Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apple And Osx And Laptop/desktop Questions!

What do you computer gurus think of the Apple system? I have alsways used the Windows operating systems. Is the OSx worth the switch?

With my work, I need a laptop, I do have one now. My son is ready for a laptop and I was thinking of giving him mine and upgrading.

Here is my other question. Being I travel so much, I would like to have all of my "work" on one computer, and not like it is now, work done at home on my desktop, work done traveling on my laptop. I use Outloook Express for e-mail, so this is a B!tch. Some mail is on the the laptop, some on the desktop. Needless to say, this is NOT very efficient.

Is there an easy way around this two computer "system"?

In the past I have heard of docking stations for laptops that essentially make them into desktops once in the docking station at "homebase". Do they still do that?

HELP!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!

I plug a combo wireless keyboard and mouse in one USB port, printer in one and a 21" flat screen in another and use my laptop for all my work. Easy. With USB stuff most laptops have plenty of ports.

Give your son the new computer (PC) as it will take all the horsepower out there to run todays games.

OSX is a good solid system and the transition is not to hard. I use both and go back and forth from Mac to PC without any problems.

The limit on the Mac is compatibility, if work requires special software it may not be avaiable on the Mac. Most major programs are not a problem, such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Photoshop etc. However, as an example Microsoft Access is not available on the Mac. This in my opinion is the only potential drawback to the Mac/OSx.

The new intel Mac will run both OSx and Windows, but you would have to buy Windows to install on the Mac, which would probably be another $200 or $300. I have no first hand experience with this.

I don't know if there is a docking station for the Mac. Docking stations are very convenient for laptops, but as Merlin stated there are alternatives.

Trying to do email on two computers is tough, the best choic there would probably be some sort of web mail. Everything is done online so there is only one place for the mail you have received or sent.

Z,

The easiest way to solve the multiple computer email issue is a webclient with huge storage like gmail or whatever service you like. Gmail offers the service of hosting your own domain name for email and they apply their excellent gmail interface to this. I'm a bit of a fanboy, sorry for the zealotry.

For the Apple laptops, they're good if you don't need specialized software. OSX has an excellent user interface, the laptop hibernate/suspend functionality is the best implementation I've ever seen (lightening fast resume), the case is well done. They're of course more expensive bit-for-bit than a comparable Dell for instance.

I would consider waiting for the next revision of the hardware. The current Intel Macs have some nagging issues that "just happen" with a version 1 hardware platform. Software that works on the Intel Macs is beginning to catch up but I would definitely make a list of your specific software needs and do the research.

ZHunter, PM me with a phone number and I will call ya' and toss a few concepts at ya' that may just set your world on end!

The new Mac's are ready for prime time and a dual boot system is really easy. I have built up almost a dozen dual boot MacBook Pro's for a number of my road warrior clients and they are the best solution going now. A Mac laptop can drive a huge display and accept outboard keyboards so in effect, it can be both a portable and a desktop.

There are also some options on closeout Apple products that could save you some big bux if you want the option.

PM me and let's talk on the phone. I think I have the right direction for you right up my sleeve ;-)

Trying to do email on two computers is tough, the best choic there would probably be some sort of web mail. Everything is done online so there is only one place for the mail you have received or sent.

I agree OSX is a generally good platform. Another solution to the windows compatibility problem is to use Parallels, you still have to buy a copy of XP or Vista but you can switch from Mac to windows without rebooting.

Also for email on two computers try to see you your ISP or work supports IMAP instead of POP. There are alot of differences between the protocols but the important one is that it keeps track of what you have read/deleted on the server rather than just the client. I find it alot easier to use Mail (mac email client) than a webmail webpage, more interactive and more features.

If you have multiple Macs needing to keep their mail in sync and YET you want the niceties of POP style mail, then the Apple Mail application and the Apple .Mac service are the perfect way to go.

Apple mail uses a .Mac account in POP mode on each machine, but still allows webmail access if you are away from your computers AND it keeps each machines POP accounts sychronized whenever they have web access. Cat's Meow! This is so cool for $99 a year that it's ridiculous. You also get a gig of FTP storage and auto-syncing calendars, contacts and bookmarks in addition to mail. This is THE way to keep two computers synced.

The FTP space allows 1GB of files to be kept as a locally accessible disk image right on your desktop. No web access, you still have the files. As soon as you have web access it auto-syncs with the .Mac server and updates the other Mac computers you have automatically when then next have internet access. Now you have the same mail, calendars, contacts, browser bookmarks AND 1GB of personal files synced across all your machines for $99/year. Yeah, this the way to go baby!