Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Ar15 Question

GentlemanJim

Sirs,

I would like to build up an ar for open ,and I like short guns for quick close encounters.

Do the short guns make enough fps with milspec ammo to make the PF required??

I know a well built short gun can be accurate enough.

Thanks ..Jim

Made it with room to spare on my 16" with Ultramax Remanufactered 55gr. ammo.

Rich

ETA: So I don't see a problem making it with the 69gr. SMK's and approx. 2800fps loads that I will be using.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Very cool!! thanks !!

I have a rock river mid .

I would like a 16'' JP bbl and comp with as long a gas sys that will fit.

Maybe a drop in trigger and some good glass and free float..

Thanks for the info..Its hard to make a good decision without the facts!!

...Jim

Jim,

What Benny is trying to point out is that with a 16" gun the longest gas system you can get is mid length. This results in the gun being a little more violent when fired. However if you go with the 18" barrel you can have a full length gas system and have a gun that shoots smoother. Given that there is seldom a time when the 16" gun has any advantage in our sport on length time wise, however you will always be saving time with a gun that is so stable it allows you to double and triple steel targets at distance.

• 2 months later...

Two questions:

1) How about a 14.5" barrel with comp...are those making minor, or is it iffy.

2) CMMG sells 16" barrel with rifle length gas system. (www.cmmginc.com). Do these things work? Would they work with decent 55 gr ammo? What do you think?

DD

.223 ammo is all over the board.. I'd be surprised if XM193 ammo didn't make minor in every rifle out there. In 18-20" barrels it's probably 3,200-3,300+ fps..

But some ammo is close to 2,800 in 18" barrels, might (probably) be an issue there.

The quick answer is; if it is factory, and you have anything 14.5" or longer, you are almost certain to make Minor. I had some loads (over half) that made Minor out of a 11.5" barrel. As I recall, there were no loads that failed to make Minor out of a 16" barrel, even the excreble British Radway Green 5.56, down-loaded to keep their miserable SA80s from falling apart.