Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hopalong

hopalong

Thought I may as well get in on this..............

What division? Which gun? Where is it? Where's the Ammo? Minor or Major?

Damn, too many options..........I think I'll have a beer! :D

On a more serious note, I did clean my Ltd gun from the last time I shot it.........at the North Carolina State match in October.........It's a start. :blink:

Hopalong

An IDPA shooter once bragged to me... that the slide of his 9 mm Springer hadn't been off the frame for cleaning in 5,000 rounds... His idea of "cleaning" was a blast of brake cleaner fluid.. and then some WD-40--- a couple times a year!

I shot with this guy for a two or three years and believe that what he told was was true.....

I think his way of "cleaning" his "piece" is a bad idea... but I also think most of us regular shooters tend to be too anal about our pistol cleaning.

BTW-- This IDPA "nut case" never had a gun failure in the years I shot with him.

I guess it speaks to the ability of the 1911 pattern to survive this type owner.

Dennis,

It was raining and I did not want to get wet while deer hunting.

MIshootist.......I once tried to do the same with my first Para Ordanace P-16 and did not clean that dude, period!!! for 5 months (shooting quite regular......2 times a week and 3 matches a month) while also shooting lead. (factory configuration too) and it and the mags performed flawlessly......cleaned it for the TN state championship where it did great but the nut behind the gun came off. ;)

Now onto this training, Diary thing.

I did not get to go to the range, nor dryfire............but did reload 500 rounds on the 650. ;) (gotta have ammo to burn at the range if I ever get there)

How's that? got right back on subject.

Hopalong

OK, made it out to the range today so I actually have some info about shooting.

Tested my newly assembled AR-15 Carbine. It has a red dot with a one minute module in it. At 100 yds if I hold center of the "Head" If I don't pull it when it goes bang it will give me a pretty A every time. :)

I have decided this year to attempt to learn how to shoot "again" so have during the past few months aquired accesories for my Kimber Eclipse .45, It is factory except a S&A magwell, and a 2 3/4 lb trigger.

I have picked up some Cobra mags by Tripp, a CR belt, and a Serpa Holster from Blackhawk. I don't intend to shoot Single Stack but have the equipment in the position called for so I can shoot some IDPA with it and some 3-gun/Multigun .

The Serpa is the one that has the little button you hit to release the locking device while drawing, I like it as you will NOT get the gun out unless you hit it........but don't miss while attempting to draw(can you say self inflicted wedgie :blink: )

This .45 Auto buisness is new to me so you folks bear with me ( I have casually shot one, and have shot it in a few IDPA matches, but trust me this is uncharted waters)

When I go to the range, after I load mags I do 10 minutes of dryfire draws.......being the new to me holster postition and the lock to hit I set my timer for a 1.50 par time for this dryfire time. I found myself beating it with an acceptable sight picture unless I missed the lock button. <_<

I shoot 8 inch steel static plates so I don't have to paste holes and the plates are always there, I don't have to staple them up ect, ect. Any way, when I started shooting (1 shot draw drill) I found myself getting 90% hits in the 1.30-1.40 range and 1.50 was a gimmie...........OK for this new stuff(for now).

When I went to two shot drills I found at the first that my second shot was going over the plate but by a small margin. Until I tightend up my grip and actually held the gun. I personally cannot have the grip BE talks about in his book or the gun runs me instead of me running the gun. I also found after a few of the 2 shot drills that a split of .15 would get me a hit/miss with the second shot going high even after I corrected my grip. BUT a split of .17 would get me 2 hits(I don't double tap - I let the sights dictate but as I look back the sights are on the top edge of the plate on the .15 splits)

Reloads--------something that needs SERIOUS practice and dryfire :(:blink::wacko: most were in the 2 second range, the best was 1.85 :angry::angry: (What is bad is I can beat that with my revolver).

So in retrospect.

This .45 KICKED MY A$$!!!!! But this is the first battle of the WAR that I'm going to win! ;)

AND I HATE the tritium insert on the front sight(All black for me)

Hopalong

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go on the options thing......

This weekend we had our local club match, I had planned on the Kimber until a fellow club member told me he was going to shoot Revolver and said I should shoot mine with him.

So what the hell, might as well. He did not show(thought it was going to rain) but had another new wheelgunner show up. :)

The last time I touched my revolver was the USPSA Revolver nationals last September at Barry so I figgured I'd be a little rusty.

Yep, reloads were inconsistant. form was way off and my rating of myself was about 80% at the most (compared to when Shooting in top Revo form).

Match results say I shot 73.6% of the Open A class shooter that won the match and I was never less than 5 match points off the best points per stage. (small victories). I felt slow and out of sinc and boy did that 625 feel weird.

So what do we get from this experience???

If you don't use it you lose it. :wacko::huh::blink::(

Maybe that helps.

Hopalong

BTW-- This IDPA "nut case" never had a gun failure in the years I shot with him.

I guess it speaks to the ability of the 1911 pattern to survive this type owner.

I ran 50,000 + rounds through my Glock 22 without ever cleaning it, or changing out any springs or the barrel. Never failed once.

Yep, reloads were inconsistant. form was way off and my rating of myself was about 80% at the most (compared to when Shooting in top Revo form).

Your reloads may have been a little off, but you did a great job of talking them in and at least you didn't leave your gun at home..... :blink::lol:

Great shooting with you Sam!

• 3 months later...

Not a whole lot to add since early, I've had inner ear troubles so shooting is kind of on the back burner.

Have a couple of friends that asked for "a little help" so have been giving them some tips, and other stuff to work on, change of stance, grip changes, ACCEPTABLE sight pictures ect.

Got my Ltd gun out the other day and they were kicking my ARSE!!! (oh and one is shooting a wheelgun)...........what is the old saying???

Some people do and cannot teach, some people do and can teach, some people just need to teach?????

I fit in there somewhere! ;)

Hopalong

some people do and can teach

That's the one I think you are! :)

A wire brush takes rust right off. All you need is a little brushing up and you will be shiney as new. Don't confuse rust with the inabiltiy to do. You've still got game my friend. ;)

Sorry about the ear trouble :(

Fish,

Arkansas was fun, will be sending you my notes soon.

Jane,

Thanks, I really do enjoy this stuff. I now have different purpose and goals than as close as a year ago. I had wanted to really get good with the wheelgun and let it almost overpower me and most of my life. I now would rather just go shoot any type of firearm and have fun with the folks and new friends I shoot with. and If I can help someone with some type of issue that just is Icing on the cake.

Ears are getting better, but that persitant little ring comes and goes (Dr thinks maybe small damage from when they were full of fluid and infected for over a month) Hope not.

Good shooting to all.

Hop

So...............

After the flat performance at the MS classic, which was an excellent match btw. It is now time to change back over to the wheelgun.

Went to the range yesterday afternoon with it and did some basic stuff just to get refamiliarized with it.

Plate rack run was 42 out of 48. :)

Most draws were running around 1 second, had some good smokers mixed in though.

Reloads were a little off, forgot how much there is to do to get those correct :blink:

Did the TX star a few times just to do it, best one 4.20 with 6 shots........I'll take that, for now. Did run it clean but 4.35.

Tigger finger got tired, going from the 2 1/2 lbs single action STI to the 7+lbs Double action S&W <_< I see some dry fire in the near future.

A-4 in two+ weeks, See some of you there.

Sam