Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Practice With An Open Gun

Supermoto

http://www.walshimaging.com/uspsa/media/mike1.3.mpg

6mb so it might load slow

This was my first try at open. wow. lots of fun, but I didn't get the hits I hoped. wasn't tracking the dot well. and shooting alittle to fast for me, but great fun

Any tips would be great. about me shooting or tips in general for open

Dan Bedell builds a hell of a gun, hopefully one day I can use it to its potential

Well what were the hits? Open is just like any gun you still aim and followthrough. Seems fast for that distance and open targets. I know you can't burst out of a box on a slipperly indoors but your entry into last position in especially good. 3 shots on the move. If you did that on the first array it would be .5-1.0 faster run.

A lot of folks think that just 'cause you shoot Open that you can turn the brain off and the bullets just magically show up on paper and hit the steel. What I had to learn is that while the mechanical function of the pistol is the same, it's a completely different gun.

Start with the basics: groups, timing drills, etc. You'll be faster for sure, but don't overlook the fundamentals just 'cause the gun is lighter, faster and has less muzzle flip.

Rich

Well what were the hits? Open is just like any gun you still aim and followthrough. Seems fast for that distance and open targets. I know you can't burst out of a box on a slipperly indoors but your entry into last position in especially good. 3 shots on the move. If you did that on the first array it would be .5-1.0 faster run.

My hit were A then a C at 10 o'clock or a C with a D at 10 o'clock. I was watching the dot but not waiting that split second for it to return, basically if the dot was on the brown I pulled the trigger <_< With the help of Hdgun (from this site) I was able to get the dot to track vertically and aimed alittle more, my last run was almost all A and just alittle longer in time

Mike,

Congrats on the new pistol - are you sure you want to shoot Open? :lol:

It'll be nice to have another Open guy around to push the rest of us - welcome!

Paul

Thanks Paul, it will be alittle while before I bring the open gun to a match, still have some goals for L-10 that I want to hit.

My hit were A then a C at 10 o'clock or a C with a D at 10 o'clock. I was watching the dot but not waiting that split second for it to return, basically if the dot was on the brown I pulled the trigger <_< With the help of Hdgun (from this site) I was able to get the dot to track vertically and aimed alittle more, my last run was almost all A and just alittle longer in time

Ok thats a start but I really meant all the targets. The sooner you understand why "D's"are controlled misses the better.

I think I called it? "not waiting for the dot" is really not aiming and no visual patience. The neat thing about Open is it brings out fundamental flaws quickly. Sounds like grip and stance are areas of improvement after hearing about dot tracking issues also.

Now if you want to really "see" something. Run a hit factor on both stages and compute stage points. "Just a little longer stage" is probably at least a complete HF better, I bet. If I could shoot 1 HF better every stage I could win almost any major match. ;) Don't shoot faster shoot better.

Heres a quote for you to remember later too. I realized that I could shoot "A's" as fast as I could shoot anything. B)