Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Is Better, M1s90 Or M2?

Hypersonic

The M2 shoots softer than the M1. Both are inertia operated which means either will kick a bit harder than a gas operated gun (like the Winchester Sx2 mentioned) but the tradeoff is they work when they're dirty. Gas guns have to be clean to run reliably and the O-rings degrade over time and require replacement. The Benelli's run without having to be especially careful with the cleaning process. It's not just a laziness thing, many shotgun matches fire enough rounds to foul a gas gun halfway through the match.

I swear 50% of the 3-gun score comes from picking out reliable guns to start with. The loads commonly used for 3-gun are so light I don't consider the recoil to be a huge factor. Pick the Benelli and if you have the money pick the M2. The 21" barrel is favored for Standard, although the 24" is OK too.

OK, question on the inertia driven guns...? Can you start hanging side saddles and other rounds (weight) on the guns and still have them work? On my SX2 I had 9 rounds in the gun, 8 rounds on the left side of the receiver, and at least 2 on the forearm but have hung up to 6 on the right side of the forearm. Does all that weight affect the inertia system?

Mick

A27257

Mick - Just about everyone who shoots 3 gun runs their guns with all the same crap hanging on them as you mention. I have only heard one person ever say he could choke down a recoil driven gun (M2). I don't/can't and I am a pretty stout 250 lb-er.

Edited by Merlin Orr

thats like asking whats better the old classic Corvette or the new ones. Both are really good, both have thier fans. You won't go wrong with either one.

I have an M1, and would'nt trade it, but I'd like to have an M2 for a second.

Trapr

Merlin, as always yuer ronge, the chokee, was choking an M1, but why would you want to perform a malfunction "on demand"

Edited by bigbrowndog

• 2 weeks later...
thats like asking whats better the old classic Corvette or the new ones. Both are really good, both have thier fans. You won't go wrong with either one.

I have an M1, and would'nt trade it, but I'd like to have an M2 for a second.

Trapr

Merlin, as always yuer ronge, the chokee, was choking an M1, but why would you want to perform a malfunction "on demand"

Hi Trapr

Hope your well mate, I just Ordered myself an M2 & should pick it up very soon, I plan to keep the Browning but looking forward to getting the Benelli. See you in June for a beer or two. :P

N

I think that I've solved the problem of which shotgun to get. I had an old M1 121 from the 80's and just bought a new Benelli M2 and a Winchester SX2 Practical. I think that I'll stop there and not get a Remington 1100.

Also have done the same thing with pumps. I had an old Winchester M12 Riot, but with parts getting hard to find I bought a Benelli Nova. Then had a hard time finding a mag extension tube so bought a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500. I didn't like the Mossberg so I sold it. Then bought a Benelli Super Nova with 26 inch barrel to see if it was any better handling than the 28 inch Nova. Then picked up a Winchester 1300.

I think that I'm all set for almost anything. I'll do some testing over the timer with the various shotguns then decide which I'll keep.

I think that I've solved the problem of which shotgun to get. I had an old M1 121 from the 80's and just bought a new Benelli M2 and a Winchester SX2 Practical. I think that I'll stop there and not get a Remington 1100.

Also have done the same thing with pumps. I had an old Winchester M12 Riot, but with parts getting hard to find I bought a Benelli Nova. Then had a hard time finding a mag extension tube so bought a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500. I didn't like the Mossberg so I sold it. Then bought a Benelli Super Nova with 26 inch barrel to see if it was any better handling than the 28 inch Nova. Then picked up a Winchester 1300.

I think that I'm all set for almost anything. I'll do some testing over the timer with the various shotguns then decide which I'll keep.

Damn, can I come live at your house?