Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rebarrel 9 X 23 To 9mm?

dfwmiket

Has anyone rebarreled a gun built 9 x 23 to run 9 major? It seems to be that a simple barrel change is all that would be needed and you'd be good to go. I'm sure nothing is that easy.......so what am I missing? 9mm brass is MUCH cheaper than 9 x 23. B)

-Mike

You might have some magazine problems. running factory-length 9X19 in magazines set up for the 9X23 might lead to feeding problems. And it might not. You can lessen said (potential) problems by loading the 9X19 longer than usual, which will require a bit more powder than the shorter length would.

Do a cost-benefit analysis: How much wil a new barrel, fitted and comped, cost? How much are your annual brass costs, really? How long will it take to pay back the cost of changing? Will you, once you've paid for the change, still have any barrel life left?

I still maintain that its a false economy... ;)

Mike, Starline 9 Super Comp is around $127/K, and if its anything like .38 Super Comp, it'll last forever. If you do as many folks do and buy 9mm brass and shoot it once at Major, the only benefit you gain is not picking your brass up - which just litters on the range.

Of course, if you're going to swap barrels, just switch over to .38 Super Comp and have done with it :)

The above is in no way implying that 9 Major is in some way inferior, blah blah blah...

I am considering a change from 38 super to 9mm. The only thing holding me back right now is reliablity of my mags. I want to be able to switch back and forth between cals. If I use spacers in my mags I will have pull them out when I change cals.

SVI mags will run 9x19 and 38 super without modification.

The economy of 9mm over 9x23 comes from being able to buy 5K pcs of once fired brass for say $ 100, load it all at once and be done for awhile. The same for 38 super brass from is $ 500+.

There is no harm using your existing comp if it is in good shape.

My biggest concern, besides brass cost, was that I don't hear of many people using this setup...... perhaps I may be a bit hasty. I may give it a whirl for a bit and see how that goes.

Thanks to everyone so far.....keep e'm coming!

-Mike

I've been shooting 9x23 for over 10 years now. I had a gun built for it as soon as I could after I read about it in Shooting Times. Just because you don't hear much about it doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of them out there.

I currently have 6 of them and shoot them in Action, IPSC and IDPA. I came in 5th at Bianchi last year with a 9x23 and I know Doug Koenig shoots it in his IPSC gun.

I started out using Winchester brass in the beginning but switched to Starline shortly after that and have never looked back.

I'd stick with what you have.

If that new 9mm barrel doesn't work out a few minutes with a reamer will make it a 9x21, 9x23, Super, or Supercomp. I don't see a whole lot to lose other than time and some money. If it works, great, if not, all isn't lost.

Don't forget how much more powder you'll have spilling all over your 650's Shellplate with 9mm Major vs 9x23.

be

Well... you just start running faster powders to fix that one, Brian... :D

I switched my Open Para from 38 Super to 9mm last year. I love it. With a Para, there are no spacers needed for 9mm to work in the mags. No tuning either as they worked right to begin with. I had a Trubore S2 installed, the extractor adjusted, and the gun runs great.

As for the economics, I get all the once fired 9mm I want for free so, yes, there is a savings for me. But even if you have to buy it, once fired is about as cheap as any brass gets. I also think the 9mm is easier to load for than the Super was. The brass isn't as picky about feeding like the Super. They stack in the mags better ( not an issue with Super Comp and clones). It takes less powder to make major. Plus it will shoot 125 PF ammo just fine with nothing more than a lighter recoil spring. So it is also a sweet steel gun.

If I had an STI/SV, I may be more inclined to stay with a Super or Super Comp just to avoid the mag issues. But once properly set up, I think the 9 Major is way more fun.

I had an extra $.02 so I thought I would chime in. B)

9mm Major seems to be in vogue again. I've heard all the arguments about brass costs, reclaiming, lost brass matches etc etc etc. 9mm brass is cheaper. Shoot the Tue Night Steel at Rio and see how much of your brass you get back and that's with 3 or 4 shooters on brass right behind you. Bottom line is everything we do in action shooting is pricey, but I agree 9mm Major is fun.

My 9mm SV's (three of them) run fine with both SV and STI mags. Since 9Major is ok in USPSA my question is why wouldn't you shoot 9mm? I don't see any advantage in the longer more costly cases.

• 2 weeks later...
i konw someone who use to shoot 38super and convert caliber from 38super to 9mm without changing barrel.

That will work in a pinch. However, all that is holding the cartridge in place is the extractor. I get blown primers when I've tried it. Reliability wasn't as good either (maybe 85% vs. 99.9% with Super).

In any case, it's not something I would make a habit of doing.

Edited by Garrett