Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Books, Videos, Or Basic Class

SA Friday

Are there any really good books or videos, or even a basic class I could take, to learn the basics on 1911/2011 gunsmithing?

I'm not looking as something that's just going to teach me how to disassemble and reassemble a 1911 70 or 80 series (well beyond that level). I'm looking at some of the basics techniques; fitting grip safeties, ambi-safeties, barrels, etc.

I'm not looking at making custom guns like Benny Hill etc either, but I would like to be able to buy the basic parts (and tools) and fit them together.

Thanks for any input.

I've seen the Wilson series and it's not particularly good for troubleshooting. It's OK for understanding how to fit parts that are high quality to begin with. It's very Wilson part centric.

The low-point in the series is when the guy fitting the grip safety screws up the work and says "well, you can't expect perfect results..." :huh: The hammer and sear section isn't great, it's done without a discussion of the angles although the actual work is demonstrated even if there's not much explanation. It's a very old series and the production quality is pretty low, bad sound levels, etc...

I've read good reviews of the AGI series but I have no first hand knowledge.

I've seen the AGI series. They're not bad, but tend to focus on putting the 'right' parts together and less about the why of doing it the way they do. The best part I remember was the extractor fitting part. They had a giant wooden extractor made and start hacking away at it.

AGI is good but as a novice gun builder, like all of us would like to do,

I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

take the AGI course.****my tip is that do not cut the frame!!! if you do,

take .005 off the most and cut very slowly. MEASURE TWICE AND CUT ONCE!!

The only down side about being gunsmithing ON agi is that HE USES A mACHINE.. I would like to buy tools and do it manually..cheaper tools.

at the beggining, it makes me think twice to buy a lathe and milling but it is so expensive. so I decided to do it manually with simple tools from Brownells and GOOD OLD FILE!!! take your time good luck!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Hello: You can build a pistol with hand tools. It is just easier and faster with a mill. The first suggestion I can give is make sure you have good measuring tools. I'm a Tool and die maker and can tell you that good measuring tools and how to use them will help more than anything else. I learned to fit things the old way with files and blueing. If you take your time and buy good tools you will be able to build your pistol. I am no gunsmith but can tell you I have seen some real bad smithing done by so called experts. A good starting project would be to fit a new barrel to a pistol. Buy a gunsmith fit barrel and fit it to a 1911 pistol. This will tell you alot about your abilities to fit parts and pieces and won't cost a whole lot if you mess up. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric