Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs For 9mm And Factory Loads.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I was wondering what recoil spring people are using in there 1911 9mm using factory loads. I tried 8,10,15 and 17 pound springs today. I thought the 8 or 10 pound would allow me to get back on target faster. I was suprised to find that the 15 pound spring worked the best. Has anyone else found this? I know in my STI 2011 in 40 I like the 12 pound spring the best. Let me know your thoughts or am I just crazy. Thanks Eric

I'm shooting a Springfield Loaded 5" in 9mm with factory loads (I'm too old/lazy to reload 9mm) and I use the stock weight #9 spring. Typically, I shoot 115gr FMJ PMC or Rem UMC because they chrono almost 100fps slower than CCI Blazer and Win White Box.

I have tried a lighter #8 spring and it functioned properly but didn't change the shooting characteristics of the gun at all -- same amount of recoil, same small amout of muzzle flip, etc. A heavier spring theoretically should cause stovepiping. One of the many spring related threads on this Forum sugested that for competition shooting ideally we should use the lightest spring for flatter shooting characteristics but my 9mm gun is so easy to shoot well that I have stuck with #9.

Are you shooting a stock gun? Or is it a custom with a lighter slide? Can you explain the shooting characteristics with the #15 springs vs. stock a bit more, please. Which ammo are you shooting and what weight bullets?

Hello: The pistol I am shooting is a Kimber Eclipse 10mm that I converted to 9mm. The ammo I was using was CCI Blazer aluminum case 115grain. It seems to me that the 8 and 10 pound springs gave more muzzle flip than the 15 pound spring. The 17 pound spring gave more muzzle flip than the 8 pound. I use a shock buff as well. I know it sounds weird that the heavy spring actually gave less muzzle flip. I don't know if the lighter spring is allowing the frame to hit harder than with the 15 pound spring? I have not had any ejection problems or extraction problems at all. The pistol is all stock except the barrel change. I will be using the pistol for IDPA and USPSA. Thanks Eric

Eric, I had a SA 9mm for a while. I never did like the way it recoiled. I also went through a series of springs and bullet weights.

IMO you will be better off putting a .40 barrel in your Kimber. You can get the same number of rounds in the gun to start - 10+1. The recoil cycle is much better with the .40, feeding is more reliable and bigger holes.

Edited by Joe D

Joe: I will be installing a 40 barrel in this Kimber as well. I talked to Schuemann yesterday and it is on it's way---Hooraayy! I was trying the 9mm just to try it in a 10mm pistol. It shoots very accurate and works great. I want the 40 single stack for USPSA since I can shoot major with it. Once I have the 40 barrel fitted I will play with the different mags as you have suggested. Once that is all done I will sell the 9mm barrel setup. Thanks again for all the great info. Thanks Eric

• 1 month later...
Eric

If you are shooting single stack, the .40 is minor.

only .45 makes major power factor. I know this is screwed up. The

main pain in the but that wanted this knows. I told him.

I'm a bit confused. Which games and divisions are you referring to ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I have a friend that I put a 15 pound recoil spring in his Kimber 9mm and he likes it better than the factory spring. I guess what works for some doesn't work for all but you may want to try the 15 pound spring. Thanks Eric

Minimum bullet diameter for Major in USPSA Single Stack is .40. Not sure about plain old Single Stack rules.

Eric, just stuck a .40 barrel in that 9mm Kimber I stole the other week. Feeds flawlessly with the 10 round IDPA friendly mags.

Edited by Joe D

Joe: What spring are you using for the 40 barrel? I am using a 14 pound for IDPA and also single stack USPSA. It seems to work well for both. I will finish the rest of the IDPA mags this week. Not sure if I'm going to shoot single stack or the 2011 in our IDPA match in ESP next month. Thanks Eric

I have settled on a 12.5 # ISMI for all of my 1911s - 9mm, .40 or .45. , Major and Minor. My second choice is a 11#.

Did you try any of the extended Metal Form .45 mags?

Edited by Joe D

• 3 weeks later...

I run Wolff 12-pound variable power recoil springs in my full-size 9mm GMs, an ISMI flat wire 17-pounder in my Cylinder & Slide Shop 9mm Officer's Parabellum. After years of running light springs in my guns, I find myself lately coming around to heavier springs to get the guns cycling faster.

• 4 weeks later...
Joe: I will be installing a 40 barrel in this Kimber as well. I talked to Schuemann yesterday and it is on it's way---Hooraayy! I was trying the 9mm just to try it in a 10mm pistol. It shoots very accurate and works great. I want the 40 single stack for USPSA since I can shoot major with it. Once I have the 40 barrel fitted I will play with the different mags as you have suggested. Once that is all done I will sell the 9mm barrel setup. Thanks again for all the great info. Thanks Eric

What do you need to change out the barrel to make it a 40? can you do this with a 45acp to 40 s&w as well. any info would be greatly appreciated.