Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are .357 Loads In Ssr An Acceptable Idea?

Fuzly

Hi all,

I am new to IDPA but wish I would have went to a match several years ago. It is a lot of fun.

I am classifed in SSP but I have a very nice older S&W 686 I would like to try at a match. This gun is loaded with a quality 110 or 125 JHP load when at home. I would like to try a handload with a 125 grain bullet around 1100 fps to get something close to my home defense load without beating me up. Is this reasonable? Does anybody else ever shoot a match with something close to his/her defense load?

Or should I think of an IDPA match as something different? It sounds like 158 grain .38 +P is what most use in this division; round nose to facilitate easier speedloading.

Fuzly Fuzly Fuzly...... ;)

There are two distinct camps on this. I am sure you will be hearing from both. :D

I would use the load that was the most comfortable (least powerful) to shoot while remaining legal for my class/division. Less wear on tear on me and on the equipment.

.02 from me. :)

In answer to your question, yes. There is nothing wrong with shooting your defense load or something similar in an IDPA match. You will get some shock and awe at even a low end .357 Magnum, but heck, I did just by shooting 9mm loaded with Power Pistol which has a lot of blast and flash for that calibre.

It just depends on whether you are out for the best score or some experience with your self defense weapon.

Edited by Jim Watson

I think the only factory .38 Special ammo that will make the 125 power factor is speer (lawman??) in the blue and yellow boxes.

If you're shooting .38 Special brass, then your only other option is to handload your own ammo.

As far as .357 Magnum goes, I don't know. Wouldn't even have a clue.

I do hear though that even w/ those Speer Lawman (?) .38 Special ammo the cylinder gets so hot that it is easy to get your fingers burnt when trying to reload quickly. So I suppose the cylinder would be even hotter shooting .357 Magnum loads.

Not to make this thread drift into a tactibilly vs. gamer discussion, but like other things in life, what you got out of IDPA has a lot to due with what you put into it.

I would like to try a handload with a 125 grain bullet around 1100 fps to get something close to my home defense load without beating me up. Is this reasonable? Does anybody else ever shoot a match with something close to his/her defense load?

If you want to shoot your defense load in IDPA that's awesome!!! That's what they want you to do. A 125gn @1100 is only 137pf, not a huge difference between that and the 125 floor.

I've shot several IDPA matched with hydra-shoks. It's harsh but if you want "real-world" like they advertise, then "full-power" is what you want to load for, not the 125pf like most.

Enjoy

shoot 38 spl loads. 158 gr round nose bullets are the easiest to perform reloads with.

You will need to chronograph the loads to make sure as the +p stuff is close to the pf floor.

I have used Titegroup with good results.

I'm using 4.3gr Bullseye with the 158gr LSWC in plated brass, for a PF of 131 in my 4" 686 and my 2 1/2" 686.

The brass is cheaper than .357 and readily availible.

Ypu may find that a reload MAY be faster with the 38 brass.

RePete.

I shot a few magnums just to see how it worked at a match. If your match has many close in targets you will obliterate them, but other than that it worked well.

I have a model 27 in .357 magnum for ESR, but haven't tried it in a match yet.

I stopped carrying .357 magnums and went to +P .38 specials about 2 years ago, so I stick with them for IDPA now.

There are two distinct camps on this. I am sure you will be hearing from both.

That's what I'm hoping for Merlin. (I had a hunch.) ;)

It just depends on whether you are out for the best score or some experience with your self defense weapon.

Jim, you're right. I don't think either way is right or wrong. I'm probably just going to have to pick one and work up a load. I'm shooting for (pun intended) a 135 pf. Is 10 over the power floor safe if I'm ever chrono'ed?

Keep 'em coming. The quick and informed responses keep me coming back. I was wondering if this idea was off the wall or a worthy experiment. I guess it depends on who I ask. Some will say "go for it" and others will say "why would you do that to yourself".

While we're at it, any thoughts on holsters and speedloaders are also appreciated. I don't have a suitable holster or speedloader holders. As far as speedloaders, I have a couple Comp IIs. I think Comp IIIs would be better, but if I'm trying to duplicate what I would actually carry, I might go "whole hog" and stick with the Comp IIs.

Just read the new posts. Thanks guys.

RePete has a good point. I have A LOT of .38 special brass. .357 brass is another component I would have to purchase.

Given the gun you'll be using, you have three options. You can shoot .38s or low-end .357s in SSR, or higher end .357s in ESR, or alternate as the mood strikes you. :)

I classified in ESR using my 681 and 170 PF .357 Mag ammo loaded with RNLs. I shoot my K frames with .38s with 158 grain RNLs. This is the easiest and cheapest route, and I'm all about easy and cheap. :D

You know, I never thought about ESR. The few guys I know that shoot it use 625s. I am now giving the new option serious consideration. :)

Easy and cheap sounds good to me, and the revolver is all about fun. I may work up two loads.

Now if I try this, am I going to end up hooked and forget where to put a magazine? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I think the only factory .38 Special ammo that will make the 125 power factor is speer (lawman??) in the blue and yellow boxes.

If you're shooting .38 Special brass, then your only other option is to handload your own ammo.

I do hear though that even w/ those Speer Lawman (?) .38 Special ammo the cylinder gets so hot that it is easy to get your fingers burnt when trying to reload quickly. So I suppose the cylinder would be even hotter shooting .357 Magnum loads.

Not to make this thread drift into a tactibilly vs. gamer discussion, but like other things in life, what you got out of IDPA has a lot to due with what you put into it.

Chills..what you said above about the cylinder getting so hot to touch...is a shooter allowed to wear shooting gloves to keep from a chance of dropping the revolver while reloading ??

Chills..what you said above about the cylinder getting so hot to touch...is a shooter allowed to wear shooting gloves to keep from a chance of dropping the revolver while reloading ??

I'm not Chills, but this isn't an issue in a match. Remember, in an IDPA match the CoFs are limited to 18 rounds, which translates to two reloads. That's hardly enough to warm the barrel, much less the cylinder.

Practice is another matter. If you sit there and pump rounds down range, your cylinder and barrel are going to get too hot to handle. What works for me is to shoot about 30 rounds, paste targets, police brass, and start over. Even with Titegroup, or with Major PF .357s, your gun stays a reasonable temperature. I've shot matches with 170 PF .357s in my 681, and heat wasn't a problem. Can't say the same about my shooting, though. :rolleyes:

ETA: S&B .38 Special 158 grain RNL makes the PF, and then some!

Edited by revchuck