Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Sx2 Gas Piston Tool ?

GunCat

Anyone used something like this to take apart the gas piston?

GAS PISTON TOOL

Are there any tricks to disassembling this piston apart for a 100% thorough cleaning?

Do you even need to take it part? (No I don't - but another fellow thinks he does - and I agreed to buy or make this tool for him :angry: )

Funny I made a tool that looks alot like this a couple of years ago using the same things.

Pat. pending my tush.. hard to patent all-thread, nuts, scrap steel and a ground up socket.

If the gun was ran dry for a ton of rounds it could be carboned up, I run my piston wet and it just wipes clean and the insides stay clean.

A good soaking in Kroil will clean it up.

The best reason to get this is to modify the spring rate to create your own lite clays piston by increasing spring rate and tuning your gun to the loads.

Don't take it apart. Wipe it clean, use carb cleaner if needed for really tough gunk, then relube, including the inside rings and outside ring. If it breaks, buy a new one.

Edited by AH6IP

Don't take it apart. Wipe it clean, use carb cleaner if needed for really tough gunk, then relube, including the inside rings and outside ring. If it breaks, buy a new one.

This is great advice from someone who knows alot more than I do.

I went through all the effort to take one apart, then found carb cleaner & Kroil does do a good job cleaning the piston assy. Run it wet and it cleans up easy.

If you had more time and money than I do, you could use a valve spring tester to figure out the spring rates on the Clays and regular pistons and make one in between them that may just be the hot setup?? Or you could just have more time and money than me??

If you look real close at the pistons, you will notice that the bottom base ring threads into the piston. Browning/Win have a color code for their bases. Basically, it means that the thickness of the base that goes into the piston is a different thickness; i.e., different gas advantage. The spring itself is not different, it's just the amount of compression is has by the base ring thickness. Just spend the money and get you a Light Sporting Clays Piston if that's what you want. The standard piston will run fine with 3 Dram 1 1/8oz loads FWI. Just shoot the gun-it will run better.