Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp Heatsink

Polytech

I was looking around their site while making a list of parts for a new gun and found the heatsink. Do any of you guys have any experience with this part? I know their site says it improves cooling and barrel life, but I like to get outside opinions first. It seems like a cheap solution to extending barrel life, if it works.

Brad

While I do not have one, I did ask when building my last upper. The tech told me it will the keep the POI from changing as the barrel gets hot on long hoser courses. Not being an auto shooter and coupled with the fact our courses are not that long I figured I didn't need one. The sink works well because most of the heat is generated about 1" to 2" in front of the chamber where the bullet is at maximum friction with the rifling. I am sure it would provide barrel life...I just wish I got to shoot that much! For what it costs I should have probably put one on, but I was still trying to swallow the grand my upper cost me.

I have the heatsink on my latest JP rifle. I think it helps cool the barrel. I decided to try it do to living in Florida with the heat we have in the summer. The handguard on the gun with the heatsink stays much cooler than the one without it.