Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been listing stuff on ebay for a little while now, but I am tired of all of the insertion fees, gallery photo fees, fees for this and that etc. Anyone here have any issues with craigslist in your area? I have just started checking it out and was wondering what the collective experiences have been like. Thanks in advance.

Good and bad. I've only used it a little but I've experienced one or two flaky buyers. I've received an "I'll take it" and then they changed their mind 2 days later after I'd pulled the post. But I've also had 1 or 2 great transactions on there as well.

Despite the fees, I like ebay for not having to deal with people in person. Some Craig's List people have said they will take it and then try to haggle in person. Very annoying. To help with ebay's fees, I usually pad a couple bucks in my handling fee, which the buyer just sees as part of the shipping total. They frequently do insertion fee sales, so you can also save stuff up to sell then. I've really had only one flaky buyer on ebay, were I've had to leave bad feedback. Most of the things I've sold on ebay got me more than I figured I'd get.

The thing with Craigslist is that there is no consequence to a buyer or seller if they back out. I haven't tried selling anything so far I mostly just buy stuff. My wife and I were able to completely outfit our sons room for less then $300.

I've found Craigslist stuff tends to go quick and cheap or not at all. I've gotten a few killer deals off it, and got rid of some stuff quick as well. Their no-guns thing is annoying though.

Likewise on you only have the buyer/seller's word they want it or still have it. I try and meet at a public place so we don't have to deal with going to/from somebody's house if possible.

I've had pretty good luck with ebay, although they did cancel one of my auctions for a SpecOps Brand Mamba sling. I think it was because I stated in my ad what type of rifle it was for. Thats my best guess. I listed a couple of other gun related items (grips, HKS speedloaders) with no issues though. Otherwise, its been ok, I was just looking for an alternative, mainly for large items that I am not willing to go to the hassle of packaging up for shipping. I have a riding mower that does not run that I would love to get rid of, but I'm sure not going to list that on ebay so I thought I would try craigslist before resorting to running an ad in the paper.

I have no plans of letting anyone I don't know come to my house. I bought a place in the middle of nowhere for that very reason, so I will only work a deal if we can meet someplace neutral. At least thats the plan :D .

If/when I happen to list any "gun"-oriented items on eBay I take caution not to include any "dangerous" keywords in ANY of the text that may trigger eBay's knee-jerk reactions to their policies on "gun" stuff. That seems to work.

If you like garage / yards sales, you'll like Craigs List. I find it to hard to search and haven't found many guns in the Houston listings.

Guns are deleted rapidly off the system by the "volunteers" flagging them as contraband. Depends how active your local set of wet-blankets is how long the guns stay up. They tend to stay up longer if they aren't obviously guns to the uninitiated from the title alone..