Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Tsunami Dillon 1050?

Howdy .

I have a dillon 1050 ,and at my 166pf load the case is very full,,aa#7 10.1gr.

As I index, the shell plate snaps into position on the detent ball throwing a small tsunami of powder out of the case.

Does any one have a cure? I used to slow the shellplate with my finger,but the fingers dont work as good as they used to.

Up to my knees in powder....Jim

Is that an older 1050? I think the newer ones have a slower index that is not as prone to throw the powder out of the case. The older ones (if I'm remembering correctly) waited as long as possible to index to allow longer rifle cartridges to clear the tool head before indexing. Now, I believe, it depends on the cartridge the machine is originally set up for.

Guy

Another tip too is that as the shellplate comes around, I place the bullet and hold it and the case ('cause I don't put a lot of bell on my brass) and "walk" the shellplate into it's detent. It's not slow by any means as I can do over 1000/hour at a "slow" pace.

Rich

Is that your Major 9 load ? I was wondering if all that AA7 would fit in there. :)

YUP it fits.

I am using 10.1 gr aa#7 124gr zero jhp oal 1.1750 wsrp.

It makes 1350--1375 fps, and shows no pressure signs even if loaded with pistol primers.

Also as well as I can measure it is not a compresed load.

My practice load is all the same with only 9.4gr...mostly just to conserve powder.

this is in MY gun STI TRUBOR my wifes identical gun needs one tenth more powder to get the same fps.

I do not know how this load would work ,,,or be safe in any other gun!!!

I was using 9mm major in 1984-88 caspian frame and slide single stack,clark ramped bbl

rifleing relieved to allow 38 super oal 162gr rn colorado cast 7.2gr aa#7 wsrp...those DID run with pressure sighns.

...old ...Jim

Another tip too is that as the shellplate comes around, I place the bullet and hold it and the case ('cause I don't put a lot of bell on my brass) and "walk" the shellplate into it's detent. It's not slow by any means as I can do over 1000/hour at a "slow" pace.

Rich

Thanks Rich!

Thats kinda what I do..but my left hand gets real tired real fast just handlind the bullets.

and am looking for an alternitave..something to damp the event.

When I can I am going to get a bullet feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!

Jim

Older Super 1050s had the fast-index problem. There's a different part available if needed.

Before I got the KISS feeder, I moved the powder drop to next to the seat station to cut down the spillage as well.

Before that, I quit using 4756 and went to 7625 cause it fits much better..

Is that an older 1050? I think the newer ones have a slower index that is not as prone to throw the powder out of the case. The older ones (if I'm remembering correctly) waited as long as possible to index to allow longer rifle cartridges to clear the tool head before indexing. Now, I believe, it depends on the cartridge the machine is originally set up for.

Guy

Thanks for responding!!

ITS OLD got it soon after it came out, set up in 9mm.

has probibly 200,000 or more rnds thru it..its been seting being neglected for 17 years.

1 month ago I started shooting again...dont know why I stopped to begin with???

I just cant run it as fast as I used to,.

It does index quite abrubtly...did I spell that rite????

Slow ...Jim

Older Super 1050s had the fast-index problem. There's a different part available if needed.

Before I got the KISS feeder, I moved the powder drop to next to the seat station to cut down the spillage as well.

Before that, I quit using 4756 and went to 7625 cause it fits much better..

Thanks!

moving the powder station is a great idea..1 less jump to deal with. :D