Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swenson Safeties

Calamity Jane

I guess I've led a very sheltered life. I don't have Swensons on any of my guns, and as far as I know, I've never shot one that had them installed. I have noticed a light "dusting" of skin/leather from the side of my thumb in the rear cocking serrations of some guns after I shoot them, so I know I do sometimes contact the slide when shooting.

Are these shields and shielded-safeties primarily intended for use on super-light sprung guns? Would it be safe to say that the heavier springs I run in my Limited and Lim10 guns are the reason I haven't needed shields?

The lower and wider pad allow you to much more pressure on the safety. Be it lefty or righty. This allows faster recovery from recoil, nice for limited guns. Most of us will have problems with dragging the slide when you change your grip to put pressure on the safety paddle. So some sort of shield is a good idea. Also found that the thumb pressure from strong hand helps balance pressure from weak hand on grip. Which helps reduce horizontal stringing in your groups. IMHO

Is the inscription on the Swensons "It took 80 hours to fit this &^$@( thing"? :lol:

Something like that :D

Actually, the part of this gun the 'smith b****d about most was polishing and serrating the cocking handle... and checkering the back of the slide... (on an Open gun??? sheesh... :) ). I think he's got Swensons down to a science, at this point....

• 6 years later...