Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Springs

kmca

i've seen extra power and standard firing springs for the 1911 type guns. extra power mainly to prevent accidental discharge when you drop your gun. Quite a few manufacturers went with a extra power firing pin spring instead of a firing pin block to prevent accidental discharge due to a dropped gun. How do you think manufacturers like les baer and wilson got by the california drop test. stoopid california approved list <_<

i don't think it really matters if you use a xp firing pin spring with a light or heavy recoil spring. different situation for the glock though.....

i've seen extra power and standard firing springs for the 1911 type guns. extra power mainly to prevent accidental discharge when you drop your gun. Quite a few manufacturers went with a extra power firing pin spring instead of a firing pin block to prevent accidental discharge due to a dropped gun. How do you think manufacturers like les baer and wilson got by the california drop test. stoopid california approved list <_<

i don't think it really matters if you use a xp firing pin spring with a light or heavy recoil spring. different situation for the glock though.....

Thanks for the answer. It is about a 1911 type pistol. I was just wondering if I should keep the fp spring togethers with the recoil springs.

A lot of what would be considered in determining which one to be used has to do with the pressure of the cartridge, firing pin length, firing pin hole size, primer, and barrel linkdown timing.

The readers digest version is look at the primer indents. If there is a wipe mark from the firing pin you will probably want an extra power to pull the firing pin back before the barrel unlocks. Primer flow into the firing pin hole is the opposite end of the spectrum. If your primer indents are nice and round everything is good. If not post pictures and see if the group can help.

A lot of what would be considered in determining which one to be used has to do with the pressure of the cartridge, firing pin length, firing pin hole size, primer, and barrel linkdown timing.

The readers digest version is look at the primer indents. If there is a wipe mark from the firing pin you will probably want an extra power to pull the firing pin back before the barrel unlocks. Primer flow into the firing pin hole is the opposite end of the spectrum. If your primer indents are nice and round everything is good. If not post pictures and see if the group can help.

Thanks. I'm not having firing pin problems, I was just wondering if I have to keep them separate or not :D