Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airic

Airic

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good Airic. I like to bring the gun in a little bit more than you do - something that MM and TT showed us when they came down last year for a class. Looked smoking fast.

I used to bring the gun in a little closer to my body, but Ive been working on trying to cut out wasted movements. I now bring the gun back as little as possible so that I have less side to side when Im trying to get the gun back on target.

Dryfire #1 today.

Worked through all my drills in slow motion today. I didnt do any fast reps. I really want to try to "burn in" the actions. At a slower speed I can do every rep perfect, and everyone knows perfect practice make perfect. :D

Well something rare happened tonight, I actually got to squeeze a little practice in at night time.

I mainly worked on reloads for the 30 mins that I had to myself, but its nice to get a small practice in when I didnt expect it. Almost like I got away with something. :D

Dryfire #2 today, strong/weak hand drills

First thing I have to say about today practice is about my grip. I felt really locked into the gun today, my grip felt solid as a rock. It was so comfortable. It seemed like the gun was just floating on a pillow out in front of me and it took no effort at all to move it through a course of fire.

I wonder if this is the feeling I should be looking for? A totally relaxed feeling?

With the double tap championship looming as my first major match of the year, its getting close to time to start thinking about "match training". The stages were released yesterday, giving me a good look at the challenges I need to be ready for. Probably around the 1st of Feb. I will change up my dryfire routines from "skills" work to actual "match" work. If you notice, there is no strong/weak hand work in the match. I will tone down that practice to make room for other new drills based on some of the start positions indicated in the stages. Now granted, I wont eliminate strong/weak hand practice completely, just do it less for now.

I working up a small set of movement drills to add to my practice. Those are going to be really important for the DTC. When running and gunning, you gotta have your footwork straight or your wasting time.

Dryfire #3, Plate Drills

I'm really starting to feel some improvement from doing this everyday. I really want to get to the range and confirm these feelings.

Things I noticed today:

1. I am seeing really good sight pictures

Ive always had trouble with this, but now i feel like im getting very good visual input.

2. My skill in calling shots has improved

"You have gained 1 point in the calling shots skill" (any mmorpg players out there?). While working through these plate drills today, I was very confident in my shots. When I pushed myself a little bit, even enough to miss a plate, I automatically went back and shot it.

This friday I get to start ordering all my stuff for the open gun. Im thinking I may go ahead and shoot limited class for a bit while I'm waiting for the gun. Maybe get some match practice in with the race gear.

Havent shot in limited since I first started shooting uspsa. Maybe I can shoot a couple good limited classifers and get that last 5.5% to push me to master.

Dryfire #1 today

I'm consistantly seeing the same things that I mentioned in earlier posts. Im glad its my friday, maybe I can get to the range in the next two days.

Im trying to come up with some movement drills to add into my practice. I'm working in a small room, so I'm thinking its just gonna have to be entry/exit from box....reload as i'm moving out of the box. Stuff like that.

Does anyone have any good movement drills that can be done in small spaces?

Up/down into a squat position (draw, table start) & mix in a reload on the way down, then on the way up.

Practice 'angling around' a makeshift barricade of some sort (target on right side, angle around left side & vice versa)

Reloads - 1-2 steps - forward, right, left, backward

Up/down into a squat position (draw, table start) & mix in a reload on the way down, then on the way up.

Practice 'angling around' a makeshift barricade of some sort (target on right side, angle around left side & vice versa)

Sounds like some good stuff....

Now to find a table and barricade to use....w/o pissin my wife off. :D:D

Here is my livefire routine, but it could be adapted to dryfire. And you could shorten the distances and use scaled down targets like the ones I made.

My Movement Drills

You have seen my dryfire drills....look at the ones I do for "Match Skills". Might help give you some ideas....

Oh and here is the barricade I made. Cheap, collapsable and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Barricade

Good luck and lookin' good... :)

Sounds like some good stuff....

Now to find a table and barricade to use....w/o pissin my wife off. :D:D

Folding card tables work good and you can get them cheap at walmart or big lots.

Barricade on the cheap--- grab wife's ironing board and stand it on end, prob up at the base. Voila, instant barricade. :)

-Mike

Your working under the assumption that my wife actually iron's clothes...

I dont live in that world... :o

Maybe I should start with a little history. I am from a small town in southwestern Oklahoma. I started my competition shooting "career" in 2000, at Indian Territories Practical Shooters in Duke, Ok. I met a couple guys, (Bill D. and Glenn M.) through a mutual friend. They convinced me I needed to come out and start shooting. I didnt have any equipment, I didnt even own a pistol. Bill D. supplied me with a Beretta 92, and all the fixins to start shooting. I shot every time there was a match. Glenn and Bill carried me to every match they drove to. OKC, matches in Texas, Area 4. I dont know how much money they spent to keep me shooting, but I truly appreciated it ( I was in college at the time, no job. No money = no shooting)

The one thing I didn't see in your diary is where you repayed the generosity of Bill and Glenn by doing the same for someone else. The best way I know to say thanks to those that helped you on yoru way, is to pass the help on.

Think about it.

Congratulations on your progress. Personally, I think you should have kept with Production until you achieved your goal. I'm sure you'll enjoy your open gun too, but, personaly, I think it would be cool to make GM in more than one division. YMMV.

Lee

Maybe I should start with a little history. I am from a small town in southwestern Oklahoma. I started my competition shooting "career" in 2000, at Indian Territories Practical Shooters in Duke, Ok. I met a couple guys, (Bill D. and Glenn M.) through a mutual friend. They convinced me I needed to come out and start shooting. I didnt have any equipment, I didnt even own a pistol. Bill D. supplied me with a Beretta 92, and all the fixins to start shooting. I shot every time there was a match. Glenn and Bill carried me to every match they drove to. OKC, matches in Texas, Area 4. I dont know how much money they spent to keep me shooting, but I truly appreciated it ( I was in college at the time, no job. No money = no shooting)

The one thing I didn't see in your diary is where you repayed the generosity of Bill and Glenn by doing the same for someone else. The best way I know to say thanks to those that helped you on yoru way, is to pass the help on.

Think about it.

Congratulations on your progress. Personally, I think you should have kept with Production until you achieved your goal. I'm sure you'll enjoy your open gun too, but, personaly, I think it would be cool to make GM in more than one division. YMMV.

Lee

Thats one of the reasons I offer my help as much as I can around my home ranges. I have already offered to help out as an assistant MD, and when I have the time (most of the matches I shoot, I have to leave as soon as I'm done shooting so I can make it to work on time.) I always help out with setup and tear down.

The main thing that made me decide to get the open gun was opportunity. Ive wanted to get one built for years, but I have never really had the money. Opportunity presented itself as a promotion at work, so I made the decision. Trust me, I can never get rid of the iron sights...I carry them everyday on my job, and I still gotta whip every one's tail at the PD during qualification time :D

Making GM in more than one division is one of my goals on the long term plan. I dont put a lot of weight on it though...I want to be competitive, and I want to win.

Dryfire #2 - strong/weak hand drills

Practice today went really smooth. I felt really good this morning and I was motivated to make myself better.....

So motivated that I think I kinda went crazy. After my dryfire, I started printing out paper targets and poppers and plates. I added target arrays on every wall. I photo shopped a couple so I would have some hard cover on the targets. After it was all said and done, I stood in the middle of the room and spun around looking at all the targets....I realized I had just built a 32 field course :D:D

There was actually method to the mayhem though, I was setting up the targets so I could get some movement drills in with the little space I have. I then spent 2 hours working on the new targets, doing the movement drills and shooting the different arrays in different ways. (todays my day off, maybe I should do something else than dryfire?..nah)

This now gives me 4 dryfire sets to work on, with one more possible once I build a couple props. I think this is gonna turn out pretty good.

Dryfire #3, Plate Drills

Well, I wasnt so pleased with practice today. I think my mind was somewhere else. It went very well, but mentally I wasnt into the dryfire.

Some things I noticed today:

1. I'm blowing away my old par times on plate racks

I am seeing real improvement in my transitions and overall ability to shoot a course of fire. Today after I had just finished #31, plate loads, I accidentally left my par time up when I started #34 - plate, reload, strong. I did my first rep full speed and smoked the par time (which was for plate loads....with both hands.) That shows me some improvement.

2. My shot calling ability is surprising me every day.

Im making up shots quickly, without hesitation. Now the way I practice, I dont really ever miss...I make sure I get my A zone and plate hits, but sometimes I push myself once or twice just to see what happens. When I push myself too fast, and miss a plate, I make it up.

Even with my mental system not 100% today, I was still impressed with some of my performance. I believe the hard work I'm putting in will pay off when I shoot again.

I'm actually ordering a CED 7000 tommorow. Right now Im using the RU Ready program on my computer. It works pretty good for what I'm doing, and it was free :P

Go to my MySpace page, check out the new layout. As soon as I get the open gun in I'll replace to background with pics of it.

Ok so I was gonna retest my par times tommorow, but the wife and the oldest girl took off to do some shopping, leaving me and the 4 month old by ourselves. Now the baby loves to watch daddy dryfire, she thinks its funny. So why should i upset the baby?

All times were done from a production rig (Uncle Mikes kydex, Blackhawk mag pouches). I use 1/3 size USPSA targets at 3 yards (9 feet) and 2 in. circles for plates at 3 yards (9 feet). After the math I'm simulating a real size USPSA paper target at 27 feet and a 6 inch plate at 27 feet.

I shoot a glock 17, with Sevigny competition sights.

#1 Sight Picture Confirmation

Acceptable A zone sight Picture @ 15 feet

Old par time: .8 sec

New Par time: .5 sec

#2 10 yard Index

Acceptable A zone sight picture @ 30 feet (27 for me b/c of small room)

Old Par Time: 1.0 sec

New Par Time: .6 sec

#3 10 yard Surrender Index

Acceptable A zone sight picture from surrender position @ 27 feet

Old Par Time: .8 sec

New Par Time: .6 sec

#4 Turn and Draw

Acceptable A zone after a turn and draw

Old Par: 1.0 sec

New Par: .7 sec

#5 Strong Hand Index

Acceptable A zone with Strong Hand only

New Par: .8 sec

#6 Weak Hand Index

Acceptable A zone with weak hand only

Old Par: 1.2 sec

New Par: 1.0

#7 Burkett Reloads

Reload to the edge of the magwell

Old Par: .6 sec

New Par: .5 sec

#8 6 reload 6

2 shot on T-1 through T-3, reload and repeat.

Old Par: 5.9 sec

New Par: 4.5 sec

#10 El Prez

Turn, Draw, 2 shots on T-1 through T-3, reload and repeat.

Old Par: 5.7 sec

New Par: 4.5 sec

#13 Front sight forward

Draw, engage T-1 through T-3 with 2 shots each

Old Par: 2.1 sec

New Par: 1.9 sec

#15 2 reload 2

Draw, 2 shots on T-1, reload then 2 more

Old Par: 2.6 sec

New Par: 2.3

Plate Drills (2 inch plate, 3 yards)

#28 Plate Index

Acceptable sight picture on plate

New Par: .8 sec

#29 Straight Plates

Draw then engage 6 plates, one shot each

Old Par: 3.3 sec

New Par: 2.5 sec

#31 Plate Loads

Draw engage plates 1-3, reload and engage plates 4-6

Old Par: 4.5 sec

New Par: 3.4 sec

#37 El Platezente

Turn, Draw engage plates 1-3, reload and engage plates 4-6

Old Par: 4.5 sec

New Par: 4.0 sec

This isn't every drill I did par time on today, but I posted the major ones. I just wanted to post these times to show the improvement I have made in 23 days since I last did par times. 23 days working for an hour a day. This is a real credit to Steve Anderson's book, those are some great drills. With my new par times now set, I will need to figure out some reasonable goals to set for the next time I record par.

Have you used Burkett's dry fire page? It's got different targets for you to "shoot" at, as well as an interactive timer that will give you range commands and set up par times.

No, I haven't tried that, I'll go take a look at it.

...So motivated that I think I kinda went crazy. After my dryfire, I started printing out paper targets and poppers and plates. I added target arrays on every wall. I photo shopped a couple so I would have some hard cover on the targets. After it was all said and done, I stood in the middle of the room and spun around looking at all the targets....I realized I had just built a 32 field course :D:D

Glad to see others so afflicted...reminds me of a dryfire setup I used a couple of years ago.

One night during dryfire with this garage setup, one of our non-shooting neighbors stops by the house. My wife opens the door into the garage & says "here he is Brent...doing his crazy GUN-STUFF" :D ...my neighbor had a quizzed look on his face, yet proceeded to engage me in conversation about our kids or a birthday party or something he had to talk to me about...and never really asked me 'what the heck are you doing?' He didn't stay long...two questions & 'hey, I gotta go...' At the time, he didn't know that I had this 'affection' for shooting, and I often wondered what the conversation was like when he got back home & described to his wife how 'honey, our neighbor has lost it...Steve was playing REAL guns in the garage' B)

Keep up the dryfire, it'll pay off for you during matches.