can do two things to improve our stituation:

1) Call your state senator and representative and complain about the turnaround time and the public gathering clause. This costs nothing and they may be able to call the Probate Judge for you. This has helped some people get their license quicker.

2) Join GeorgiaCarry.Org. So we can continue to sue the Probate Judges to get them to follow the law.

See you at the range,

Mike Menkus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

To keep this post alive, I went to the Sheriff's office yesterday because my license expired 2 months ago and they did a background check while I waited, took a new picture, relieved me of $25 and told me I would see my license in the mail within a week. I was asked 3 times if that was my correct address because it was not the same as on my drivers license. I explained that I used a different address for mail so that someone could not take the address off a check & go see whether or not I was home.

My new one in Clarke county took less than two months. Sadly I moved to MO and now I have to take a class. I have been told I have to be able to put 15 of 20 rds on a B-27 target at 7 yds

I was going to ask: how drunk would somebody have to be to not be able to do that? :lol:

It gets better. Here's what is required in Louisiana under LAC 55:I:1307.

f. actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures:

i. live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds;

ii. each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance;

iii. each applicant or permittee must score 100 percent hits within the silhouette portion of a N.R.A. B-27 type silhouette target with at least 36 rounds

In other words, 12 rounds at 6ft with a reload somewhere in there and hit the black of a B-27. Do it again at 10ft. Do it again at 15ft.

In my class of 20 +/- there were 2 that failed this course. One passed it the second time around and the other failed it the second time around. I understand that the individual got one-on-one instruction and passed it the third time around. Scares me.

• 3 months later...

Marshall County Alabama.

Walk into sheriffs office and submit an application form along with photo ID.

Immediate NCIC check and license is issued on the spot if no criminal history.

Cost is $10 per year.

Entire process in less than five minutes.

Renewal requires an update of the NCIC check, pay the money and new license is issued.

Takes about 2 minutes.

Alabama is a "may issue" state they are not required to issue a permit.

Some other states balk at recognizing an Alabama permit because they complain that there should be stiffer requirements.

The reply?

We are bound by the Constitution of the United States. It is not optional.

If an individual has no criminal history, we simply have no right to refuse a person that wants to exercise constitutional guarantees.

"Sweet Home Alabama"

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Some other states balk at recognizing an Alabama permit because they complain that there should be stiffer requirements.

Same line South Carolina used on us. Texas did too at first, but our AG was able to work it out and now we have reciprocity with the great Lone Star state!